The Round Mound of Sound - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Wild Burro Audio

Wild Burro Audio DIY full range speakers from Wild Burro Audio Labs

Old 28th December 2012, 02:46 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default The Round Mound of Sound

Here is an early peek at my latest project .....

Click the image to open in full size.

Larger photo here.

I still have to sand and stain them, build the bases and mount the Heil AMT driver on top ..... but I think they will be pretty neat when finished.

Hopefully, they might even sound good .....

In addition to the Heil AMT, the full range driver is a Betsy and the 15" OB driver is a Hawthorne Audio Augie.

Randy

Last edited by Randy in Caintuck; 28th December 2012 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Update
Old 28th December 2012, 04:17 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Betsy 2-ways are interesting to me too

Your project parallels my own considerably. I'm using BetsyK with Deltalite II 2515 and a super tweeter (latest incarnation).

Please excuse poor photo from ipod. I've been developing with a zero effort baffle board of 2'X4' MDF from HD and think the electrical design is getting close enough to consider more visually pleasing baffle concepts.

On the whole though, this system has a sensitivity around 96-97 dB/W and is allowing me to enjoy some low wattage amplifiers (2-3W) and experience the sonics of a very short signal path using high quality components. So far I am pleasantly surprised.

I look forward to hearing more regarding your project.

Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BetsyK_OB.JPG (261.7 KB, 441 views)
Old 28th December 2012, 04:37 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Looking good Randy!
Old 28th December 2012, 07:55 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmiller View Post
Your project parallels my own considerably. I'm using BetsyK with Deltalite II 2515 and a super tweeter (latest incarnation).

On the whole though, this system has a sensitivity around 96-97 dB/W and is allowing me to enjoy some low wattage amplifiers (2-3W) and experience the sonics of a very short signal path using high quality components. So far I am pleasantly surprised.

Chris
Hi Chris,

The Deltalite II 2515 looks like a nice driver ..... 99 db efficiency is a good thing .....

The Augie drivers are not that efficient, but the high Qts makes them work well for OB. I drive the Augies with a pair of plate amps that are fed from the speaker taps of the main amplifier.

I'm sure that you are getting a good sound with the low powered amplifiers ..... I have been a big fan for a long time now. One of my amps is a "monster", the 300B that puts out somewhere between 7 and 9 watts a side. Two of my other amps put out about 1 1/2 watts a side .....

This is a VERY low powered amplifier that user type 10 thoriated filament power tubes and a mercury vapor rectifier tube. A very good friend in SC built it for me and it sounds fantastic. Because of the nice iron and serious power supply, you would never guess that it is only a couple of watts a channel.

Please keep us posted on your progress as well.

Best wishes,

Randy

Last edited by Randy in Caintuck; 28th December 2012 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Update
Old 28th December 2012, 09:23 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Randy, that's a fascinating amp. Is the photo from the back off the hifi cabinet or from the back of something like a vintage Altec cabinet? The background objects in your other photos look very interesting too.

I will update when I hit another milestone with my playing around. I am musing over a slightly better shaped baffle board than the 2'X4' MDF board. I'm attaching a pdf what I'm toying with maybe it will be viewable on the forum.

Chris
Attached Files
File Type: pdf baffle_design_1_for_pdf.pdf (9.6 KB, 31 views)
Old 29th December 2012, 03:40 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Chris,

The amplifier is sitting in the bottom center opening of my audio rack. I occasionally move things around depending on what equipment I have hooked up at the time.

Here is a photo of the rack with that amp on the bottom left .....

Some of the other gear in the original photo is a CEC TL-2 top loading belt drive CD transport, a Camelot Uther DAC with the Anagram mods and on the bottom left you can see the edge of a Decware SE84C+ amplifier.

Here is a link to my website where you can see some of the different incarnations of my audio system over the past few years.

I really hope that you build the baffles in the .pdf file. They would certainly catch the eye of anyone who entered your listening room and would probably sound very good as well.

Have a good weekend,

Randy
Old 29th December 2012, 05:33 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

You really shouldn't have two components occupying the same cubicle. I'll take the Decware off your hands to solve this issue. It's the least I can do.
Old 29th December 2012, 11:52 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Always nice to see someone helping to make room for the next interesting thing. An intriguing and eclectic array of tube amps and speaker projects. Thanks for sharing all that. I tooled around your website some too.
Old 30th December 2012, 04:36 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Well guys,

I have made a little more progress ..... but still need to mount the Heil AMT drivers and a few finishing touches. I hope to get them done by tomorrow or Monday.

So far ..... so good .....

Larger photos here and here.

Randy
Old 30th December 2012, 11:01 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Nice work. I like base too. How soon before you get to listen to this configuration? I'm interested to see how you are mounting the Heil AMT's.

I see you've rearrange the components on the bottom of your shelves. Now what are we looking at? Do you listen exclusively through SE amplifiiers?

Having a bad day here. Been sick with the flu since Christmas day. Had to run the snow blower for all the snow we've been getting in the NE and I did't see the WHITE bag of mail from the Saturday mail delivery in time. Saturday's mail went though my snowblower and it contained a vintage vinyl jazz album I've been waiting for. Almost makes a grown man cry.

Chris

Hide this!Advertise here!