• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

AK4490 USB Dac with dsd support.

Do you have an image or model number from your website for the XLR discrete ouput stage? I'm also guessing that I can add at SE output by connecting the XLR Out+ pin to a RCA connector?

Also your website shows output stage optimized for PCM or DSD. Is this discrete output stage compatible with both PCM and DSD or I'll have to select one?

Finally does your DAC has selectable filter, or just a default one?

Thanks

SB

Sent from my iPad

The (XLR+SE) discrete output stage consists of 6 discrete opamps. 4 are buffering the balanced outputl ines from the dac. 2 are properly summing for the SE output. They pick up the signal directly from the dac balanced output lines so there is never more than one amplifier inserted in the chain.

All this in the present version. What is under prsparation I don't know.

Ciao, George

A copy from the documentation:
(From the description of the discrete output stage)
"Output stage filter set to PCM"

This is all what I can get.. We have to organize, but I can measure it, too.
I think this is a question that needs the intervention of Sonny..
Anyway, it works and sounds perfectly with DSD 256, with HQplayer.
Perceivably better than with the best PCM settings.

Ciao, G

Hi Algar and Joseph.

I am more or less back on the keyboard again after i had a accident at the Münich show on the stairs and broke my left arm. But now i can use both my hands on the computer again, so hey it is not that bad.

The discrete board is configured as a 2. order low pass filter with a corner frequency of ~96KHz.

It is the one that normally is used for PCM, but it is also the one that gives the least amount of phase shift in the Audible range. (DSD Filter is 3. order -> So naturally more phase shift)

Concern could be more switching noise on the output, but when running in DSD the DAC chip AK4490 inserts an extra low pass filter of 50KHz or 100KHz. And the noise on the out is a low lower.

This filter pretty good and does not need to be changed.

The discrete outputstage also does match most peoples taste. The combination of JFET input devices and good BJT transistor combined with thin film resistors and PPS capacitors is really good.

Output impedance is 10Ohm mainly set by a 10Ohm resistor. It is to isolate the output stage from capacitive loading.

If running the discrete output stage into an RCA single-ended You have to use the summing output as Joseph point out. If anyone tries to short one of the XLR outputs to GND (to be able to run in single ended) for a longer period of time, they would most likely destroy the outputstage. It is unwise.

BR

Sonny

Hi Algar and Joseph.

I am more or less back on the keyboard again after i had a accident at the Münich show on the stairs and broke my left arm. But now i can use both my hands on the computer again, so hey it is not that bad.

The discrete board is configured as a 2. order low pass filter with a corner frequency of ~96KHz.

It is the one that normally is used for PCM, but it is also the one that gives the least amount of phase shift in the Audible range. (DSD Filter is 3. order -> So naturally more phase shift)

Concern could be more switching noise on the output, but when running in DSD the DAC chip AK4490 inserts an extra low pass filter of 50KHz or 100KHz. And the noise on the out is a low lower.

This filter pretty good and does not need to be changed.

The discrete outputstage also does match most peoples taste. The combination of JFET input devices and good BJT transistor combined with thin film resistors and PPS capacitors is really good.

Output impedance is 10Ohm mainly set by a 10Ohm resistor. It is to isolate the output stage from capacitive loading.

If running the discrete output stage into an RCA single-ended You have to use the summing output as Joseph point out. If anyone tries to short one of the XLR outputs to GND (to be able to run in single ended) for a longer period of time, they would most likely destroy the outputstage. It is unwise.

BR

Sonny
God bedring - and take care. Per

Simple frontpanel schematic

I have attached the schematic for the simple front panel.

It has two 7 segment display showing channel, filter, and momentary volume level.

7 segment is blue led.

It has a connector for an I2C motor driver from Sparkfun called ROB-13911 (Connector J2)

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13911

The motor driver is for example a Alps potmeter with motor.

There is a connector for an encoder (Connector J7), extra 10 pol header for controlling a SPI or I2C unit (Connector J7).

Connector for an IR receiver (Connector J1).

Schematic is attached

BR

Sonny

Attachments

• simple frontpanel.pdf
    54.1 KB · Views: 135
Early bird
Including simple front panel + ADA4898 SE output board 326€ + shipping.
Including simple front panel + discrete XLR output board 425€ + shipping.

OleBull - Paid
Aboe (Mainboard with simple frontpanel and discrete outputstage)
Ryssen - Paid
Polytec (Mainboard with simple frontpanel and discrete outputstage)
CaféNoir (Mainboard with simple frontpanel and discrete outputstage) - Paid
Niels Grunnet (Mainboard with simple frontpanel and discrete outputstage)
Ravid
malarkey (Including simple front panel + ADA4898 SE output board) - Paid
algar_emi (Including simple front panel + discrete XLR output board)

Please fill free to update in this list

Hi guys and girls.

last year i had a sales that did go wrong for me. So i ended up having a lot of Gain modules in stock. It was not ment to be sold through DIY but i will now.

Now Aboe has tried it. And it is better... More nirvana so to speak.

Maybe Aboe can share some light on what he thinks of the sound.

So i have decided to sell the gainmodules on a daughterboard to set on top of my dac.

The daughterboard can be assembled with 2 or 4 gainmodules depending on if you want to go SE or Balanced.

The gainmodules cost 80€ / pcs but i will find a very good price on the daughterboard as the most expensive parts on that is mill-max sockets.

We have around 60 pcs in stock of the gain modules.

BR

Sonny

Aboe is going to post a picture of his setup.

Now the board he is using, is only a tester, so it does not have the right connectors. The board i ship is a 100% dropin replacement for the discrete output board. Except that is missing the 2 pcs of 2 pin KK grid molex connectors for the SE output.

In that case if someone only needs SE output they just need to use the pin 1 and 2 on the 3 pin molex connector.

I have in the meantime calculated on the price of it.

In SE mode (2 modules + daugtherboard) : 2 x 80€ + 20€ => 180€

in XLR mode (4 modules + daughterboard) : 4 x 80€ + 0€ => 320€

That is correct: The daughterboard cost approx. 120€ to produce, but for SE it will be sold for 20€ and for XLR it will be free.

BR

Sonny

35888af9d92f6ce311769db5114a1cb5.jpg

34377d97896e1e6aa8e8b1f3d3e3d3c1.jpg

We Got the new boards today. Version number is changed to 1.2. I know they are not black. But it is not practical because the traces on the PCB will be invisible.

Now they only need to be stuffed into the production run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all

I had the honor to test the other discrete output-panel from Sonny, and I can say - He won't get it back ;-)
It's really transparent and full of musicality. At first it was almost to transparency, but after some hours burn-in, it become more softly, but still very transparent.

Cheers

aboe

Last edited: