• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

AckoDAC based on ES9038PRO

Boards have arrived, time to load up and test :)

Attachments

• AKD32 Boards.jpg
    AKD32 Boards.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 966
Can I use hard buttons with the controller instead of other controlling options to view and set all registers?
There is a DIP switch SW1 (brought to headers also) to control limited number of commonly used functions (e.g PLL BW and Filter types) but anything more than that is by remote control. You can also save all settings to memory and use this instead of switch settings. Of course if you wish to do this on-the-fly remote control is the way to go.

How many voltage regulators will I need for the AKD32M dual mono setup? Will it be different boards or modified stereo board?
Ken
Min: 2 (1.2V and 3.3V) and share to all power points of the DAC if you are alright with the performance trade offs.
Recommended: all separate regulation, 8 for each DAC module sourced by single or multiple master supplies, again based on budget and performance consideration. So the flexibility is there
Dual mono is two stereo boards configured.

Last edited:
I'm considering the "AKD38 Multi-channel DAC" but I have a few questions first.
I will need the dac for a 3-way stereo xo and had a plan to parralell 4ch for the hp leaving the remaining 4 channels for mid and lp, is this possible?

Is the "Lossless Digital Volume Control" available at the dac board itself or is there need for more than a potentiometer ?
I see that there is a controlboard in the picture is that included in the purchase ?
What's the size of the dac pcb ?

I'm considering the "AKD38 Multi-channel DAC" but I have a few questions first.
I will need the dac for a 3-way stereo xo and had a plan to parralell 4ch for the hp leaving the remaining 4 channels for mid and lp, is this possible?

Is the "Lossless Digital Volume Control" available at the dac board itself or is there need for more than a potentiometer ?
I see that there is a controlboard in the picture is that included in the purchase ?
What's the size of the dac pcb ?

Yes, this is possible.
Volume level for all channels is digitally controlled by the DAC itself (as shown) using a single Pot. External Pot is possible but is going to be rather unwieldy for a multi-channel system.

Control board is included

Board size 58mm x58mm

Found this in the description, would you like to elaborate ?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Put it simply, external devices can be suitably programmed to communicate with this DAC for viewing and control -wired or wireless. This also gives great convenience as you are not limited to fiddling knobs and switches on a board or front panel with tiny LCDs like in other DAC designs

This can be a simple command line utility running on a PC or sleek control App on an iPhone. The former suits DIY as it is practically free with commonly available resources.

Of course, DAC can still run without any of these remote options

More information and details are provided in the users manual

I'm using mine for a 3-way xo using i2s input and that's not a problem.
A friend of mine has a different setup that's a different challenge though.
It's a 5-way system, the dsp has 5ch spdif and 3ch i2s outputs.
Would it be possible to make this work with "only" two dacs ?
As I see it spdif only gives you the possibility for stereo mode, right ?
That would be three dacs if I'm not misstaken :confused:

Is it to soon to ask for a sound quality review ? :cool:

I'm using mine for a 3-way xo using i2s input and that's not a problem.
A friend of mine has a different setup that's a different challenge though.
It's a 5-way system, the dsp has 5ch spdif and 3ch i2s outputs.
Would it be possible to make this work with "only" two dacs ?
As I see it spdif only gives you the possibility for stereo mode, right ?
That would be three dacs if I'm not misstaken :confused:

Is it to soon to ask for a sound quality review ? :cool:

Yes, Spdif is stereo mode only
So for a 5-way system using Spdif that would be 3 DACs per L/R channel, so 6 in total!

Rest assured the AKD38 DAC is a modular design and scalable to match your requirements.
Sound quality, you will not be disappointed :)

Last edited: