• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

50% off to take Betsy where she's never been!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Of late, and at least on TV, there has been a great interest in diy stuff, be it decorating, home renovating or cooking. There are tech-y folks too, from the subscribers of Make magazine to electronics diy'ers on youtube. A large part of my purpose with WBAL is to provide a good speaker to get folks into fullrangers and diy audio in general. My speakers are designed to be affordable and to work in easy to assemble cabinets just for that purpose (without sacrificing sound, of course). I don't want to fight for the few customers that already exist, I'd rather make the entire market larger and more vibrant. Hopefully folks will enjoy one project (like my speakers) and then feel compelled to build a chip amp or SimpleSE to match, or vice versa.

I'm not looking for shills to head out onto the regular DIY audio haunts. I'd like to find a few customers who are willing to document a project for the newbie and post that documentation somewhere folks will see it (need not even be the internet if you have some other brilliant idea). Creativity is encouraged, but not required. Audio forums are fine too, but I don't need any more exposure here. These folks have access to all the info they need. You don't have to gush about my product. You don't have to lie. Just share your project with folks who might be interested.

Use either the Betsy or the BetsyK in whatever enclosure you choose. If you need ideas, lets talk. I do have some thoughts about more ultra-simple, low tool count projcts. If you/we come up with a plan for a project and a good way to share it, I'll sell you a pair of speakers (or one or five, whatever you need) for half off the normal selling price.

Paul
Wild Burro Audio Labs - DIY Full Range Speakers

FWIW, I'm really interested in "hack" type projects, where one takes some pre-existing something or the other from Ikea or Walmart and makes it work as a speaker. It seems like one could build an open backed cabinet pretty easily from parts for shelving units, and the Betsy would be fair game for such a thing. I've been meaning to mess with such a thing myself, but the OB project is going to zap some time.

Another thought is an ML-TL based on sonotube with pre-made rounds for the ends. It could easily go together without much for a saw. Of course, I'd also love to see some higher-end, more involved efforts, but I do think the world needs more fun and easy.

Paul

I'm really new to all this and would love to try another of your speakers with maybe a helper woofer but am lost in all the techno speak I read regarding crossovers, 2nd order, 3rd order, EQ ? I haven't a clue. Building the baffles/enclosures would not be the problem for me but understanding the electronics and connection options is where I'm lost.

Well, lets hope the electronics stuff is no harder to sort out than I think it will be! I'm about to screw the woofers into some test baffles. For me, DIY is about learning. I get a great deal of satisfaction from expanding my understanding of acoustics and electronics. I think that the technical stuff can be intimidating to new folks, so they end up buying kits they don't understand. The Betsy/Simple OB is a way to start with something simple and build on that knowledge (and construction skill).

The nice thing about the setup I am working on is that it should be awfully easy to adjust. I'll have my choice of 2-3 crossover slopes on the Betsy and 2 on the DSP. The EQ will add even more adjustability. I also suspect that given the crossover region, any summation problems will be reduced in audibility, as compared to, say, a crossover at 3Khz.

There are, of course, proven, near kit-like OB designs floating around out there. My implementation is more complicated (in implementation, not conception) specifically because I'm trying to use the Betsy's full potential (to as low a frequency as is practical) and relatively low Qts woofers (because folks I trust say they sound better).

The best way to get more knowledgeable is often to get one's hands dirty!

Paul

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
H Paul
Betsy-K might be a good mate fore a ribbon
Natural BSC with a clean 90db
And I know how to handle a crossover

50% off would help on custom taxes
I might give it a try
Any chance to get one without whizzer cone ?

How much is linear Xmax ?
And power handling ?

H Paul
Betsy-K might be a good mate fore a ribbon
Natural BSC with a clean 90db
And I know how to handle a crossover

50% off would help on custom taxes
I might give it a try
Any chance to get one without whizzer cone ?

How much is linear Xmax ?
And power handling ?

I can do them without a whizzer as a custom, and I'm actually shipping a pair tomorrow. (I actually took pics of one of them, so I'll post them later). Unfortunately, I just re-stocked, so it'd be 3-ish months until I could ship another pair. Maybe sooner, but I don't want to make promises I can't keep.

