• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Linkwitz Phoenix OB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Alan,

The Betsy would work in a similar configuration. Keep in mind that that means you'll need the woofers too! There is no such thing as a small open baffle that produces any bass. (Depending on your definition of small I suppose. Though some would claim that some of the heavily folded designs that I've seen over on Audio Circle could be called small, at the most, they are "smaller".)

And, of course, separate woofers add some serious cost and complexity.

The smallest possible open baffle will be seriously folded and still be well over a foot wide and over a foot deep. You can knock the height down, but they'd need a stand. And the narrower and deeper they go, the more you risk some sort of quarter wave resonance that you may not like. There are still possibilities here. I've even thought about speakers based on large (40qt?) heavy duty (1/4" thick) AL stockpots.

I presume you don't want to build a cabinet? Otherwise, the best compact options are generally boxes for the BetsyK, like something small and sealed or the TL I have a couple of threads down.

Paul
Wild Burro Audio Labs - DIY Full Range Speakers

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I have been playing with two Betsy WOW in similar panel last few days. I used Selenium horn tweeter. While it is PA tweeter, it is low distortion, flat response, high sensitivity, high quality well built tweeter. I like its sound. Plus its relatively cheap. I have not got the chance to measure it yet, but I will. You can see my post here:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/179738-happy-holidays.html

Paul

I am a noob here so please bear with me. I am short of space and don`t have room for a large baffle.

Would the Betsy be at home in this configuration if so what is the best tweeter to use?

Dipole Main Panel

Cheers
Alan

:snowman2: Hello,
A couple of weeks ago I completed the “main panel” of a Phoenix clone. I am still sorting out XO’s and other stuff. I used 2 of this driver mid woofers. https://www.madisound.com/store/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=153&products_id=1140
On the “main panel”.
I have used this tweeter
Vifa DX25TG09-04 1" Fabric Dome Tweeter | Parts-Express.com
and this one, they have the same layout on the panel, same size, same screw holes both sound good.
Vifa XT25TG30-04 1" Dual Ring Radiator Tweeter | Parts-Express.com
I am considering 2 of this driver on each of 2 “M” baffles for woofers for the “main” panels.
Peerless 830669 12" Paper Cone SLS Subwoofer | Parts-Express.com
DT
All just for fun!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.