• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

The Round Mound of Sound

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here is an early peek at my latest project .....

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Larger photo here.

I still have to sand and stain them, build the bases and mount the Heil AMT driver on top ..... but I think they will be pretty neat when finished.

Hopefully, they might even sound good ..... ;)

In addition to the Heil AMT, the full range driver is a Betsy and the 15" OB driver is a Hawthorne Audio Augie.

Randy

Last edited:
Betsy 2-ways are interesting to me too

Your project parallels my own considerably. I'm using BetsyK with Deltalite II 2515 and a super tweeter (latest incarnation).

Please excuse poor photo from ipod. I've been developing with a zero effort baffle board of 2'X4' MDF from HD and think the electrical design is getting close enough to consider more visually pleasing baffle concepts.

On the whole though, this system has a sensitivity around 96-97 dB/W and is allowing me to enjoy some low wattage amplifiers (2-3W) and experience the sonics of a very short signal path using high quality components. So far I am pleasantly surprised.

I look forward to hearing more regarding your project.

Chris

Attachments

• BetsyK_OB.JPG
    BetsyK_OB.JPG
    261.7 KB · Views: 601
Your project parallels my own considerably. I'm using BetsyK with Deltalite II 2515 and a super tweeter (latest incarnation).

On the whole though, this system has a sensitivity around 96-97 dB/W and is allowing me to enjoy some low wattage amplifiers (2-3W) and experience the sonics of a very short signal path using high quality components. So far I am pleasantly surprised.

Chris

Hi Chris,

The Deltalite II 2515 looks like a nice driver ..... 99 db efficiency is a good thing ..... :cool:

The Augie drivers are not that efficient, but the high Qts makes them work well for OB. I drive the Augies with a pair of plate amps that are fed from the speaker taps of the main amplifier.

I'm sure that you are getting a good sound with the low powered amplifiers ..... I have been a big fan for a long time now. One of my amps is a "monster", the 300B that puts out somewhere between 7 and 9 watts a side. Two of my other amps put out about 1 1/2 watts a side ..... ;)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

This is a VERY low powered amplifier that user type 10 thoriated filament power tubes and a mercury vapor rectifier tube. A very good friend in SC built it for me and it sounds fantastic. Because of the nice iron and serious power supply, you would never guess that it is only a couple of watts a channel.

Please keep us posted on your progress as well.

Best wishes,

Randy

Last edited:
Randy, that's a fascinating amp. Is the photo from the back off the hifi cabinet or from the back of something like a vintage Altec cabinet? The background objects in your other photos look very interesting too.

I will update when I hit another milestone with my playing around. I am musing over a slightly better shaped baffle board than the 2'X4' MDF board. I'm attaching a pdf what I'm toying with maybe it will be viewable on the forum.

Chris

Attachments

• baffle_design_1_for_pdf.pdf
    9.6 KB · Views: 104
Chris,

The amplifier is sitting in the bottom center opening of my audio rack. I occasionally move things around depending on what equipment I have hooked up at the time.

Here is a photo of the rack with that amp on the bottom left .....

Some of the other gear in the original photo is a CEC TL-2 top loading belt drive CD transport, a Camelot Uther DAC with the Anagram mods and on the bottom left you can see the edge of a Decware SE84C+ amplifier.

Here is a link to my website where you can see some of the different incarnations of my audio system over the past few years.

I really hope that you build the baffles in the .pdf file. They would certainly catch the eye of anyone who entered your listening room and would probably sound very good as well.

Have a good weekend,

Randy

Well guys,

I have made a little more progress ..... but still need to mount the Heil AMT drivers and a few finishing touches. I hope to get them done by tomorrow or Monday.

So far ..... so good ..... :)

Larger photos here and here.

Randy

Nice work. I like base too. How soon before you get to listen to this configuration? I'm interested to see how you are mounting the Heil AMT's.

I see you've rearrange the components on the bottom of your shelves. Now what are we looking at? Do you listen exclusively through SE amplifiiers?

Having a bad day here. Been sick with the flu since Christmas day. Had to run the snow blower for all the snow we've been getting in the NE and I did't see the WHITE bag of mail from the Saturday mail delivery in time. Saturday's mail went though my snowblower and it contained a vintage vinyl jazz album I've been waiting for. Almost makes a grown man cry.

Chris

Nice work. I like base too. How soon before you get to listen to this configuration? I'm interested to see how you are mounting the Heil AMT's.

I see you've rearrange the components on the bottom of your shelves. Now what are we looking at? Do you listen exclusively through SE amplifiiers?

Having a bad day here. Been sick with the flu since Christmas day. Had to run the snow blower for all the snow we've been getting in the NE and I did't see the WHITE bag of mail from the Saturday mail delivery in time. Saturday's mail went though my snowblower and it contained a vintage vinyl jazz album I've been waiting for. Almost makes a grown man cry.

Chris

Hi Chris,

So sorry to hear about the flu and the vinyl ..... :(

The current stuff on the equipment rack is :
Top from the left - Greenvalve Audio Type 10 amplifier - heavily modified CGV Electronics 300B amp - CEC TL-2 CD transport
Middle from left - Camelot Uther outboard power supply - Camelot Uther DAC - Onix Cd player used as a transport
Bottom from left - Decware SC84C+ amp - spare tubes - Prototype pentode 6CA7 amp on loan from La Dolce Audio

I was able to finish up the "Round Mound" speakers today and they turned out nicely for a man with my limited woodworking skills. The important thing is that they sound good ..... :)

The Heil drivers are mounted on small shelves that are attached to the back of the baffles with "L" brackets. It works pretty well, but I don't think they would survive too many road trips ..... ;)

RM_finished_room_small.jpg

RM_finished_closeup_small.jpg

Larger photos here and here.

Best wishes,

Randy

round baffle around the speaker is big no no

Well ..... if it is, you would never know it from the great sound I am getting with these speakers. I'm not a big fan of "rules" and "numbers". I learned a long time ago that the most important thing in audio is "if it sounds good, it is good" ..... ;)

Everyone in this hobby has an opinion ..... and everyone hears differently. That is the reason there are a multitude of different approaches to speaker design, amplifier design, cable design, etc.

Enjoy the music,

Randy

Well ..... if it is, you would never know it from the great sound I am getting with these speakers. I'm not a big fan of "rules" and "numbers". I learned a long time ago that the most important thing in audio is "if it sounds good, it is good" ..... ;)

Everyone in this hobby has an opinion ..... and everyone hears differently. That is the reason there are a multitude of different approaches to speaker design, amplifier design, cable design, etc.

Enjoy the music,

Randy

Randy ole chum, belated welcome to our little sand box

my only addenda to above would be that "everyone in this hobby has many opinions, some even of their own devising " :rolleyes: - but then you've long known my sense of humor(?) and adherence to orthodoxy

Hi Chris,

Long time no talk to .....

Good to hear that you are still among the living ..... :)

Yep ..... I have never been one to "play by the rules" and have found that most amplifier and loudspeaker designers that tune things "by ear" rather than "by the numbers" usually end up with products more to my liking ..... ;)

Again, that is just MY opinion and the YMMV rule trumps everything else. I gave up arguing about audio years ago. I'm too busy listening to music to spend a lot of time in a non-productive pursuit.

I hope all is well with you and that you are still enjoying the audio hobby.

Best wishes,

Randy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.