• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

DIY Enclosures LLC - a new chassis manufacturing company in the USA.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
TurboFC3S said:
What is the thermal rating of each individual heatsink in the 1712HS?

And could you tell me if this is a good idea or bad idea? I have some .032" copper sheeting. If I cut 4 pieces to size and bonded it to the back of the heatsink using a thermal epoxy, would it have real world benefits? The output trans (of a GB150D for instance) would then be attached to the copper, and a thermal paste used. My thinking is that the copper properly bonded would help spread heat more evenly and efficiently into the aluminum sink.

If it would help I could also do like I used to do with computer CPU's and heatsinks, where you sand the CPU core and back of the heatsink to a mirror shine and then attach with thermal paste ... I could usually overclock a bit more after doing that, so I assume it would have the same benefits in this application. It's all about heat transfer.

I guess what I'm getting at, is would it be possible to run 4 GB150D amps in AB mode in a 1712HS case? My rack is well ventilated, and obviously I'd get the top vented version of the 1712.

The copper plate idea sounds great. I think that would actually work quite nicely. I however, don't know the exact heat dissipation of the individual heatsinks. I believe ohenry has been working on this same (or similar) amp into the DIY-1712HS, so I'm hoping that he'll be able to speak to this. Henry, what do you think, are the heatsinks able to handle this load? :cool:

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I think it would be better to attach the output device to a copper plate with only grease, no insulator. Then use an insulator and grease between the much larger interface of copper/heatsink. This would get more heat off the device and the less efficient junction (with insulator) is a much larger area.

The copper plate idea sounds great. I think that would actually work quite nicely. I however, don't know the exact heat dissipation of the individual heatsinks. I believe ohenry has been working on this same (or similar) amp into the DIY-1712HS, so I'm hoping that he'll be able to speak to this. Henry, what do you think, are the heatsinks able to handle this load? :cool: [/B]

Sorry Michael, no progress yet. I've been finishing another amp, but I should be starting the class A GB150 soon... maybe tonight???

Mr. Richard Krol - I just got my 1712...

I just got my 1712 and it is fabulous! Nice construction and finish. You can't beat the price point either! I didn't realize it came with feet, nice touch.

Now, I have to drill a bunch of holes in it.

Mr. Richard Krol - Nicely done!

I have a question though, can I have you make some custom holes or is that beyond what you guys want to do?

Also do you sell the front and back panels separately? If I mess a few up I'd love to be able to buy more...

Just curious but once again, of all the DIY chassis's I've bought this is the nicest fo far.

Regards,
Tom

Re: Mr. Richard Krol - I just got my 1712...

ptwining said:

I have a question though, can I have you make some custom holes or is that beyond what you guys want to do?

Also do you sell the front and back panels separately? If I mess a few up I'd love to be able to buy more...

Just curious but once again, of all the DIY chassis's I've bought this is the nicest fo far.

Regards,
Tom

Tom,
Thanks for your questions. I don't sell the panels individually, but I could provide them at special request. Also, we do not provide any custom machine work at this time. I'm really happy that you're enjoying the chassis and I look forward to hearing about your project!

Best Regards,
-Michael Woods

Really like the look of the 1712 but after trying 3 different credit cards (lots of room on all of them) to try and order all were rejected - it's getting a bit frustrating. I love America but live in Canada - guess they can't read my heart javascript:smilie(':hbeat:'). Other Canadians who've got a more positive result offer suggestions?

Thanks
Rez

Hi rez

It's likely your credit card companies protecting you from unusual spending patterns (and nothing to do with Canada/US issues). Their computers watch for expenditures outside your usual spending and block them. If you call the 800 number and tell them you're going to buy stuff elsewhere, that should work.

BTW, notify them beforehand if you plan to go on a trip as well.

This is all a good thing IMO - they blocked some hotel charges in Germany on my wife's card, and we were pleased since we were in Canada at the time. :D

Regards.

