• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 KHz

Fair enough, its targeted at a more purist audiophile application. It's a conscious decision and I have no problem with that. :)
For me personally a stripped down bare bones version with a Pi form factor would have been preferable but everyone has his own opinion and as a designer it's impossible to please everyone.
Is it mounted up side down on the Pi?
I'm trying to figure out how to make it fit...

Fair enough, its targeted at a more purist audiophile application. It's a conscious decision and I have no problem with that. :)
For me personally a stripped down bare bones version with a Pi form factor would have been preferable but everyone has his own opinion and as a designer it's impossible to please everyone.
Is it mounted up side down on the Pi?
I'm trying to figure out how to make it fit...

Soekris R-2R is for audiophile use, there are plenty of cheap, small and simple DAC's out there.... The idea for the dam1231 is to make an Audio player with great sound.

The board is not mounted upside down, again, it is to match the Audiophonics cases, see pictures on their website.

My eyes must be messing with me, I just don't see the obvious cases? I did see their solution with a HDMI extension adapter.
It doesn't matter anyway. Knowing that the component side is up was all I needed.
My wife told me she wanted a Nintendo NES Classic Mini, my task is to deliver it...
My personal goal is the best sound possible. We both like to stream movies and tv shows and the Pi can do it all. :)

Esteban, that looks great, thanks for posting.

Just curious what power supply you're using for your dam1021 boards? I'm assuming it's one PSU connecting all three dam1021s in parallel? Or maybe there's three discrete power supplies crammed in there?

I made three PS of 12 volts, the bigger is for +rails of DAC the other two, one is for the nanoDigi, and one is for the negative rails.

I have some Hum but with high sensitive LSpeaker is obvious. I plan in make a separate PS.

Relative to the use of transformer, the impedance of charge of the RAW output is the reflected from the secondary, in this case the first watt J2 has 47K + 47K. The relation of transformation I chose was 1:2. So the load for the RAW is 47k.
With this balanced output is louder than the previously tried of unbalanced.
Obviously I could use the balanced output with IC, I will try later. The simple the better.
Thanks for your words gentlemen, the sound is amazing. I was using until this moment a Wolfson four DAC, this is superior at all.
Next step is wait for make the filters inside the Soekris Boards and use I2S input.

Sœren > I think I remember you mentioning that the 1231 will have GPIO pass through for the Pi. (Or did I just dream this?) And I apologize if this has been covered in the past, my memory is pretty shot. Have you included any extra functionality for the 1231/Pi combo, like a power off function with a header to connect a power button? As long as the GPIO is accessible you can always fix such a thing yourself but it would be a cool bonus feature if it was already included. :)
And about the volume control, the Pi has internal volume control and the dam1231 also has it's own. How is this intended to work together? I have a fair grasp of how the dam works on it's own but once you hook it up to the Pi it becomes a different animal. And the IR remote control, will one be using the Pi for that or have you added something to the dam for that?
I'm sorry if I'm flooding you with questions, all of them will be answered I'm sure, as soon as the 1231 is released and there is a manual for it. I'm just trying to have these things sorted out so I can hit the ground running once it's released. :)
Feel free to just say "it'll be in the manual..."

P.S. After some digging, I did find a pretty neat case at audiophonics.

Hi,

my DAM1021 used to work with Amanero USB card thru I2S. Today when I try to use RPI3 to connect to DAM1021 thru I2S, some smoke come out around D3 area but not sure which chip was burned as I removed the cable immediately. When I re-connect the DAC to Amanero, it can't detect any I2S signal but it is still working using SPDIF signal. I think I may burn my I2S channel when tried to power it with 3.3v source. So I want to know what is D3 on the DAM? How to detect I2S is working or not? or just the power source? Thanks in advance for any assistance.

So, I finally sat down and looked through the previous posts about the dam1231, the ones I could find anyway. And I found answers to most of my questions, please correct me if I'm wrong.
1) RPi powered by dam1231 ->Power management = controlled soft shutdown button, no "hard shutdown". For a hard shutdown I'll have to build my own circuit.
2) IR receiver will have a header on the dam1231. For full remote functionality the firmware will need special care. Volume, Input selector, power for the dam1231 and pass through commands to the RPi's GUI?
3) The RPi can control everything over the serial port but someone will have to write the code. We will need a thorough manual to write the code for this.
4) Custom firmware will be coming for the dam1231 but specific RPi functions are not a priority. As long as the functions for the IR remote is cared for and you can program the display as usual for a RPi, the rest seems pretty similar to the dam1021.
5) Btw, what is considered high enough impedance if I would like to drive a pair of headphones from the regular output of the dam1231?

