diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Wild Burro Audio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/wild-burro-audio/)
-   -   The Purple speaker: an $18, 8" fullrange! (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/wild-burro-audio/177505-purple-speaker-18-8-fullrange.html)

pjanda1 18th November 2010 07:38 PM

The Purple speaker: an $18, 8" fullrange!

3 Attachment(s)
I'm excited to introduce a brand new, one time offering from Wild Burro Audio, The Purple Speaker. These are brand new speakers from my normal US factory, made to the same standards as the Betsy and BetsyK. They have a paper cone, foam surround, steel basket and a 10oz magnet. The Qts is high enough to work on an OB, but due to the different suspension, the compliance is low enough that boxes can be reasonably sized! These specs are about as close as you can get to an all-around fullranger.

In addition, I thought I'd add another interesting wrinkle. As they are, no whizzer or dustcap is installed. I have noticed that folks often like to mess with the whizzer and/or bottom of the cone, be it the 99 cent tweak or the fancy stuff that Rethm does to Lowthers. So, with each speaker you get three different whizzers! The smallest is the same one used on the Betsy. The other two might look familiar to followers of other US made fullrangers. It only takes a minute to glue them on, but having them uninstalled makes it very easy to modify them prior to installation. The large whizzer begs to be cut to a more interesting profile. Think of the possibilities for ENaBLing! Of course, you can also cut one down to make only a dustcap and have a widebander.

Of course, the best news is the price! I got 'em cheap, so you do too. The intro price is $18 each, $36 for a pair. I've already spent quite a few hours listening to them in my open baffle test mules, and I think you'll be as pleased as I am!

I've got one batch of these, and I'm hoping to keep quite a few pairs for myself. So, don't delay! Give me a holler and I'll get a pair on your doorstep ASAP.

Paul
Wild Burro Audio Labs - DIY Full Range Speakers

pjanda1 18th November 2010 07:44 PM

The curve shows the speaker as it comes: no whizzer installed. The other pic is the smallest whizzer, the one that is standard on the Betsy/BetsyK. Obviously, this is the one I'm listening to now!

As they are hard to read, here are the T/S specs in print:

Re 6.6 Ohm, Fs 68.5 Hz, Sd 211.2, Md 10.5g
Bl 5.08, Qms, 4.80, Qes .770, Qts .664, Spl 95db
Vas 48.744L, Mms 7.02g

Paul

jrenkin 18th November 2010 10:05 PM

I see no curves, but at $36, I'll try a pair. How big would a phase plug be for these?
PM sent.

pjanda1 18th November 2010 10:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I am terrible about forgetting attachments. jrenkin, I'll get back to your PM later. I just wanted to correct the omission quickly! I am pretty sure I have some planet10 phase plugs that will fit. If I do, I'd be happy to toss in a pair for you.

Paul

ra7 18th November 2010 11:05 PM

I'm interested in a pair as well. pm sent.

jrenkin 18th November 2010 11:33 PM

Ok, maybe not the BIB....

zakman35 19th November 2010 12:03 PM

If these are 8'' size, i am interested too.

pjanda1 19th November 2010 02:19 PM

Much interest here! I'll get back to some emails soon, but here is the gist. $13 should cover FedEx to the US. So, for all you US folks, the total is $49 for one pair shipped. You can paypal me at: paul at wild burro audio dot com. I am still waiting for the giant whizzers that appear in the middle of the first bunch of pics. I have the one from the first pic, as well as the one pictured in the baffle. So, if you don't want the big one, I can ship now. Otherwise, it might be a week. Either way, a paypal in my "orders" folder makes you very easy to keep track of!

I'll start getting back to PM's and emails.

Paul

zakman35 19th November 2010 05:06 PM

Paul any idea what will be the postage to Greece?

keantoken 19th November 2010 11:29 PM

Hey Paul, now this is in my price range.

I'm assuming when you glue the whizzer the change is permanent, so I would like to know what I can expect from each kind. Can you explain the differences?

- keantoken