Aengus

DIY-1712 arrived today !!!

Just wanted to share the news that my DIY-1712 arrived today !

It's going to house my headphone amp/preamp combo (both ESP designs, the p37 preamp and the p70 DoZ headphone amp).

The delivery was super quick (from the US to Australia in a little over a week !), and the case is looking very nice indeed (this is in its un-assembled form !)

Can't wait to start putting it together !!!

Thanks a million !

I just got a 0610 case yesterday for use with my 41HZ amp5. I've been sitting in my listening room less and less and enjoying my music streamed throughout the house more and more. I use a squeezebox and several airport expresses. I decided to put the amp5 in a small amp case with a courtesy outlet so that I could have my squeezebox or airport express plugged into it and really only have a small box and a pair of speakers with minimal wires between them.

The case is really very nice. It's in the same price range as the Sescom cases I generally use, but nicer quality. The 0610 was the perfect size for what I needed. The $7 input module was icing on the cake, filtered, with fuse and switch for seven bucks! I'm used to paying like $30 for something similar.

I've got the amp all packaged and playing behind me as I type this. Some pictures of the chassis and my design are here:

http://quadesl.com/photoalbums/Audio/41HZ_Amp5/albumIndex.html

Some thoughts:

With such little real-estate on the back panel, it would be nice if the input module was pushed a bit closer to the edge.

The metal is a super easy alloy to work with, and the anodizing is really nice.

The panels are thin, but when bolted together are quite stiff. A larger chassis may need thicker panels but I haven't tried one of those yet.

I got the unit quite fast, and it was nicely packed.

I'm quite happy all in all.

Sheldon

Another note:

The rubber feet look very nice, but may be problematic. First of all they smell like the tire section at a Harbor Freight. Second they appear to be oily. I'm not sure I'd trust the supplied feet on any finished wood surface. I had the amp sitting on unfinished oak and they left an oil ring.

It would be great if such a nice case would come with slightly better feet.

Sheldon

eboz said:

The copper plate idea sounds great. I think that would actually work quite nicely. I however, don't know the exact heat dissipation of the individual heatsinks. I believe ohenry has been working on this same (or similar) amp into the DIY-1712HS, so I'm hoping that he'll be able to speak to this. Henry, what do you think, are the heatsinks able to handle this load? :cool:

ohenry said:

Sorry Michael, no progress yet. I've been finishing another amp, but I should be starting the class A GB150 soon... maybe tonight???

Just an update... I did get the SKA 150D Class A version together and playing. The heatsinks were adequate to handle the heat dissipation (rail voltage = 33v). Here's a shot of the unit just before making all the connections. The side rib was removed to allow centering of the amp module and that was easy with a Dremel cutting wheel. Once each heat sink was secured to the side panels with four bolts, the sides are very sturdy without the rib. I'll try to get a more current shot to show the finished amp, the case and amp turned out very nice.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

1712 kit arrived today!

While it is perhaps a bit premature to post a review I must say the fit and finish of the parts and pieces is outstanding for the price. The face, in particular, ( I got mine in black ) is very substantial and beautifully finished.

Can't wait till the parts for the Greg Ball skPre and the transformer from Plitron to arrive so I can start putting it all together.
rez

bequerel said:
Is it possible to have the front panel and 2 mm top panel without anodizing?
I think that the chassis could work for me, but I would have to drill several holes and anodize the panels afterwards here locally.

Can the 2 mm top panel be used in the bottom as well?

The best you can do is to order the clear (silver) anodizing. The 2mm top panel can also be used as the bottom plate, and the bottom plate used as the top.

PV NOS DAC & PV Anjali panels are here!

Hi fellas,

I got my panels milled and drilled by Front Panel Express. They turned out excellent.

More images can be seen here and here.

Time to start building my NOS dac and gain clone amplifier! :smash:

Enjoy,

Anand.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.