• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Remote control kits

I am olso cloning the Aleph P1.7 pre-amp, and i want to use RelVol3 (balanced) and the input2 (also balanced).

What i do not understand is weere to tun on to increase or decrease volume? I do not see any volumepot or dact to turn on. So i miss something.

can anybody tell me please?

Hi Wim,

The combination you mention is perfect for a P1.7 system. It is the same one I have myself! :D

This system is relay based, much like the original P1.7. To use those parts you also need a Control2, and a display.

The only thing you can improve is the use of the resistors. For the P1.7 you need a total resistor value of 2K instead of the 5K offered. I can give you the values for resistors you need for a P1.7. But then Mikkel can do that too.

The attached picture is my P1.7. In the back you can see the Input 2 at the bottom, with a Relvol3 on top. The control2 is mounted to the inside of the frontpanel.

Greetings, Harry

Attachments

• inside frontview.jpg
    inside frontview.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 991
harryeng said:
The only thing you can improve is the use of the resistors. For the P1.7 you need a total resistor value of 2K instead of the 5K offered. I can give you the values for resistors you need for a P1.7. But then Mikkel can do that too.

You can order other resistor values from me also. It will take 2-3 days to get the resistors, but the price is the same.

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Mikkel, I just put in an order through your website for RelVol3 and Input2 (and resistors), but forgot to add a control kit - I'm looking for volume control and input control for my Aleph P1.7 kit - can I cancel this order somehow or can I just ignore the confirmation email and create a new order

Sorry I ordered too hastily. Looking through this thread and on your website, I may actually want to add even more items, including a vfd/display as well

Thanks,

Stephen

Relay Attenuator Questions

Hi Mikkel,
I've been looking into your relay attenuator kits to use as a passive pre between my source and my amp, and I have a couple questions.

1) On your RelVol1 schematic, what are R27 and R28 for? Are they supposed to tailor the load impedance? Are they necessary if the load matches the attenuator impedance (1k, 5k, 10k, 20k, 50k, or 100k)?

2) I have a solid state amp with an input impedance of 47k. My source has an output impedance of 230. Which attenuator value do you recommend? 10k seems to be the most common, and is ~50X the output impedance, but it would require a shunt resistor at the attenuator output (R27 and R28??) to bring the load imedance down to 10k. Would 20k or 50k be any better (50k is close to the load impedance of the amp)?

3) On the control boards for your relay attenuators, what happens when -64dB or 0dB is reached? Does it simply stay at the last setting? Is it possible to go from -64 to 0 if volume continues to be adjusted?

Thanks for reading!
Ted

Re: Relay Attenuator Questions

TedS said:
1) On your RelVol1 schematic, what are R27 and R28 for? Are they supposed to tailor the load impedance? Are they necessary if the load matches the attenuator impedance (1k, 5k, 10k, 20k, 50k, or 100k)?

Yes, the load resistors are there to tailor the load. If the load impedance is the same as the attenuator impedance they are not needed.

2) I have a solid state amp with an input impedance of 47k. My source has an output impedance of 230. Which attenuator value do you recommend? 10k seems to be the most common, and is ~50X the output impedance, but it would require a shunt resistor at the attenuator output (R27 and R28??) to bring the load imedance down to 10k. Would 20k or 50k be any better (50k is close to the load impedance of the amp)?

I recommend using the lowest value that the source equipment is comfortable with (to get a low output impedance). Normally 10k or 20k is fine. You will then need load resistors when the load is 47k.

3) On the control boards for your relay attenuators, what happens when -64dB or 0dB is reached? Does it simply stay at the last setting? Is it possible to go from -64 to 0 if volume continues to be adjusted?

When you reach "the end" (0 or -63) the attenuator stays at that setting untill you turn the encoder the other way. So you can't change from -63dB to 0dB by accident :)

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

Thanks for the info, Mikkel!

Here's what I'm hoping to accomplish with my project:

1) Remote-controlled passive volume control (obviously)

2) Display of volume level

3) Modular such that input selection can be added if needed.

I only have 2 sources, so input selection is low priority, and if added may just be a manual switch.

So would VolControl2 + RelVol1 be the best combination to achieve this?

Ted

TedS said:
Here's what I'm hoping to accomplish with my project:

1) Remote-controlled passive volume control (obviously)
2) Display of volume level
3) Modular such that input selection can be added if needed.

I only have 2 sources, so input selection is low priority, and if added may just be a manual switch.

So would VolControl2 + RelVol1 be the best combination to achieve this?

The VolControl2 does not normally support input selection. I can make your VC2 with special software so that an input selector can be added. But then you will/would only be able to select inputs using the remote.

You could also use a Control2 with a front panel and display - but that does cost a bit more...

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

Hi Mikkel,

Im am very sad, becouse my configuration does not work.

I measure 5VDC on the input2, on the RelVol3 and the control2 board (measured on JP1 between pin 2,4,6(+) and pin 8,10,12 and 14 (-).

Now i measure on pin 15 and 16 from JP6 (display) only 1,2VDC.

So the display does not light up.

Can you mayby help.

Attachments

• herschaalde kopie van test5.jpg
    herschaalde kopie van test5.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 555
Hi Mikkel,

I think I'll keep it simple and make the source selection a manual function - either cable swapping or a switch.

On VolControl2, I assume it will display 0 to 64 based on the relay settings. Since there is no "-" for negative, does 64 correspond to min or max attenuation? Or is it programmable?

Ted

wim said:
I measure 5VDC on the input2, on the RelVol3 and the control2 board (measured on JP1 between pin 2,4,6(+) and pin 8,10,12 and 14 (-).

Now i measure on pin 15 and 16 from JP6 (display) only 1,2VDC.

So the display does not light up.

I can try :)

Does the display work? If the contrast is set correctly you should be able to see the text on the display, even with the backlight off.

Do you measure 5V on pin 15 and 16, if you disconnect them from the display? What voltage do you measure accross R2 and C-E of the 2907 (with the display connected)?

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

Hi MCS and all,

to go on from responses given in post 139 (Post #139)
I got one last question, for input1 or input2 board, can one the input or the tape in be used as input bypass ? (i.e an input that will
directly go to the line output - Balanced for 2, SE for 1 - without going through the preamp+ Vol Board)
N.B : my config should be input Board + Board Preamp + Vol Board

Thanks for response

rtd said:
I got one last question, for input1 or input2 board, can one the input or the tape in be used as input bypass ? (i.e an input that will
directly go to the line output - Balanced for 2, SE for 1 - without going through the preamp+ Vol Board)
N.B : my config should be input Board + Board Preamp + Vol Board

With the standard setup you can configure one of the inputs to have a fixed volume setting (i.e. no attenuation) - it will still go through the attenuator and preamp though.

You could easily hardwire a bypass function, using the tape monitor relay for instance.

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen