• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Sonore Async USB-I2S interface with onboard OSF

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sonore Async USB-I2S, DXD/DSD interface with onboard OSF

Hey folks, I wanted to introduce the new USB-I2S interface for DIY DACs from Sonore.

Features:

44.1-384 kHz capable
DSD 64 and 128 via DoP (4x and 8x DSD may be possible via ASIO native)
Asynchronous USB operation
Complete galvanic isolation from the serving computer
Ultra low phase noise oscillators: Crystek CCHD 957 Series
Output on micro BNC connectors for u.fl cables, and solder pads for direct wiring.
I2S and DSD output multiplexed to suit ESS based DACs
Advanced, onboard 8x oversampling filter using proprietary digital filters
Sonore-USB-1000a.png

For ordering details go here:

SONORE USB Interface

And of course, further discussion is encouraged here.

Last edited:
Excellent product!
Now Amanero has a real challenger.
I think I first saw it in computeraudiophile forum.

I like the way you place the isolators in between USB Receiver IC and FPGA, much better than the usual post-FPGA/CPLD isolation practice.

Would you consider to release a lower cost version by replacing the pricey Crystek XOs to other XOs like NZ2520SD? It will make it more reachable to most diyer.

Thanks...

for the kind words rredline.
This interface was borne out of frustration, as a USB interface with the performance and features we wanted for our Buffalo DACs was just not available.
Because Sonore already had a technology partner with the experience and skill to develop such an interface, we went ahead and developed it. Affordability was not part of the design brief: our goal was to produce the best performing interface which we could, first, for our own DACs. Then, we figured there would probably be some no compromise style DIYers who might be interested as well, so we decided to make some available for sale.
Yeah, we are aware of NDKs which have real world phase noise very similar to what the Crystek CCHD Series offer, but availability of the NDKs is a little trickier (yes it can be done) and our builder already had a supply chain inplace for the Crysteks.
Replacing the Crysteks with NDKs would not really make a big difference in the end cost anyway, maybe $20 USD less at most. Other parts on the board add up, and the development costs of all the specialized code have to be considered as well. Considering that the parts costs for this board is quite a bit higher than that for, say, a Buffalo DAC, I think the price is very reasonable.
In the end, the cost is what it is. Sonore is not making much at this price, and there are already a fair number of other options on the market if price is a more important concern than ultimate performance.

Last edited:
Drivers...

The Sonore USB interface is USB Class II audio compliant so no drivers needed on OSX and Linux, personally I never use Windows for audio, but of course there is a Windows driver available for those using Windows. I believe the product page at Sonore.us should have the info on drivers and a link, if it does not, please contact Sonore directly and Jesus can provide the info which you need.

DSD-PCM

pinno: Yes. This interface was designed to suit the B-IIIse (and the B-II is the same, the B-III needs to have the jumpers configured the B-II way to multiplex DSD/PCM). So you can switch between DSD and PCM without the need for any relays or switches (yuk) in the I2S signal path, just 3 (or 4 for synchronous clocking) short U.FL cables.

Oscillators are the excellent Crystek CCHD 957 at 45.1584M and 49.152M, very low phase noise.

Last edited:
Congratulations Barrows and Sonore. This looks I like a no compromise solution using some nice components. A couple of questions:

Dual mono? Is it possible to fit a extra set of u.fl sockets, perhaps to the underside?

Has anyone compared the sound to waveio > Ian's FIFO project > bufallo? This is my current setup. Clearly there are some advantages here in terms of reduction in the number of power supplies, dedicated i2s interface (rather than inclusion of spdif too) and reduction in length of i2s signal path (and the associated number of joints) but wondering how any improvements actually manifest themselves.

Cheers
Crom

Sonore USB

Congratulations Barrows and Sonore. This looks I like a no compromise solution using some nice components. A couple of questions:

Dual mono? Is it possible to fit a extra set of u.fl sockets, perhaps to the underside?

Has anyone compared the sound to waveio > Ian's FIFO project > bufallo? This is my current setup. Clearly there are some advantages here in terms of reduction in the number of power supplies, dedicated i2s interface (rather than inclusion of spdif too) and reduction in length of i2s signal path (and the associated number of joints) but wondering how any improvements actually manifest themselves.

Cheers
Crom

answers:

1. No

2. This would have to be answered by a user comparing both approaches. Theoretically, the Sonore USB should be better for the reasons which you state. And, of course, the Wave IO/Ian FIFO approach does offer the much improved 8x OSF present on the Sonore USB board.

Sonore USB

Hi barrows,

I Emailed esonorejr@gmail.com twice last week asking for some more information.
No reply as yet.
I was asking -
Is there a manual ?
What is the pin out for J15 ?
Software updates via USB DFU ?
Availability ?
Shipping to the UK is rather expensive at $69. Is there a cheaper option ?

Cheers.
Dean.

1. No there is no manual, use of the interface is fairly simple and I think one can easily find answers to any questions in the threads either here or at audio circle. I will continue to answer any questions which come up as I can.
2. J15 is a jtag interface for programming the FPGA, are you suggesting that you want access to programming the FPGA yourself with other code?
3. I am not sure if updates via USB are going to be possible, but I think they will be. At this point we do not have any firmware changes in mind.
4. Availability and shipping/pricing questions all need to be answered by Jesus, usually he is pretty good with e-mail, but I will check with him on your inquiries.

Sorry for the confusion

Thanks for the information.

I was thinking about software updates in respect to the KNOWN ISSUES

PCM and DSD LEDs are not working
11.2 MHz (DSD256) - native (via ASIO) pending verification
22.5 MHz (DSD512) - native (via ASIO) pending verification

Currently there are no "known issues". All units shipped to customers have DSD/PCM LEDs working. Pending verification means that no one has yet tried to play back native DSD at those rates: it should work using native DSD and ASIO, so it is not an issue, it is just that no user has checked this.
I myself use Linux, and DoP for playback of DSD 64 and 128 and have no use for higher rates...
I will ask Jesus to update the Sonore USB webpage.

Currently there are no "known issues". All units shipped to customers have DSD/PCM LEDs working. Pending verification means that no one has yet tried to play back native DSD at those rates: it should work using native DSD and ASIO, so it is not an issue, it is just that no user has checked this.
I myself use Linux, and DoP for playback of DSD 64 and 128 and have no use for higher rates...
I will ask Jesus to update the Sonore USB webpage.

hi barrows/vortecjr. is it still available for buying? I tried to buy online but it is showing out of stock. Thanks.:confused:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.