• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

NOS betsyk's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Cabs are sanded and ready for finish. I like the bare wood pattern. I'd like to clear them like they are. WAF says black to match the rest of furniture. So black it is.

I'm really tempted to put the drivers in and give them a spin. I have to wait for the Duratex to get here. They need break-in anyway. :D

Heres the pics.

MK

Attachments

• IMG_0517.jpg
    IMG_0517.jpg
    507.6 KB · Views: 219
  • IMG_0519.jpg
    IMG_0519.jpg
    375.3 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_0518.jpg
    IMG_0518.jpg
    378.4 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_0520.jpg
    IMG_0520.jpg
    503.1 KB · Views: 198
I couldn't wait to here them. I put a broke-in pair of Besty k's. Hooked them up to my HT system. Preliminary testing sounds great. Mids and highs are very clear and sweet. They dont go as low as the 6.226 mltl's but there not room loaded as much either.
Now the WAF has gone up. I might not get them back to the listening room.

I'll try them with my main system this weekend. Room loading and the tube amp system will make a big difference.

So far I'm more than pleased with them. More testing asap.

MK

They are finished!:D I set them up in my living room just to see how they work in a large space. The mids and highs are excellent. Bass is tight but not as low as my 6.226^3 cabs. Still no need for subs. Tonight I'll put them in the smaller listening room. Loading will make a difference.
The flash in the pics dont do the finish justice. Look much better in person.

I added a handle on the front. Also the mesh screens in the port come from dollar general mesh trash cans.:eek:

Update tomorrow on the listening room tests. There keepers!!

Thanks GM for the specs and help.

Mark

Attachments

• IMG_0526.jpg
    IMG_0526.jpg
    469.7 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_0524.jpg
    IMG_0524.jpg
    459.9 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Thanks,
I have them setup in the sweet spot. Since they were a little smaller I was able to get them just right.
Equipment used: se el-84 tube amp, Kenwood c-2 ss preamp sl-d3 technics TT.

First lp I put on was Pinkfloyd Animals. Imaging was almost haunting. Very 3d sound stage. Sound was so precise you felt like you were in the picture.
The dogs in the distance, the whistling, the pigs. Excellent.

Next up I tried Cat Stevens. Voicing very clean. What got me the most was the piano. It sounded like it was in the room.

Dire Straits, eye opener for sure. This was like a live performance. Sound stage is very accurate. Airness around the instruments, clean drum beats. You could feel the sliding on the strings.

Summing up. I'd have to say the Towers made a synergy in the system. The in room response was very good. The bass is clean and low enough so no sub needed or wanted. Voice in the mids and highs, just right. Instruments really show up. You can hear the slightest tip of the drum edge with the sticks to the fingers working the strings.

For the amount of cash invested in the Towers. I'd have to say they are very good. To better them will cost alot more.

Total cost of the build was around 328.00 pair. That includes drivers, wood, jacks & wire, bottom bolts, foam and finish.

MK

Had a friend over this weekend that wanted to try his new tube amp on the speakers. He has built many of the designs for MA and audio nirvana drivers. He was very impressed by the bass and balance of the betsyk's in the GM design enclosures. He also commented about that no bsc or other helpers were needed.
We had a good day playing all types of music.

Mark

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.