NP D1 DAC clone with enhancement - Page 22 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th July 2012, 11:50 AM   #211
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer View Post
Hi Davide,

Shielding is to prevent oscillation due to some large film capacitor at about 180MHz. It will not help on sonic performance.

Spencer
Hi Spencer,
many thanks again for your help!
But how can I understand If capacitors that I use need to be shielded?
I am begin to test many type of capacitors in oder to find the best for sonic result with my amplifier and my loudspeakers system, and I'd like to know what of then need a shield.... How can I do?
Many thanks. Best regards.
Davide.
Old 16th July 2012, 01:03 PM   #212
spencer is offline spencer  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to spencer Send a message via Skype™ to spencer
Unstable DC offset or hot jfets at output stage.
Old 23rd July 2012, 02:14 PM   #213
diyAudio Member

Note that there is an upgrade for this old DAC with WM8804 with better results. See below link:
D1V3 & D1V33 NEW upgrade – WM8804 to CS8412 converter board
Old 24th July 2012, 08:33 AM   #214
diyAudio Member

how does WM8804 improve over CS8412 - better bass or what
did you measure jitter of two being on one location
can you play 24 /192 files when you use WM8804 on D1V33
Old 24th July 2012, 08:36 AM   #215
diyAudio Member

Note that SM5842 and PCM63 cannot take too high Fs and thus it should not work at 192k Fs.

Please read below document.

http://www.fetaudio.com/wp-content/u...l-Details1.pdf
Old 15th August 2012, 08:26 PM   #216
diyAudio Member

HAving seen his post here, I emailed spencer to upgrade my D1 - which was actually an older D1V2 - but which had already been upgraded to take a DIR9001 and 5847.

Anyway, spencer very kindly sent on the new board with 8804 + the matched 2SK369 needed to bring the performance to near D1V33 specs. Cue a few weeks later and the parts arrive yesterday. Installing them was pretty easy because of the previous upgrades (the WM8804 slotted right in).

There is a clear sound improvement - improved clarity + bass is tighter, more defined soundstage - smaller details easier to notice etc. The replay chain is shigaclone>>D1>>LM3875 chipamp (audiosector premium kit)>>FHMK3 with Alpair 7s.Well worth the (small) outlay and the bit of desoldering etc to swap in the 2SK369.

The nice thing is that the extra detail etc is not at the expense of fluidity/midrange, and not a trace of sibilance or harshness. I had thought for a long while that my buffalo build edged out the D1, particularly since it had better midrange. Wouldn't be too sure about that anymore.

Happy camper!! Anyone with one of these DACs: its worth looking at this upgrade.

fran
Old 19th August 2012, 06:10 AM   #217
regal is offline regal  United States
diyAudio Member

This is great to hear, I am not surprised about your opinion on the Buffalo comparison. Thanks for the report. This Spencer's design had loads of potential, but really wasn't a "clone" at all, it has much more potential with the Jung style high quality power regulation and flexibility on the digital side. The nice thing about these "D1" boards is the ability to accept a masterclock , I wish I had held on to my SpencerD1 as it is setup for a good integration with iancanadas FIFO, if you are hearing an impact from just upgrading to the WM8804, this shows that there may even more opportunity with a large Ram Fifo. Spencer had really a quality design, I was "semi-happy" with the sk170 I/V sound but not enough to keep it, should have held on to it for the SK369 solution. Still kicking myself for that

Really do hope Spencer can get back into the multibit DAC design approach.
Old 14th September 2012, 08:15 AM   #218
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer View Post
Note that there is an upgrade for this old DAC with WM8804 with better results. See below link:
D1V3 & D1V33 NEW upgrade WM8804 to CS8412 converter board
Hi,
it could be very interesting!!
Now my D1V3 with all D1V33 upgrades and DIR9001 has reached a very good tonal balance with my amplifier and a very long selection of C4, C15, C25, C36 caps. Sound is very good and neutral.
Could it be possible that replacing DIR9001 with WM8804 the balancing of bass/high frequency can change? This should not be needed, because the amount of bass frequency is already good enough.
Can someone help me to decide?
Thanks a lot.
Davide.
Old 16th September 2012, 02:41 PM   #219
diyAudio Member

I did the upgrade - Spencer even supplied the parts needed to bring mine up from an older version. It has made a substantial improvement - the tonal balance is not what changes, what you get is improved resolution, more 3d soundstage, and cleaner tighter bass and treble. I've heard these kinds of improvements before and I put it down to ever decreasing jitter.

For the small outlay, and ease of installation, it's a no-brainer.

Fran
Old 16th September 2012, 11:03 PM   #220
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodturner-fran View Post
I did the upgrade - Spencer even supplied the parts needed to bring mine up from an older version. It has made a substantial improvement - the tonal balance is not what changes, what you get is improved resolution, more 3d soundstage, and cleaner tighter bass and treble. I've heard these kinds of improvements before and I put it down to ever decreasing jitter.

For the small outlay, and ease of installation, it's a no-brainer.

Fran
Hi Fran,
many thaks for your important information.
I will do the upgrade as soon as possible!

Davide.

Hide this!Advertise here!