Phase plugs for Betsy - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Wild Burro Audio

Wild Burro Audio DIY full range speakers from Wild Burro Audio Labs

Old 16th February 2010, 08:12 PM   #1
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Phase plugs for Betsy

Paul suggested i start a thread to let people know about these.

Due to an error* by the people that make my phase plug blanks i have about a dozen pair of plug blanks i'll sell.

*(they pulled out the B200 template to make FE16x plugs and i ended up with something that was in between, and work perfectly with the 2 pair of Betsy i have)

If i was to finish and retail these they would be $40/pr, i'd like to just move these out unfinshed for $20/pr (with or without pre-installed magnetic fixing).

Note that it is tricky to remove the dustcap without the whizzer following along. It is possible thou -- i will post pictures. If you remove the whizzer you end up with no dustcap.

I will also send a handfull of these to Paul so he can play with them, and maybe a lucky few can get them shipped with their drivers.

dave
Old 19th February 2010, 05:42 AM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Pictures as promised.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg betsy-eN-comp.jpg (100.3 KB, 296 views)
Old 21st February 2010, 03:46 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Dave,

I'll jump on that. I sent you an email.

Thanks,
Roger
Old 21st February 2010, 08:57 AM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Counted them to-nite.

9 pair left after Roger's.

dave
Old 21st February 2010, 04:32 PM   #5
pjanda1 is offline pjanda1  United States
diyAudio Member

Dave,

Are you willing to share your wisdom on removing the dustcap without also loosing the whizzer? Might make some folks feel more at ease and willing to give them a shot.

Paul
Wild Burro Audio Labs - DIY Full Range Speakers
Old 21st February 2010, 04:52 PM   #6
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

nice EnABL & plug work - Dave, is the whizzer attached to the former such that if one opens up the dust-cap to see the former that careful hobby knife work will remove only the cap? (I removed the flat cap on Eminence's B102 and that dustcap/whizzer) part is supplied one-piece. Did it lose any top end extension? There ought to be someone who would machine metal plugs for a low cost? - - are there paper cones for 12" as nice as used in Betsy? - fwiw wish there were really good 12" fullrange with real 2mm xmax
Old 21st February 2010, 11:39 PM   #7
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjanda1 View Post
Are you willing to share your wisdom on removing the dustcap without also loosing the whizzer? Might make some folks feel more at ease and willing to give them a shot.
Not at all, i had actually intended to do that. I have to do a dustcapectomy on the 2nd pair i have here, i'll take pictures.

dave
Old 21st February 2010, 11:44 PM   #8
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddi View Post
nice EnABL & plug work - Dave, is the whizzer attached to the former such that if one opens up the dust-cap to see the former that careful hobby knife work will remove only the cap? (I removed the flat cap on Eminence's B102 and that dustcap/whizzer) part is supplied one-piece. Did it lose any top end extension? There ought to be someone who would machine metal plugs for a low cost? - - are there paper cones for 12" as nice as used in Betsy? - fwiw wish there were really good 12" fullrange with real 2mm xmax
Thanx Freddi. One can get the cap off without detaching the whizzer, but you have to get really careful as you approach the coil. On the 1st one i did, i loosened part of the whizzer which quickly made me realize tht i was dealing with the same issues as i had on Nanooks MISCO made HA FR8c (his whizzers were munched so he said just go a head and loose them). A little glue after the fact reattached the whizzer where it had come unattached. The 2nd one i was more careful with and got it done without that issue. One should consider some reinforcement of the joint regardless (a little modpodge works there -- i was from the get go modding them so the modpodge is just part of the routine anyway)

dave
Old 5th March 2010, 11:19 PM   #9
pboser is offline pboser  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Dave,
I just sent Paul the $ for a pair of each of the Betsy and BetsyK drivers. He doesn't have any phase plugs available for sale - have you got any of these left? I'm looking to mess with them one step at a time - tweeter experiments, mortite and/or felt on frame, modgepodge, etc. They might be my first enABL efforts as well!
Best regards,
Pete
Old 6th March 2010, 12:37 AM   #10
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Yes Pete... i beleive there are 9 pair left... and if sufficient demand continues after that, i'll get another batch done.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!