Driver Specs - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Wild Burro Audio

Wild Burro Audio DIY full range speakers from Wild Burro Audio Labs

Old 3rd February 2010, 02:19 AM   #11
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

BetsyK is a very good speaker - mine were among the first. Each one had what I think may have been cold solder joints as the tinsel rattled loose from the eyelet - Its difficult to see here but there's a little knob of solder on the tinsel where it pulled out from the eylet when I played it for the first time yesterday in the early Karlson 12 with a Monarchy SM70. Cone excursion wasn't even 3/16" p-p but it was loud and rocking and bass more coherent than my Klipschorn. The cone would have jumped a lot more imo in reflex tl and probably blh and not reached the same spl - one reason I may not go with GB's TL simulated in MJK's software. A Karlson can be superior.

I think just the vibrations loosened it. Hope I can see to poke the lead back into the eyelet!
http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/1...fromeyelet.jpg

a bit more HF extension could be nice in later WBA drivers - I'd like some 12" WBA as Eminence's 12LTA doesn't have the extension
and Super10 doesn't possess dynamic capability for bass (I'll assume 12" FR are considered ludicrous on this forum)

are you working up some new stuff?

Last edited by freddi; 3rd February 2010 at 02:21 AM.
Old 6th February 2010, 05:03 PM   #12
tweakk is offline tweakk  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Umm..Err...

Hi Freddi,

I saw your post at AA about a K-Betsy-K and was going to ask you about it but since your here I can get to you and Paul at the same time :^)

Can you and the guys at the Karlson forum help with Karlson design optimised for the Betsy?

Also, what do you think about a "tarted-up" Motorola KSN-1005, 1141, 1176 as a helper tweeter?

BTW. Did the 8K I sent you have any features that you haven't seen before? I tried a bunch of drivers with it without success.

Hey Dave!

I just got 2 t-amp modules (sonic impact) and they sound fantasatic with the BKs bi-amped with some tweets I bought from a guy here ( C-Audio). Looks like a set of self- powered speakers is a good idea. Can you email me the plans for the towers? Thanks bro!

Bill H.
Old 6th February 2010, 05:07 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Default Oh yeah...

On the topic of new stuff...

Alnico!!

Even if it doesn't help it sure looks cool :^)

I have heard that it does give a bit of a midrange bloom and top-end sweetness.

Who the heck knows?
Old 6th February 2010, 05:40 PM   #14
pjanda1 is offline pjanda1  United States
diyAudio Member

Bill,

You may have seen it, but Godzilla used to use (maybe still does, I don't know) piezos with the Pioneer B20. You'd probably be using them up a little higher with the BetsyK, so it would certainly be worth a shot.

Re: the T-amp, I like them for OB's because of the built in rolloff. If, however, you have a cabinet that you want to take a little lower, you might consider swapping the input caps for something larger. In stock form, they'll only let you get down to 60hz or so before rolling off. The upside is that the high pass reduces excursion, and thus distortion, while increasing dynamic range.

Paul
Wild Burro Audio Labs - DIY Full Range Speakers
Old 3rd March 2010, 10:51 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

does Misco have a motor which could give BetsyK a higher BL product and more kick? - that could be fun
Old 3rd March 2010, 11:21 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

freddi,

I'm sure Misco can supply whatever is asked for. Personally I think what Paul is offering is one of the smoothest easy to impliment wide-range drivers out there. All I would ask for is more of a mid-range blast to add a bit of "jump" to the sound.
Old 3rd March 2010, 11:39 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Freddi,

There actually isn't an easy way to do it. I can only do a bigger motor with a bigger voice coil, which given this cone's stiffness, would limit high frequency extension. It would be more of a widebander. I know that would probably be perfect for you, but I'd need a few more interested folks to justify the development costs. But, aren't you looking for more high frequency rise to mate well with the Karlsons? A lower Qts won't net you much (in any) more HF. If you want, I could look into doing a shorting ring as a custom unit. That would probably make a bigger difference in your application.

Paul
Old 3rd March 2010, 11:44 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Tweakk,

Thanks for your kind words. To respond to your earlier exclamation, there is an Alnico motor I could use. The problem is that it would limit mechanical Xmax to less than I am comfortable with. I actually think others have used the same motor in fullrange, bass reflex applications. But, single driver OB would be an even bigger stretch. Again, there are some development costs too, so I'd need to see some wider interest.

I'm continuing to explore another motor avenue that may be exciting to both of you, but it will be considerably more expensive. We're so far behind schedule on it that I hesitate to say more at this point.

Paul
Old 3rd March 2010, 11:46 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

dang it - just had a good wide-dynamic recording of percussion & flutes playing nicely - it is cut so low that my transformer volume control was up all the way, I went out of that room and my 5 disc changer slipped into a Nokie Edwards recording with very little dynamics but cut much higher - that heated BetsyK to cooked level and fried her coil to a smelly state. Damn those low dynamic recordings cut to 0dB or higher !!! At least my re-soldered joint held in the eyelets I can't easily mount a Fostex FE206EN in a stock 8K Karlson due to the way its stamped frame is manufactured. Maybe I better buy a single disc transport

Last edited by freddi; 3rd March 2010 at 11:53 PM.
Old 4th March 2010, 12:02 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Impressive! Not only were you the only one to damage one of my speakers, but now you are the first (and only) to have destroyed one! You really could benefit from a bigger voice coil. I wish I could do one cheaper. Now you officially require a re-cone!

Paul

Hide this!Advertise here!