A last question on the layout of the dam1231. From the pdf and comparing it with RaspTouch case found at audiophonics.fr.
J6 appear to be the DC plug. (Precut hole in the audiophonics cases.)
J4 & J5 RCA output connectors. (Precut holes...)
But what are U26 and J3?

I'm so looking forward to the release of the dam1231, the waiting is killing me. (But I'd rather wait for perfection than having a quick rush job.)

P.S. I really tried doing my homework since I don't like coming across as a ungrateful consumer who want's everything on a silver platter.

Lessloss dac. More pics.
5500$
9.jpg

Please dont discuss the sdcard transport at about 100k$ they actually review :)
6moons audioreviews: LessLoss Laminar Streamer & Echo's End

Yes, they are true snakeoil bricks.

6moons audioreviews: LessLoss Firewall

PHEW.....!!! Had to come up for air reading that guy! For someone whose first language is probably not English he's......wordy.

Sloppy too. Mis-identifies the 1021 as an 1121.

Sloppy work, too, by Lessloss in some areas - not sure all the 'lessloss' implied by those magic bricks isn't undone by those excessively long I2S cables. Or maybe they're 'special' too - could have missed that amongst all the verbiage... when I came up for air.

I'm always happy when reading positive reviews of products using my dac modules.... It was positive, right ?? Had trouble finding the core meaning....

But those firewall modules, I have a different view on what a firewall is after manufacturing a couple of hundred thousand computer firewall boards.... Maybe I should hire a comedian to come up with something special so I can sell my products at ten times what I'm selling them for now....

Naah, I'm just an engineer, will just do some good engineering and do a nice series of new R-2R sign magnitude DAC's incorporating all the technology I have developed over the last two and a half years....

And don't worry, I'm not forgetting the DIY's, soon the dam1231 RPi version will ship, and more stuff will come later....

I loved how they tried to portray their DACs inability to switch sources (stemming from them being too lazy to implement anything more than Soren's (otherwise fine) automatic source selection) as something positive.

That is the hallmark of an unbiased review. :p

6moons has always been a joke of a review site to anyone with even basic understanding of audio engineering. But it is one of the "go-to" places if you want your "hi-end" gear to sell.

Naah, I'm just an engineer, will just do some good engineering and do a nice series of new R-2R sign magnitude DAC's incorporating all the technology I have developed over the last two and a half years...

How feasible would it be to put a second STM32 onboard the 1121 - ICSP accessible by the end-user - with a similar concept to the 1231, i.e IR header, SDA/SCK header for display and a few more GPIO's for other stuff?

And more. Highresaudio.com is about to close MQA material
Me 2. Aplogise for OT.
Breaking News: HIGHRESAUDIO to stop offering MQA. Proprietary system solutions and licensing models aren't what customers want. MQA is NOT lossless, the original signal is never recovered, estimate to recover at most 17bits (reduces the sampling rate), reduces the frequency range, SNR reduced by 3bit, aliasing with artifacts at 18kHz. MQA encoding filters manipulate drastically the original source. No analysis tools are available to verify the encoded MQA content. Therefore no quality control is possible. highresaudio.com stands for offering purity, original mastering source, none manipulated, tweaked or up-sampled content and codecs that are widely supported and offer use of freedom.
"We hope that MQA will adjust all the above issues. We are truly disappointed, the way MQA has progressed in the past year. We have been mislead and blinded by trust and promises."

I want to create my new DAC and i chose from tda1541 and Soecris.
In this R2R dac module i like, that i need only 1 tube+ouput transformer.
In tda1541 i need additional I/V, second tube, second transformer between tubes - it brings additional distorsion and have big price.

I read some links with technical description and can not see answers for 2 my questions-
-can i turn off all upsampling? i dont want upsample (i use 44kHz files only)
-can i turn off all filtres? output transformer will be my filter at high freq.