Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Wild Burro Audio

Wild Burro Audio DIY full range speakers from Wild Burro Audio Labs

Old 11th January 2011, 08:26 AM   #61
diyAudio Member

Thanks again for your help Paul

I have a a lot of work to do here I think. I am looking at your OB/amp project thread and thinking along the lines of buying the Jensem 15" drivers and using a similar U baffle to yours.

Thanks for the offer of helping with the design but I think I`ll stick to tried and tested format.

How do the Purples sound in your U baffle?
Cheers
Alan
Old 7th February 2011, 02:34 AM   #62
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjanda1 View Post
recommend Loctite brand super glue. ]
most of the 500 series loctites come right off with a bit of acetone.
Old 8th February 2011, 06:18 PM   #63
pjanda1 is offline pjanda1  United States
diyAudio Member

I need to try that. The whizzer is awfully close to where the cone meets the VC, so caution will be warranted!

For any fence sitters: I'm down to a handful of pairs! If you are thinking about grabbing one, do it ASAP!

Paul
Wild Burro Audio Labs - DIY Full Range Speakers
Old 21st February 2011, 03:17 AM   #64
diyAudio Member

Hi Paul,

I've ordered 4 of your purple speakers, and have a few quick questions.

I assume a nominal impedance around 8 ohms? I might run two in parallel and my amp is rated down to 4 ohms.

I saw the whizzerless (is that a word?) graph in your post. Have you graphed the driver with whizzer? The reason I ask is I'm considering running a tweeter with a first order crossover, and am curious as to the frequency I might crossover. 8 khz, 10 khz, etc.?

They were priced at a point where I can play a little before I finalize plans...

Thanks!

John
Old 21st February 2011, 04:59 AM   #65
diyAudio Member

Hi Paul, any of these purple speakers left?
Old 21st February 2011, 02:29 PM   #66
diyAudio Member

John,

They are 8 ohm speakers. Comb filtering is the potential problem with running two per side (the phase difference between the two speakers resulting in deep and frequent nulls in the frequency response above a frequency determined by driver spacing). Some folks claim the problem isn't audible. I'd be curious to see someone play with it, as I frequently have folks interested in running two per side and I'd be happy to sell more speakers!

I can try and dig up a graph with whizzers. But if you are running a tweeter, I'd either cut them into dustcaps or use a phase plug (diy or Planet10). May as well give the tweeter something to do, and avoid the imperfections of the whizzer! The crossover will be application specific. For example, if you're running a really efficient tweeter and a single cap, you might choose a higher than technically perfect electrical crossover point in an effort to bring the actual in line with the Purple. But assuming equal efficiency, whizzerless, you're looking at 7-8khz. With a whizzer, I'd say 12-16khz, depending on which whizzer you choose.

Paul
Old 21st February 2011, 02:29 PM   #67
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDHoward View Post
Hi Paul, any of these purple speakers left?
At least one pair. Maybe a few more. I'll have to check the basement as we are getting close to the end!

Paul
Old 22nd February 2011, 02:26 PM   #68
diyAudio Member

Default Paul, Do you have one pair ?

Paul, Do you have one pair ?

Thanks,
Old 22nd February 2011, 02:47 PM   #69
diyAudio Member

I do, and I just replied to your PM. For those still contemplating, I've got a couple of pairs left. Several have expressed interest, but until they are paid for, they are still available to anyone. I'll certainly post here when I have run out, so until then, you can assume I've got at least a couple floating around.

Paul
Old 22nd February 2011, 04:09 PM   #70
diyAudio Member

Another order. I'm down to one pair of regular stock Purples! I also have one with a lightly dinged basket, one with a big whizzer installed, and one with a dustcap. I'll take $10 for each of those three. It bears repeating: these are the last I'll ever have available!

Paul

Hide this!Advertise here!