Betsy OB MTM project - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Wild Burro Audio

Wild Burro Audio DIY full range speakers from Wild Burro Audio Labs

Old 4th December 2012, 01:45 AM   #11
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy in Caintuck View Post
A lot of "reviewers" over the years (which I put very little if any value in) have said that the CEC transports have a more "analog" sound than other transports. Who knows ..... The fact that there is a heavy puck that sits on top of the CD might also have an effect on the sound.
Well, with belt drive I can believe that since wow/flutter will tend to be much higher than direct drive and disc clamps do wonders for vinyls, though can't think of a reason why it would affect a CD unless air currents inside a tray system can cause jitter, but then don't they have some sort of correction built in?

Anyway, it would be interesting to compare it to my damped Elite PD65 that I A-B'd with a contemporary Meridian and Mark Levinson, both of which had less bass gain BW, consequently sounding 'light', 'airy' up top, but not nearly as 'rich' sounding like vinyl tends to be.

GM
Old 4th December 2012, 12:13 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post

Anyway, it would be interesting to compare it to my damped Elite PD65 that I A-B'd with a contemporary Meridian and Mark Levinson, both of which had less bass gain BW, consequently sounding 'light', 'airy' up top, but not nearly as 'rich' sounding like vinyl tends to be.

GM
From what I understand, the Elite PD65 uses the "Stable Platter" transport mechanism. A few years ago, I owned a Camelot Morgana CD player that used the same mechanism. Camelot offered two models, one was a dedicated transport (I forget the name) and the Morgana which had a built in DAC.

I really liked this player and also used it for a while as a transport. I'm sure that your Elite PD65 is a fine sounding player. I have never heard one, but have heard some very positive comments about it.

Randy
Old 6th December 2012, 05:07 PM   #13
tubo is offline tubo  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Randy,

how did you wire the betsy mtm? what is their impedance and and what tap on your amps are you using?

thank you
Old 7th December 2012, 05:48 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubo View Post
Randy,

how did you wire the betsy mtm? what is their impedance and and what tap on your amps are you using?

thank you
Hi tubo,

Sorry that I didn't get back to you right away ..... I was visiting an audio buddy out of town and just now got a chance to check the forum.

The Betsy drivers are wired in parallel. They are 5.9 ohms each according to the website, so the two in parallel would be 2.95 ohms. I run them off of the 4 ohm taps of my amplifier. With just a single cap on the ribbon, the load is pretty friendly and my amp drives them with no problem.

I must tell you though, the MTM project did not work out as well as I had expected. I have another pair of speakers using Visaton B200 drivers in an MTM configuration and I like them a lot ..... but, the Betsys not so much. I took the speakers with me to my buddy's house yesterday and he and I as well as another visiting friend much preferred the single Betsy + the ribbon.

The Betsy MTM setup certainly had more dynamics and upper bass, but was not as smooth, coherent or musical as the single Betsy and ribbon. We tried them with several different amplifiers and the result was the same each time.

Oh well, live and learn ..... the good news is that I have a spare pair of Betsy drivers to experiment with .....

Best wishes,

Randy
Old 8th December 2012, 04:54 PM   #15
tubo is offline tubo  Philippines
diyAudio Member

thank you Randy,

Im hoping that my next speaker project will be successful. im still busy with other stuff but hopefully can start on it in a month or two. Im thinking of copying your design but will incorporate a pair of Hawthorne 15 silver iris for midbass duties and an isophon ph2132e coaxial for mid and highs, a couple of 15 augies per side, one on the very top and one on the bottom.

By the way completely out of topic, how does your greenvalve 10y amp compare to Terry's 6ca7 amp? i am very interested with Terry's amp.

thank you
Old 9th December 2012, 05:58 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubo View Post

By the way completely out of topic, how does your greenvalve 10y amp compare to Terry's 6ca7 amp? i am very interested with Terry's amp.

thank you
Hi tubo,

Interesting question ..... and very hard to answer fully. About the only thing that these amplifiers have in common are that they use vacuum tubes .....

The Greenvalve amplifier is a "one off" custom DH-SET amp that Buzz built for me. It is very low powered, but deceptively powerful sounding because of the design of the power supply and the serious iron used in the design. It images in a way that is different than any other amplifier that I have ever heard ..... very intimate and realistic, especially with the simple, acoustic music and vocal fare that makes up the majority of my music collection.

Terry's 6CA7 amplifier, being a pentode design, has an amazing "jump factor". It is also very real sounding, but in a different way. It has some of the best "toe tapping" effect that I have ever experienced. It is hard to sit still while listening to music through this amplifier and I often find myself "dancing in my seat" while the music is playing with this amp ..... not a pretty sight, for sure

I think that you would be impressed with the 6CA7 amp. It will play a lot louder than the few watts would indicate and has amazing dynamics. The one I have on loan has some switches that insert and remove different amounts of local and global feedback which give the amplifier multiple "personalities". This can be very useful, and of the several people who have heard the amp in my system, almost each one had a different preference for which combination of switches they thought sounded best.

Randy

Hide this!Advertise here!