• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Driver Specs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
doesn't help to have cds loaded into a changer so different in level that one cd might average 20dB louder than another - it would not have ever fried if I had used a single-disc player and it didn't make enough noise on Nokie in my room 60 feet away to hear. The event probably also severely clipped the little SM70 Monarchy amp which IIRC is rated around 20W. I'm looking right now for a single disc player with coaxial (not toslink optical) output to use with my outboard DACS. What's a good cheap single disc transport? Can BetsyK be reconed? I can't use Nirvana nor 206EN in this vintage enclosure due to their stupid frames which are not friendly to rear flush mounting.

both CDs are Japanese - this one pictured has wide dynamics - Nokie's cd which is all digital has less dynamics than his old Ventures recordings
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
I don't know what reconing will cost, as it hasn't come up yet. Send me an email, I'll check around, and we'll figure something out.

As far as CD transports go, the cheap Toshiba upsampling units have been budget favorites for awhile. They have a coax digital out, but also 24/192 upsampling DACS. They are about $60 new at Best Buy, but you can get "factory refurbished" online at Best Buy for $35. Darn fine video too, if that matters.

My DVD player is an earlier, 5 channel version of that player. Most all new players have transports that are too noisy for my taste. If that is an issue for you (and it may not be), I'd look at "vintage" units. All of the newer transports I've heard on affordable machines are noisy (of course $1-2K buys you a quiet machine). The TDA1541 based Philips/Marantz/Magnavox players I like all have coax digital outs, and nice quiet transports (CDM 4/10, usually). You'd need to find one that isn't worn out (the tray gear has a limited life). And, if you are using the digital out anyway, you may as well get something a little newer (maybe mid 90's?), as the DAC won't matter. I think you'd be looking at $25-50 on Ebay, maybe less on Craigslist. Older Sony's are often really mechanically solid, but I don't know how many had coax out (as Sony liked optical).

I could probably be talked out of my latest CD player acquisition for $50. It is an old Magnavox that is in excellent condition. Very low miles. Quiet transport, coax out, big display, original remote and power cord. I haven't had a chance to goof it up yet with mods.

Paul
Wild Burro Audio Labs - DIY Full Range Speakers

thanks for the link Paul - I might try that DVD player - just got a Panasonic blu-ray player which is fun on YouTube with Viera-cast (other than inability to search quickly) but its output is optical - might have one dac out of 4-5 accumulated over the years with optical input. Talk about noisy, there's one Entech in my pile which keeps clicking and clicking - it was that way when got it and sounds like a relay toggled at intervals

for a toy, would you manufacture have any of these already built for sale?
LC8CD-8A | Misco Speaker Company.

Hey everyone. Here is a SPICE model for the BetsyK, for those who can use it. I used the impedance plot Paul gave me for a reference. It will work in any simulator, just copy the values in.

I don't know how correct the phase is since the reference didn't have this information.

- keantoken

Attachments

• BetsyKLTSpiceMod.png
    BetsyKLTSpiceMod.png
    14.5 KB · Views: 119
  • BetsyKLTSpice.png
    BetsyKLTSpice.png
    10.1 KB · Views: 125
The model shouldn't be regarded as the last word, since speaker impedance depends on nonlinear mechanisms such as air resistance which can't be modeled conclusively with passive components. Still, I think the match is reasonable.

(wait, IS there any use for this? I'm not sure. Gah. Anyways, it's the best speaker model I know of for SPICE in any case, because of the accuracy of the curve from 500Hz onward. I haven't seen a SPICE model do this realistically before.)

- keantoken

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.