• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

burn in ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Any difference on these ?
How many hours ?

I also have a theory that a full range driver heats up a little (while playing) and sounds a little better past 30 minutes.

"And I'll tell you what: Beyond the simple matter of amplifier warm-up times, the longer I listened to the Voxativs in a given session, the better they sounded. Heaven knows why. " stereophile's review of their 8" full range driver speaker of the year.

Voxativ Ampeggio loudspeaker Page 3 | Stereophile.com

Norman

Norman,

It will make a difference. If you're using an OB, they'll break in faster. Some boxes, especially those that restrict excursion a great deal (BIBs) will slow the process down. I often break them inside a well covered cardboard box in the basement to allow excursion and keep the noise down. Depending on what you choose to do, they may be at their best in 40 hours or continuing to change well past a couple hundred. Whatever you do, don't blow 'em up!

Paul
Wild Burro Audio Labs - DIY Full Range Speakers

I need to get them hooked up first !!!!!!!!!!

I actually havn't blown a speaker in more than 2 decades.

I'm thinking phy open baffle (67" high, center panel 12-16", left and right panels 24" wide).

You can see baffle (phy) past 6:30 in their video, dont' forget to click on 480p !!!!!!!!
But his is dual walled with sand between layers.
PHY-HP famous speakerunits made by former Bernard Salabert of France. - YouTube

The last baffle I had, the wife liked it (wings folded back, not parallel though). Birch 1/2" ply, 60" tall, center 12" wide, left 15" wide, right 19" wide, driver centered at 36".

Norman

Just because it is (mostly) your perceptual system doing the burning in, it is nevertheless entirely real as a subjective experience. Think about it - there is ample direct evidence that our brain circuitry adjusts and refines its synaptic network in response to external stimuli. There is also the supporting element of those neural pathways that support the pleasure-seeking drives that underlie addictive behavior. So when the audiophile, who invests money, time and ego in pursuit of the pleasure of the listening experience, believes in burn-in and exposes his aural circuitry to the latest gear/mod/tweak is it surprising that the circuitry, over time, seeks to return the maximum pleasure reward to the listener. Add to this the supporting reinforcement of shared like experiences by like audiophiles and soon you have debates over how many hundreds of hours it should take to "burn-in" a length of speaker cable or interconnect. While speaker and phono cartridge suspensions have some plausible mechanisms that might subtly alter sound fairly quickly, there is no explanation for wires, passive components or assemblies thereof changing properties significantly past initial powerup.

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Any difference on these ?
How many hours ?

I also have a theory that a full range driver heats up a little (while playing) and sounds a little better past 30 minutes.

"And I'll tell you what: Beyond the simple matter of amplifier warm-up times, the longer I listened to the Voxativs in a given session, the better they sounded. Heaven knows why. " stereophile's review of their 8" full range driver speaker of the year.

Voxativ Ampeggio loudspeaker Page 3 | Stereophile.com

Norman

how much did you pay for those?
did you get them complete or just the drivers?
can you measure fr response and post it?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Just because it is (mostly) your perceptual system doing the burning in, it is nevertheless entirely real as a subjective experience.

2 sets of identical ludspeakers, 1 with fresh drivers and one with well broken in ones can clearly demonstrate that driver break-in is very real and independent of ear/brain familaeirt,

dave

I have 2 pair of the same driver. First pair has nearly 1000 hours.....the second pair, maybe 40, both pair are bone stock with no "upgrades, bells or whistles" and were compared in the same cabinet with the same gear driving them. I, A & B tested as well as driver A mounted on the left and driver B mounted on the right. There is most certainly a difference.

lol, no, I just got a pair of betsy's !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was quoting the stereophile article.

I'd never pay that much for the pretty cabinets.
After paying for retail (used klipschs), I was bummed. I could have bunches of drivers to play with for the same price.
But my 3 rb75's have been sold, slowly my buddy is paying them off.

I hope to have the betsy in the OB by the end of next month.
First, I have to get the boxes rebuilt (ones in my avatar), silver flute 8" crossed 2khz to mcm round horn with a jbl 2408 driver.
It was a project to sound better than the klipschs, and it does at $150 each not including cab or x-over (instead of $300 each used for the klipsch new was $1,300/pair). And I learned that the 6.5" silver flute can be crossed 5khz 24db to my piezo, while the 8" just doesn't go up that high nicely (another project for another day).

Norman

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.