• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

OB Betsy's and Alpha's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My solidly built and handsome OB Betsys are now even stronger since I added full length brass piano hinges and there's no discernible resonance from the panels.

Would it be feasible to mount one light weight 15 inch Alpha low on each of the long wings of the Betsy OB or is it a bad idea?

I have a resonance on my middle baffle (using 6' hinges from home depot, $15 each). James Taylor's greatest hits can trigger it. I may dynamat the back of the panel (1/2" birch ply, 8 or 9 ply).

I'd be leary putting a woofer on any of the 3 panels due to vibration.
You could put a woofer box behind the baffle.

I'm using a 12" in a ported box sitting beside it.
It rolls in 80hz 6db octave using an 80hz f-mod.

My baffle is 5' tall.
Panels are 12" wide center, 15" wide left, and 19" wide on right.
Driver center is 37" off the floor (middle of the tv).

Norman

I decided to build the MJK Eminence Alpha H frames instead and what an excellent decision it has turned out to be. They provide the low end that were lacking with the Betsy's as well as for my other full range speakers which I often rotate. I'm using two Dayton APA 150 amps to drive the Alpha's crossed over at 80hz.

I've never really cared for subs which are fine for HT but plodding and unnatural sounding with music. The H frame Alpha's smooth and natural bass is just what I've always been looking for.

Norman, Ikea has thick and cheap cork place mats which may reduce the resonance on your middle baffle. A much cheaper alternative to Dynamat is Lowe's "Peel n' Stick". My buddy just deadened his truck cab with the stuff.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.