I suspect you would use a low pass filter on it? Depending on where and how steeply you crossed it, I'm not sure the whizzer would make much of a difference. It's worth pointing out that the dustcap I'm using actually weighs more than the whizzer assembly! And, I'd be most interested to see how smoothly you could integrate the dispersion characteristics of the fullranger and the ribbon. The whizzer, if anything, would surely help.

I'd love to see a well thought out ribbon crossover. I might be tempted to copy it! Let me know if you decide to do it. If the ribbons are coming from the US too, I'd be happy to pack them together to save you the cost of two overseas shipments.

Paul

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
I'd love to see a well thought out ribbon crossover. I might be tempted to copy it! Let me know if you decide to do it.

[/url]

Hi Paul
On second thoughts, ribbons are too expencive

Im now playing with a 2" widerange, and its quite good
Its a TB and cost like 20USD
Maybe I will look fore waveguide

Due to the Xmax thing it doesnt make sense to use anything but small amps
Single end tube amp, chipamp, small classD, or small classA or AB, anything small
So that will be the target
And it will be fairly easy to build

Attachments

• TB 1.jpg
    TB 1.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 357
  • Betsy-K.JPG
    Betsy-K.JPG
    22.6 KB · Views: 358
>>> I'm really new to all this and would love to try another of your speakers with maybe a helper woofer but am lost in all the techno speak I read regarding crossovers, 2nd order, 3rd order, EQ ? I haven't a clue. Building the baffles/enclosures would not be the problem for me but understanding the electronics and connection options is where I'm lost.

The Betsy/Boomer allows you to blend a helper woofer into the Betsy without the complication of adding crossover components.

Open Baffle Speaker - Betsy and Boomer Open Baffle Speaker Kit

Godzilla

Tinitus: that looks nice!

For all you international folks, given the rock bottom price, I'd appreciate it if you'd cover whatever fees your payment method incurs. PayPal dings me an extra $5 for international transactions, in addition to the normal $2-3. Of course, if you use Western Union, you're already paying the fees at your end.

Paul

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Hi Paul
I figured you might like the "retro" look
Well, I have had this design in my head before
But needed a purpos, and the drivers

I will send you PM
But I will be honest and say that my time frame to present a fully documented design here, with detailed pictures and all, might be a year or so

If you want the whizzer to stay, it stays
I will keep to whats available
But I might want to mount a center plug instead, if possible

Possible to get drivers without dustcap ?
Or is the dustcap needed to mount/support whizzer
And is there drilled hole through center pole piece ?

I have 2 Madisound bk-16 cabs that were routed for 7-8in speakers....I have the pioneer 8 fullrangers in there now, I want to try yours and compare the 2. I have some dayton tweets with them......

The bk-16's are far too small for the BetsyK. You'd need to build a box that mates better with her. There are enclosures that size that will work (sealed, BR, some TL's), but a BLH would need to be much larger.

Paul

Hi Paul
I will send you PM
But I will be honest and say that my time frame to present a fully documented design here, with detailed pictures and all, might be a year or so

If you want the whizzer to stay, it stays
I will keep to whats available
But I might want to mount a center plug instead, if possible

Possible to get drivers without dustcap ?
Or is the dustcap needed to mount/support whizzer
And is there drilled hole through center pole piece ?

I'm patient, just so long as they don't stay on the shelf forever! The whizzer and the dustcap are basically one piece, so it is tough to remove one without the other. If you want to cut them both off, that shouldn't be a problem! The voice coil protrudes in front of the cone a bit, so you've even got some margin for error. No hole through the back of the BetsyK.

I look forward to your PM!

All who are interested: I've got one taker and a couple of folks who seem very serious. If you want in, you better throw your hat in the ring now!

Paul

Ask Keantoken if he might want a pair, I'll spot the cost.

I think he was looking for something like a Fostex fullranger
but Keen's got no money (16yr old kid designing amplifiers),
and these seem to me on paper better than the Pioneer...

I was gonna send him some no-name 6.5 FR's I had, but they
measure terrible now I got em out of the cardboard boxes they
been collecting dust in for years... Deserves a better reference.

He'll have to come up with his own project first, of course.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.