• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

The Purple speaker: an $18, 8" fullrange!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks for the info provided I was well aware of the old Altec, Ev's and others having been involved in designing single driver fullrange systems for the last 45 years. The X max of 1.5 mm is not bad and certainly will do for fairly loud listening.

Attached is a design for a 8" fullrange driver to provide a cabinet of 80+ liters which can easily be adjusted to suit the driver and to take care of baffle step issues with out electronics, having build such a cabinet with a 6-1/2" driver, baffle size beeing 15" x 57" with a 2-1/4" at the sides and top of cabinet about 10 years ago and still listening to them maybe it is time to build an 8" the only one size I have not build yet.

I am wondering whether the BetsyK is available without the whizzer and dustcap.

Attachments

• 16x60x2.25_BottomPort-v9.pdf
    84.9 KB · Views: 190
  • 16x60x2.25_BottomPort-v10.pdf
    105.8 KB · Views: 174
You bring up a great point. I often have folks asking me about sensitivity and hoping to use a really small amp with the Betsy. I always advise that I use a 3W amp, as do many of my customers. I haven't tried something smaller, in large part because I haven't got one! The extra efficiency of the Purple Speaker might lend itself to things of the 1w variety. I'm thinking of that 3/4W triode amp that is popular. . . can't recall the name. . . Or the S.E.X. amp, or a Decware Zen. The slightly lower Q (compared to the Betsy) maybe work well too, as many smaller tube amps will have highish output impedances. And I do know that technically you'd want more like 100db for amps that small, but again, we're talking near field.

Paul
Wild Burro Audio Labs - DIY Full Range Speakers

jpechloe,

That is a nice looking design! At this point, the BetsyK isn't available without the whizzer attached. I could probably get you a pair, but you'd have to pay up front and it could be awhile (a couple of months). I think it would be fairly easy to just cut the whizzer assembly off, if thats what you want. The BetsyK voice coil stands a little proud of the cone, which gives you some room to work. I've got plenty of extra whizzers.

let me know,

Paul

Nicoch, I know you were thinking DHT. I wanted to be inclusive of all budgets and little tube amps. I wish I had some 45/46 action here! The closest I come is my 12B4 pre, and I know that isn't at all the same.

grrrrr. the freight kills it...

You just need to round up a few more folks. Shipping isn't that bad spread across four or so pairs!

Paul

>>> And, my experiments tend to show that the design of the speaker system matters quite a bit more than small details on the driver. It makes some folks happy to spend tons of money on really nice drivers, but often they'd get better performance from a competently designed system built around more modest constituent parts. Just my opinion...

Mine too. I have spent lots of $ on drivers only to be disappointed in the end. An expensive set of drivers in a ported box just doesn't sound like a BIB using drivers costing half or even less. In fact, expensive drivers in BIBs don't always sound better either. I have Fostex 168s ($120) and 165k ($65) and the cheaper drivers sound better to me. Open baffle is another story altogether because they sound totally different than sealed, ported or back horns... so if you like the OB sound no matter how much you spend on the other designs you will enjoy OB more.

Currently i have expensive drivers on open baffle, lol... but the cheaper drivers i have also sound great on OB too.

The purple drivers look really great Paul! The wizzer option is cool too. I wanted to ask if i can order a set of wizzers (large and small) to try with my lovely wizzerless Betsy's... how much for two pair?

Zilla

Attachments

• wizzerless-betsy.jpg
    wizzerless-betsy.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 464
  • betsy-bib.gif
    betsy-bib.gif
    180.9 KB · Views: 448
  • betsy-boomer-2.jpg
    betsy-boomer-2.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 438
Last edited:
Thanks for the info I will wait till after the new year, have to find a source to build the cabinets.

Attached you find a picture of one of my cabinets and the Baffle Step Gain simulation prior to building the speakers, I was using a Baffle Step Software similar to the Edge program but find this one a bit more versatile, this software is readily available on the internet.

Attachments

• Single_Speaker.JPG
    Single_Speaker.JPG
    30.9 KB · Views: 454
  • individual driver response.pdf
    84.1 KB · Views: 98
Now that a quite a few pairs are out (about 1/3 of my stock gone!), I'd sure love some feedback about the packaging and the whizzer option. This packaging is very different from my normal boxes. It uses 1lb less packing material, for a reduction of about 50%. That means less diesel to transport them (both the packing materials to me and the package to you). Most of the materials are either 100% recycled (the box itself and the peanuts) or reused (the newspaper or other material I use as fill in the top). The tape and tiny zip ties are the only new parts. In addition to the huge eco benefits, it also costs considerably less! The downsides are that it takes me more time to pack them up, says "home depot" on the side (the cheapest recycled boxes I've found), and offers less protection. Anybody seen damage? Have thoughts to share?

What do you think of the whizzer option? I know those of you that have them haven't had them for long, so I expect longer term feedback on this one.

If these are popular changes, I'll consider offering them on future runs of the Betsy and BetsyK.

Paul

Email sent.

BTW, Fedex has a bad reputation for destroying things, IIRC. The guys on the Tek oscilloscope yahoo group can tell you all about it.

- keantoken

Hmm, I feel the same way about UPS. At least 80% of the packages I get from them are damaged. They drove a fork lift into the side of a $4000 pair of speakers and denied it was their fault. I guess they weren't packaged to withstand that kind of force, so it was the packagers fault.

In any case, my purple units arrived safe and sound and in record time. Kind if jaw dropping actually. My only gripe (minor) is that the peanuts get stuck inside the frames and are a bit of a hassle to pull out. Maybe put them in a (biodegradable) plastic bag first?

Haven't had time to plug 'em in yet. Hope to have a play moment soon, but I have to negotiate that with a 9 month old....

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Same here, peanuts inside the frame. No big deal. No damage to the package or drivers at all.
The whizzers were a bit crushed, especially the small ones. They are so light and fragile I don't know how you'd pack them. Maybe in a tiny box?

BTW, I got 2 small, thin whizzers, and 1 medium and 1 large of the thicker ones. Is that correct?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.