• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

SilentSwitcher - mains-free +/-15V and 6/5/3.3V power

There are no provisions for that. Two SilentSwitchers will have minute small output voltage differences, and if you parallel them the one that is slightly lower would start to draw current from the one that's slightly higher. So that won't work, sorry.

Can't you use the two SS's to supply two units, like two channels on a preamp?

Jan

When using multiple SS's does each need to have a separate supply from the wall?

Looking again there is are two LM317/LM337 pairs. Moreover there is (at least one) 3.3V rail for which I have not yet seen the regulator.

reg_pos.jpg

Last edited:
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
When using multiple SS's does each need to have a separate supply from the wall?

No, you can supply both from the same USB source (or USB charger) or a wall-wart type supply, up to 12V max.

A SS can supply about 8-10W total, depending on voltage, which means that the max input requirement can be above 10W. Most standard USB chargers supply about 2A at 5V which nicely fits.

Jan

Just a quick post to say I am still working out my requirements Jan for the SS. It is not that straight forward for me with my peculiar cd player.

If I required 9V output, what would the max load be ?

And is it possible to use the whole of the +/- output for a positive voltage only ? By that I mean using say the 9V negative as 0V and the 9V positive for a +18V supply ?

I take it the gnd on your board is like a centre tap ?

Apologies if I have this all wrong

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I haven't tested a +/-9V version but would expect a current capability of around 200mA per side continuously.

You are right about the center tap thing, which means that the 'tap' has a common with the input power. So you *could* use the +/-9 as an 18V source but you'd need to float the input source from ground (automatically done with a USB charger or power bank not connected to anything else).
But that also would mean you couldn't use the 6.5/5/3.3 because that also shares the common.

How about setting one output to +18V and use that? Is that an option? You probably could pull 100mA cont. from that easily.

Jan

Thanks Jan,

Well I have just bypassed the output stage in my CD3.5 with very pleasing results. Just a 1st order filter on the dac output, 10uf coupling cap and 100k to ground. If I stick with this then there is much less to power in this cdp :D

I don't need 18V if this simple passive output stage works out long term. The problem I have is that all the chips are positive voltage only and most are at 5V. There are two however that are 9V for servo power drivers, display and one of the 9V regs also is a pre regulator for another 5V reg in the Naim swing out tray (if you are familiar with them).

Reg needs to be close to the laser which I could not achieve because SS will have to be a long way away. If I leave the LM317 in the swing out tray then in order for it to regulate I need a bit of headroom which the 5V output of a SS will not give.

I am working on a solution though :)

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Thanks Jan,

Well I have just bypassed the output stage in my CD3.5 with very pleasing results. Just a 1st order filter on the dac output, 10uf coupling cap and 100k to ground. If I stick with this then there is much less to power in this cdp :D

I don't need 18V if this simple passive output stage works out long term. The problem I have is that all the chips are positive voltage only and most are at 5V. There are two however that are 9V for servo power drivers, display and one of the 9V regs also is a pre regulator for another 5V reg in the Naim swing out tray (if you are familiar with them).

Reg needs to be close to the laser which I could not achieve because SS will have to be a long way away. If I leave the LM317 in the swing out tray then in order for it to regulate I need a bit of headroom which the 5V output of a SS will not give.

I am working on a solution though :)

It might be usefull to see if the 9V prereg for the 5 V can be lowered to 6.5V. Depending on the reg type, if it is low dropout, then it can be powered by the 6.5V from a SS which is there for this exact purpose.

Jan

Hi Jan, I am afraid that I may have hurt my SilentSwitcher. Not exactly sure what is causing it, but this is what I see:
- the -V output gives 0 V: almost no voltage difference with ground
- L3 is cracked - see attached pic, don’t know what happened there!

Do you have any suggestions on how to go about troubleshooting or fixing?

Thanks in advance,

Maarten

IMG_3162.jpg