Introducing: - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Wild Burro Audio

Wild Burro Audio DIY full range speakers from Wild Burro Audio Labs

Old 14th January 2010, 11:58 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Default OT? - outdoor ( PVC or OB ) full range speakers?

Last summer we had a big screened porch added to our house. Unlike Nebraska, South Carolina has 7 months of warm weather and sweatshirt winters so a screened porch here is like an extra room. I installed some Insignia outdoor speakers on the porch but they aren't very good.

One guy on ebay sells outdoor PVC pipe speakers but I'd rather go DIY. The drivers would need to be made out of a material that would be weather resistant. I doubt OB's could be a strong consideration or could they? I'm sure they would sound great but the drivers may be exposed to some dampness and temperature changes ( maybe something with a propylene cone? ). Perhaps the baffles could be integrated into the porch railings or hung from the 12 ft cathedral ceiling. Your or others' thoughts?

Paul, how bout some weather resistant Betsy's? I haven't been able to find any detailed DIY info on this subject so any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Maybe this should be a separate thread?
Old 16th January 2010, 03:20 AM   #12
pjanda1 is offline pjanda1  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poultrygeist View Post

Paul, how bout some weather resistant Betsy's? I haven't been able to find any detailed DIY info on this subject so any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Maybe this should be a separate thread?
Let me see what I can do. This is certainly something I have not considered! My initial thought is a sealed box with a waterproofed driver. I'll get back to you in a few days. Don't be afraid to bug me about it!

Paul
Wild Burro Audio Labs - DIY Full Range Speakers
Old 18th January 2010, 05:06 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

I checked with someone who knows, and they said that Scotchguard style treatment would work for awhile. So, my take would be to build a sealed box (it would be harder to coat the rear suspension completely), finished in something more or less waterproof. Take a regular BetsyK, and spray on some waterproofing/water repellent. You could re-apply every year or two. Provided they aren't subjected directly to water (rained on) I suspect you'd get many years out of them. I wouldn't worry much about temperature, especially down there. These adhesives and materials see far worse in auto applications. If speakers can take 30 below in MN, they'll be fine on your porch.

And, I wouldn't worry too much about the sonics of the coating, especially in that application. We're talking about a fairly thin layer, and far heavier and crazier things are often applied in the hopes of improving fullrangers. Who knows, maybe you'd like the Scotchguarded drivers better!

I would think about getting them up and out of the way of any rain that might blow in. You'd also want some sort of grill that keeps any insects out. I don't know what you've got down there, but a wasp nest between the cone and whizzer would certainly make them sound worse.

Paul
Wild Burro Audio Labs - DIY Full Range Speakers
Old 19th January 2010, 09:03 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

The guy on ebay that sells pvc outdoor speakers says he uses Dayton full rangers with poly cones. His are made for full exposure to the elements.
Old 20th January 2010, 03:14 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

I couldn't find any Dayton poly cone fullrangers. PE does carry a couple of Pyle Marine speakers. The 6 1/2"ers are $17 bucks, so I can't compete with that! Of course, they don't publish any specs. I have a hard time imagining a poly cone can get that high. It seems to me that they'd either be awfully heavy, or not stiff enough. It all depends on how good you want it to sound. I wouldn't be terribly surprised if a paper cone coated in urethane varnish (spar?), acrylic or something else waterproof (a thin coat of course) ended up sounding better than the Pyles. But you never know.

Paul

Hide this!Advertise here!