• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

NP D1 DAC clone with enhancement

buzzing relay please help

at last I have started assembly kit D1V33

this is my problem... during the final adjustement A-B (R1/R2 and R10/R11 pots) and 3hrs after plug in a second PCM63 I have a very annoying buzzing sound coming from the output relay K3 (left socket)

have You any idea what is causing this or how do I resolve it??
(have not scope)

thanks

denis

Last edited:
USB to SPDIF

Hello Spencer!
Recently I have completed the assemblage of D1V3 DAC. It souns great!! Really a top performance!
Now I am thinking to use sometimes my notebook as player too, but it has only USB output connection obviously.
I am searching a USB to SPDIF converter or a good schematic in order to realize one DIY.
What do you suggest me about it?
Many thanks. Best regards.
Davide.

Frankly speaking, I never use USB connection from PC as I have many source. Thus I think you can try to get one simple and cheap on to try and thus you may want to upgrade the crystal in future. I think the only format available today is 16bit/48k and there is not much 24 bit USB receiver available from the market yet.

Thank you for your feedback and enjoy!
Spencer

Hi Davide,

Shielding is to prevent oscillation due to some large film capacitor at about 180MHz. It will not help on sonic performance.

Spencer

Hi Spencer,
many thanks again for your help!
But how can I understand If capacitors that I use need to be shielded?
I am begin to test many type of capacitors in oder to find the best for sonic result with my amplifier and my loudspeakers system, and I'd like to know what of then need a shield.... How can I do?
Many thanks. Best regards.
Davide.

HAving seen his post here, I emailed spencer to upgrade my D1 - which was actually an older D1V2 - but which had already been upgraded to take a DIR9001 and 5847.

Anyway, spencer very kindly sent on the new board with 8804 + the matched 2SK369 needed to bring the performance to near D1V33 specs. Cue a few weeks later and the parts arrive yesterday. Installing them was pretty easy because of the previous upgrades (the WM8804 slotted right in).

There is a clear sound improvement - improved clarity + bass is tighter, more defined soundstage - smaller details easier to notice etc. The replay chain is shigaclone>>D1>>LM3875 chipamp (audiosector premium kit)>>FHMK3 with Alpair 7s.Well worth the (small) outlay and the bit of desoldering etc to swap in the 2SK369.

The nice thing is that the extra detail etc is not at the expense of fluidity/midrange, and not a trace of sibilance or harshness. I had thought for a long while that my buffalo build edged out the D1, particularly since it had better midrange. Wouldn't be too sure about that anymore.

Happy camper!! Anyone with one of these DACs: its worth looking at this upgrade.

fran

This is great to hear, I am not surprised about your opinion on the Buffalo comparison. Thanks for the report. This Spencer's design had loads of potential, but really wasn't a "clone" at all, it has much more potential with the Jung style high quality power regulation and flexibility on the digital side. The nice thing about these "D1" boards is the ability to accept a masterclock , I wish I had held on to my SpencerD1 as it is setup for a good integration with iancanadas FIFO, if you are hearing an impact from just upgrading to the WM8804, this shows that there may even more opportunity with a large Ram Fifo. Spencer had really a quality design, I was "semi-happy" with the sk170 I/V sound but not enough to keep it, should have held on to it for the SK369 solution. Still kicking myself for that :)

Really do hope Spencer can get back into the multibit DAC design approach.

Note that there is an upgrade for this old DAC with WM8804 with better results. See below link:
D1V3 & D1V33 NEW upgrade – WM8804 to CS8412 converter board

Hi,
it could be very interesting!!
Now my D1V3 with all D1V33 upgrades and DIR9001 has reached a very good tonal balance with my amplifier and a very long selection of C4, C15, C25, C36 caps. Sound is very good and neutral.
Could it be possible that replacing DIR9001 with WM8804 the balancing of bass/high frequency can change? This should not be needed, because the amount of bass frequency is already good enough.
Can someone help me to decide?
Thanks a lot.
Davide.

I did the upgrade - Spencer even supplied the parts needed to bring mine up from an older version. It has made a substantial improvement - the tonal balance is not what changes, what you get is improved resolution, more 3d soundstage, and cleaner tighter bass and treble. I've heard these kinds of improvements before and I put it down to ever decreasing jitter.

For the small outlay, and ease of installation, it's a no-brainer.

Fran

I did the upgrade - Spencer even supplied the parts needed to bring mine up from an older version. It has made a substantial improvement - the tonal balance is not what changes, what you get is improved resolution, more 3d soundstage, and cleaner tighter bass and treble. I've heard these kinds of improvements before and I put it down to ever decreasing jitter.

For the small outlay, and ease of installation, it's a no-brainer.

Fran

Hi Fran,
many thaks for your important information.
I will do the upgrade as soon as possible!

Davide.