• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Betsy Cello

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recently built a resonant enclosure for the Betsy's. I'm happy to report the sound is wonderful. Well worth the effort if someone else is hunting for enclosure ideas.
IMG_1203.jpg

IMG_1206.jpg

Last edited:
The website where I obtained the plans is copyrighted, so I'm hesitant to re-post the actual plans. However, anyone can view them here:
Greencones
Just scroll down until you see the plans.

I'm more than happy to answer any specific questions about construction. There are a few assembly photos on my blog. FLEAWATT CAFE
Paul... I'm loving the Betsy sonics!

Neat! Please post plans, if you are willing.

Paul (Merlin Rider)
Wild Burro Audio Labs - DIY Full Range Speakers

Apart from them being of a 'cello shape, they remind me of a certain English model aeroplane designers technique, a Mr.C.E. Bowden, of building sheet wood covered fuselage structures - very simple and light but you'll go bald before you've finished construction.
I'm very tempted to have a go - or rather get my carpenter friend to take a squizz at the plans and see what he thinks.
How do you have them positioned / what size is your room?

Very nice build!! Did you use Betsy or Betsy-K?

Larry

I used the Betsy. Most of the commercial resonant cabinets appear to use high qts drivers. I would love to try the Betsy K's in these too and may order a pair after saving enough pennies.

The bottom is open and there are two ports on the back. I'll try to take some photos of the back and post them also.

After having lived with these speakers for a couple of weeks now, the sonics are impressive. I've built around 15 different single driver speakers and these are among my favorite. My wife describes the sound as "rich". She does not describe me that way.

The sides do vibrate a lot. They act as four additional, large panel drivers of sorts. They produce low notes when you tap on them.

Last edited:
Apart from them being of a 'cello shape, they remind me of a certain English model aeroplane designers technique, a Mr.C.E. Bowden, of building sheet wood covered fuselage structures - very simple and light but you'll go bald before you've finished construction.
I'm very tempted to have a go - or rather get my carpenter friend to take a squizz at the plans and see what he thinks.
How do you have them positioned / what size is your room?

Most of my horn loaded single drivers always sounded best out a ways from the wall in my room. These are no different and are about 4 feet out from the back wall. I have them out into the room a ways. However, I have a dedicated listening room, so it isn't an issue. They have somewhat of an omni-directional, room filling quality about them. Likely due to all the vibrating surface area on the sides acting like drivers.

ahhhh,
No good for me then, if I was going to build anything bigger, 'they' would have to go in the corners.
Which 'velo do you ride - if you dont mind me asking? I purchased an S5, not the lightest device in the world, fair comfy compared to my wretched Orbea Orca's.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.