• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Wood lathe turned rca audio knobs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Rosewood small knobs

I made these 3 knobs this morning out of a rosewood pen blank. I found some improvements in my process to be able to accurately turn these.
I then finished them with a CA boiled linseed oil pen makers finish. The photo does not do the gloss justice (I am terrible with photos. lol)

I was able to accurately drill the hole for the collet that I use.

45 Adapter

This one was a lot of work. Just an example. The black strips are burnished with wire. The center record adapter is cut out with my laser cutter out of 2 colors of veneer. The knob is maple. The knob itself is finished on the lathe with boiled linseed oil and thin super glue. The center is floated with Super Glaze, like a bar table. I think I am going to do one today with a musical note in it. Knob is a little over 2 inches and about 3/4 thick.

Yes, I am working on that. A little custom work would be awesome. The biggest thing is making something that someone really loves. There are so many niches in this hobby. My thing is a little bit of DIY tube audio. However, even custom logos are possible with the tools I am working with lately.

In order to make it feasible to have a "little" online business. Some standard knobs would be cool. I will learn more about what people want as I go. Custom requests are welcome. I can build the stuff, see how people like it. lol

for custom logos, are there particular formats of artwork you can accept? PDF, JPG, TIF, etc?

All the bitmaps formats are fine, tif, bmp, jpg, gif, etc.
To cut something out of veneer, it has to be a vector format. Converting bitmap to vectors like tif to corel, or illustrator would require that the image be black and white only.

I have some tools that convert PDF, but getting a regular black and white bitmap is easier.

Cigar Pen!

I thought you guys might get tired of looking at my audio knobs.
Here is a cigar pen I turned today out of walnut. I modified the pen kit to be able to round the end of the pen like a real cigar. I then super glued a DIME BANK cigar label to the wood. I finished it with 20 coats of super glue, then sanded and polished it. Yes the glue is right over the top of the band. Completely sealed.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.