• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

re: Phase Plugs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
re: Phase Plugs

K...

I finally got around to these...actually they've been installed for a while now on my Betsy's...just haven't really sat down with them to listen!!

Improvement...yes...increased soundstage...less directional (shout...not that there was much)...more extended top end...very nice improvement indeed :)

Bad news...I can't listen to them now for more than a half hour or my ears start to ring...what gives?? Insight??

Thanks!!!

Age?

This happened to me when the "quiets" in the music got quieter due to better equipment. Then I noticed my underlying tinnitus. It sucks and actually is less noticeable with a faint background noise, like white noise. But, it always is really loud after listening, and very fatiguing.
Make sure your ears are clear of wax. Sometimes that helps a little.

GM

Joined 2003
Improvement...yes...increased soundstage...less directional (shout...not that there was much)...more extended top end...

Bad news...I can't listen to them now for more than a half hour or my ears start to ring...what gives?? Insight??

My SWAG is that the driver's inherently loud sibilance BW [typical of 'FR' drivers] is no longer being masked by the reduced 'shout' of the lower treble. This is also often perceived as 'extending' the top end, though of course without a before and after measurement can we be sure.

Factor in tinnitus and it can indeed cause listener fatigue. Mine is bad enough that any peaking in the 2, 4, 8 kHz range sounds so 'sharp' that it has me exiting the room 'post-haste' or at least trying to plug my ears as much as practical until I can.

GM

Makes sense!!

And don't get me wrong...the phase plugs do make a difference...but with my ears...I can't enjoy the improvement LOL!!

I know others have and I'm happy for that!!

A couple of my friends grip at me for what I hear and it all seems perfectly fine to them :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.