• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 KHz

Søren: Thank you for the update. That is all fantastic news!

I noticed that your R2R DAC module is listed only on your European web site, and not on the USA site. Adding one into the cart then shows shipping to USA of about 85 Euros ($105). That is VERY expensive for shipping a small board. I sell a small board product (a DC-conversion/Linear Fan Controller Kit for Apple Mac minis) and ship them all over the world via post for $23. Even a big 7kg box I can ship anywhere for less than $90.
So please consider either shipment from your California office or offering delivery via postal service.

Happy New Year!
Alex C.
UpTone Audio LLC

As I said: "The webshops are preparing to take orders." So expect the US webshop to come up too....

Hej Søren..

Will the initial firmware include (from post#34) ?

Volume control:

First plan is to just take a std potentiometer and connect to a ADC port on the STM32F030 uC, convert to digital and feed to the FPGA. An encoder is a possibility, GPIO bits are available on a connector, just a question of firmware. Serial port is also available, will be used for control and firmware updates.

Have please two questions :

Does a device like a Squeezebox which has a digital volume control embeded loose its bits resolution when used a remote volume control ? So better to use it at 100% and an external digital control as described above in the range of the extra bits provided by the Soekri's ladder DAC device ? Does an isolation by a traffo is advised if spidf is choosed (my understanding is the isolator of the DAC are for I2S inputs only) ?

Is it valid to use a limited 24/96 spidf if material is mostly RED BOOK (16/44) non oversampled ?(OT this one: sorry)

Last edited:

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Have please two questions :

Does a device like a Squeezebox which has a digital volume control embeded loose its bits resolution when used a remote volume control ? So better to use it at 100% and an external digital control as described above in the range of the extra bits provided by the Soekri's ladder DAC device ?

Does an isolation by a traffo is advised if spidf is choosed (my understanding is the isolator of the DAC are for I2S inputs only) ?

Yes, and

probably yes.

//

Hi Søren,

I have a few of questions for you:

1) Do the units come pre-assembled or will it be up to us to solder?
2) Is a metal enclosure or case available for the unit?
3) Any chance for a http interface or will that be another DIY project?

Thanks very much for developing these units! I have used the Soekris routers in the past and they are among my favorites. All the best, Søren!

did you feed your HD-650's straight out of the onboard outputs (using the digital volume control) or did you go through an amp?

The basis R-2R network has an output voltage of 1.4V RMS and output impedance of 625 ohm and can therefore drive a lot of things directly. There is also onboard balanced output drivers that can drive high impedance (>= 300 ohm) headphones directly.
[taken from the website]

Can someone tell me how good this DAC sounds? I just don't understand, I thought DAC's were a perfected technology....

I can see myself with a couple if they prove to be more than high specs.

Will higher quality Nichicon OSCONS fit?

Why higher quality ? Do you really believe than the Panasonic SEPC will give a better quality ! Not necessairly ! SEPC can give sometimes a dry sterile sound when used as PS powercap on a DAC...

I would have prefered vias to have the possibility to swap the smd can caps and here before launching the GB I would had benchmarked the caps with :

the lesser quality OSCON SEP instead the SEPC tou seem to refer. When not 16 V cap I would have tested Nichicon PLE (6.5 V max) and everywhere the well balanced UnitedChemiCon PSA serie. But after all maybe the CL serie choosed are good as well (I mean not only by spec but also with the subjective SQ listen to controll ?!)

That's the problem when you just look at the scope, sometimes on the paper a less good solution can be more musical. This is Force & Sense ; at the end of Star War Luck put off the glasses and shot the targett with the Force without the datas on him glasses screen: it makes sense no ?

So your risk and your money as Esgigt said cleverly (wisely?). You can be sure the scopes results are perfect as Soren seems to be a good enginer and not a new bird of the year: all its process management is impressive from the white copy to the suppliers management but it can not give you a certitude but this one : the DAC sould be very clear (transparent resolution) with a certain softness non fatiguing (we hope) due to the jitter proof design and ladder design. But it will never give you any proof about the sound quality as mainly the result of a good dac is the tonal balance like any device. I

But hey : it can be EQ from inside, no ? So I will take the risk to buy it : it is an important amount for me while staying cheap for such designs. My only regret is no vias for the few caps and maybe on some rare places : no PPS or acrylic smt caps instead X7R in spite of a greater foot print. But who am I'm,not a technician after all ! And here all the mounting surface process are also here to lower the cost and make it in semi-industrial quantity as well !

Bravo Soren, take your time, controll the quality, take more time to listen to it without the sheinezer headphones, the dac will arrive to us when it will arrive :) .Thank you to share your design, I hope it will permitt you ti have founds with bankeers to launch your brand for audio with this product if its your final goal. Which is good.

Last edited:
I don't like this serie, but have to try the RN range in it (do you mean all the "red" FP caps ?) which CL Soekris choosed seems near in the ESR datas !

I found ESR is never a promess of good sound.

For me the FP caps have always a too soft sound with a lacke of bass : subjective of course : must be tested in each design : its not universal, caps have not sound on their own. But two caps with the same ESR and ESL can sound different from a manufacturor to an other. I find like some others polymer UCC PSA serie give good subjective result everywhere still sometimes can be beaten in some particular situation by other reference like older one (Old semi organic OSCON-SP, Nichicon PLE, new Panasonic SEP, sometimes SEPC/F, etc... have tried a lot if not all but just on the Subbu V3... and of course there is some biased as the controll listening is not ABX (but my family) and only on my system of course).