• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 KHz

I asked many times how should be the connection between a commercial USB to Spdif converter (like Brezee audio) what has already an output traffo with its spidf.
This schematic is based on the info pieces you gave me. So, please don't say " if people want to do other things then they're on their own...."!
Look at posts:

Last edited:
I asked many times how should be the connection between a commercial USB to Spdif converter (like Brezee audio) what has already an output traffo with its spidf.
This schematic is based on the info pieces you gave. So, please don't say " if people want to do other things then they're on their own...."!

I'm sorry, I will answer question about other most things, but I just don't have time to do all kind of drawings....

I understand, but without this info I can not test what I bought from you.

What is the "strategy" if the commercial has already an output traffo with its spidf ? We keep just the 330 ohms shunt and the 1.2 V PS layout ?
Your answer was:
You can then connect it GND to GND, Signal to where the trafo + connects, but with a series capacitors, any value around 0.1 uF.
The important when using the LVDS receiver is that it need to be biased around 1.25V as the common mode input range is 0-2.5V.
So, my drawing is based on this. What is not correct in the drawing?

Last edited:
This schematic is based on the info pieces you gave me. So, please don't say " if people want to do other things then they're on their own...."!

You should be able to anwer the easy questions yourself just searching the thread and reading a bit what people write instead of yelling at Soren and bombarding the thread with your questions.
It has been answered on the thread and has been posted elsewhere --> https://hifiduino.wordpress.com/2015/01/30/building-soekris-r-2r-dac/ !

You should be able to anwer the easy questions yourself just searching the thread and reading a bit what people write instead of yelling at Soren and bombarding the thread with your questions.
It has been answered on the thread and has been posted elsewhere --> https://hifiduino.wordpress.com/2015...kris-r-2r-dac/ !
Thank you!
I am not yelling and bombarding at nobody! I only dared to ask. Sorry, I don't have any users manual....
Please show me where is the exact answer to my question?!?
How to connect the DAC to a commercial USB to Spdif converter (like Brezee audio) what has already an output traffo with its spidf????

Thank you!
I am not yelling and bombarding at nobody! I only dared to ask. Sorry, I don't have any users manual....
Please show me where is the exact answer to my question?!?
How to connect the DAC to a commercial USB to Spdif converter (like Brezee audio) what has already an output traffo with its spidf????

The manual will only have the same drawings I already posted.

And to repeat: There is no harm in having two transformers.

Yes did power cycle. Program settings seems ok.
Also tried Hyperterminal - also with recommended settings, still no luck.

Will look into other serial adapters when I have the chance.

Hyperterminal can be downloaded here :
http://digitizor.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/hyperterminal1.zip

From this site:
Install HyperTerminal Client on Windows 7 or Vista [FREE]

Sorry about the other post earlier. Tired early morning :rolleyes:

This is the usb-rs232 adapter I try to use.
SYBAUSA - SD-USB-S >> USB to Serial Adapter

Tried with different pc's. Driver installed ok and com ports ok.
No luck connecting to the dam1021.
Used the "description" from this blog.

The right pins. Measured connections ok.
No luck connecting.

Attachments

• soekris_rs232.PNG
    soekris_rs232.PNG
    55.6 KB · Views: 753
Sorry about the other post earlier. Tired early morning :rolleyes:

This is the usb-rs232 adapter I try to use.
SYBAUSA - SD-USB-S >> USB to Serial Adapter

Tried with different pc's. Driver installed ok and com ports ok.
No luck connecting to the dam1021.
Used the "description" from this blog.

The right pins. Measured connections ok.
No luck connecting.

Remember no flow control, hardware or software. Your settings have hardware flow control enabled....

Not that practical, would require > 3000 taps, and the intermediate frequency is good to have for the CD de-emphasis and crossover filters.

I have choosen 352K/384K as a good compromise for the intermediate rate, so there is space for enough IIR filters for crossover use and room correction. If you go up you get less IIR filters. # filters = 45M/49M divided with intermediate rate divided with 8 = 16.

The FIR2 filter don't require much, I'm looking into doing a bessel or butterworth type filter there.

The intermediate frequency is an explicit parameter in the filter-file. Is it possible to use other intermediate frequencies than 352K/384K?

Is the FIR1 IIR FIR2 sequence mandatory (or could something like FIR1 IIR1 FIR2 IIR2 FIR3, or FIR0 FIR1 IIR FIR2 be used)?

Hi Søren. I'm working on ideas for a stackable plug-in board for the DAC and I see the HiFiduino article includes a mechanical drawing of the board mounting, output socketry etc. Would it be possible to provide additional information to detail the positions of J1, J2 and J3?

Many thanks.

Ray

Søren, maybe my post got lost as the threads remain very active but would be grateful for a mechanical drawing showing the location of the headers. Thanks.

Ray

Well - made up a spdif input (with AN spdif toroid transformer) :) according to schematics posted earlier.
Test with unbuffered outputs - into a DCB1 unity gain preamp.

It is alive. Too early to say anything about sound quality but I can sure tell you:
Its got potential :D

Beautyful intital layout.

Must look more into the "connectotoumanager" problem I have...

Attachments

• soe1.jpg
    soe1.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 689
Last edited:
When I looked at rePhase I didn't see any "intermediate phase" setting ? Or how to combine ? I would be nice if I don't have to mess with the SoX source code....

You don't need to worry about saturation, the filters coefficients floats are converted to 2.30 fixed format.

Hi Soren,

You can either combine several filters, minimum-phase and linear-phase, possibly at different frequencies (spread the poles), or you can generate a linear-phase filter and then partially linearize its phase with the "phase linearization" tab.
I will try to post e few examples tonight.

As for the saturation, I was not worried about the coefficients themselves, but the result of the convolution: even it the resulting amplitude curve does not exceed 0dB you can still get saturation because of the phase shifts.