• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Betsy drivers are REALLY good

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I don't know Randy, I've run all kinds of calculations through all kinds of programs and have found there is no possible way those could sound any good at all. :D

Hey buddy,

That must be my problem ..... I have this bad habit of relying on what my "lying ears" are telling me ...... :D

Thanks for the info on the BetsyK ..... I still may give them a whirl when I get time.

I think Rob hit it smack on the head when he told me that driver height means everything when it comes to the Betsy drivers ..... when everything is right, they punch way above their weight class.

I'm still keeping a spare pair of Betsy drivers to do a set of Donkey Kong baffles ..... so many speakers to build ..... so little time ..... :cool:

Hoping to see you in January,

Randy

Happy New Year and all that jive! :hohoho:

Pick one, since virtually all wide BW OBs I've seen are acoustically too small based on the driver's specs once all losses are accounted for and/or based on the XO point/slope nor do they provide some means of damping reflections back to its 'throat', same as needs to be done with a truncated horn.

After all, what is a horn but a folded up OB, so the need for proper size, termination, etc. required for accurate reproduction magically becomes irrelevant once flattened out? Not in my understanding of sound propagation.

I currently have no functioning system other than the one in an old RPTV, though my main system has always been horn loaded from at least 500 Hz since age 14 and for most of the time down to ~40 Hz [corner loaded 70 Hz expo compression horns].

That system plus a pair of Servo-Drive Contrass sub kits along with most of my good electronics went the way of a forced 'fire sale' over a decade ago now, so my main speaker system option has been limited to a pair of ~stock Altec 511 horns perched on top of my original ~20 ft^3 dual Altec 515B/channel 'subs', neither of which is optimized for wide BW use beyond PA/DJ apps and for a variety of reasons have been non-functioning for much of this time, though not for lack of some folk's generous efforts.

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.