Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 Khz - Page 64 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th December 2014, 03:40 PM   #631
Geekey is offline Geekey  Europe
diyAudio Member

Soekris could you please address the questions I recently asked .

1. In case I am not going to use DAC’s internal analog output stage , is it possible to power the rest of DAC’s circuit with just one single secondary winding of the transformer, or I still need two secondarys.

2. There was unanswered question[post #50] about how to disconnect the unused onboard analog output section.

3. And what about availability of the remote control for this dac.
Will you provide or offer one?

Last edited by Geekey; 5th December 2014 at 03:43 PM.
Old 5th December 2014, 05:31 PM   #632
Eldam is offline Eldam  France
Banned

Please Budha, if the sound can be heard where you live without air and forgett what I'm going to write as the wisdom is far from me : so please give me your pardon !

Answers

1: You will know all the détails as a single secondary or a double one is a detail !

2: two outputs : a single ended or a symetric :connect where you need it !

3: TOTALDAC prices

3 bis : TOTALDAC prices

Sorry can't resist ! Hey maybe you will never receive the dac as this is a Madof plan at this price... but in case of doubt: go to answer number 3 for a better serviceplease

Last edited by Eldam; 5th December 2014 at 05:34 PM.
Old 5th December 2014, 05:45 PM   #633
TNT is offline TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Eldam, you don't make any sense. Google translate?

//
Old 5th December 2014, 05:48 PM   #634
Banned

Yes , sorry, here the translation : TOTALDAC prices

don't have link to translate in USD !
Old 5th December 2014, 05:49 PM   #635
diyAudio Member

I was think more your language...

//
Old 5th December 2014, 05:52 PM   #636
Banned

Ah, you mean it doesnt make any sense....

I'm sure you understood ! : numbers are universal....

I was thinking on a more accurate translation without injures :

Please Budha, if you can hear me where you live in a place whitout air to transport the vibration of sound about what I'm talking about : "I beg your pardon for what I'm going to say as the wisdom seems to be a very long way totry to keep the silence" :

Answers :

1) pfffff, it's very not important, the price of a traffo with one secondary or two is the same but if I would have the answer I give you with pleasure but have not !
2) oups, I have myself asked something very similar, it seems you can hack easily the SE output as there is a connector. No traces to cut !
3) you are very focused on the delay of Soekris's answering but he "offers" to us a good development at a friendly price and if you want have a better service pay the price in a commercial company like Total DAC

Better translation

Last edited by Eldam; 5th December 2014 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Advertising : any good translator ?
Old 5th December 2014, 06:37 PM   #637
diyAudio Member

"without injures" :-D

Jepp, its ok

//
Old 5th December 2014, 08:06 PM   #638
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea_mori View Post
There is no difference in monotonicity between sign magnitude and other notation. Using 0.01 ladder resistors you can reach 13 bit precision (2^13 = 8192 - 1/8192 * 100 = 0,012%).
There is no "window" that change math analysis due to sign magnitude. When the 14th bit and upper bits switch, the precision decreases.
Using dual ladder you are doubling the error, that's the reason BB used a single ladder in its PCM1704.
Andrea, can you explain a bit more to me? I am not very technically math oriented.
Perhaps I should not have referred to the monotonicity, but still I believe there is significant benefit to sign-magnitude style in that the MSBs are not constantly switching. Otherwise 0.01% resistors would be nowhere near good enough for the first 4-5 MSBs.

And to quote what Soren said: "The DAC will not be be monotonic down to more than maybe 14 bits, but thanks to the sign magnitude principle those 14 bits will still be there at the -60 db level, and it will be level linear down to the last bit, way below noise…."

But what I don't understand about what you said Andrea is about use of a "dual ladder" on this board versus how it is done in PCM1704. On the photo of Soren's prototype board I see 4 ladders, but these cover stereo 2 channels and each pair is for +/-, sign-magnitude style. Is this not what you see? What do you see that makes you refer to it as a dual-ladder design?

Thanks in advance.
AJC
Old 5th December 2014, 09:36 PM   #639
soekris is offline soekris  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geekey View Post
Soekris could you please address the questions I recently asked .

1. In case I am not going to use DAC’s internal analog output stage , is it possible to power the rest of DAC’s circuit with just one single secondary winding of the transformer, or I still need two secondarys.

2. There was unanswered question[post #50] about how to disconnect the unused onboard analog output section.

3. And what about availability of the remote control for this dac.
Will you provide or offer one?
First, to increase the change of answers significant, turn html off in you postings....

1) The power supply have been dimensioned for a trafo with two secondary windings, but if you reduce loading by removing the output buffers it will probably work just fine with one winding.... You still need + and - supply, but one windings can provide that.

2) R-2R output before buffers is available on a connector. If you believe that the buffer somehow affect that signal, you can a) cut traces and remove power to buffers, or b) remove buffer opamps completely. I will not do custom versions (unless you order enough...), but once in full production I'll be happy to provide detailed howto's.

3) I currently have no plans to provide remote control, need to limit manpower needed, already doing too much.... But you can control the DAC over a std serial port, so maybe remote control and a display is a little diy project....
Old 5th December 2014, 09:51 PM   #640
soekris is offline soekris  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldam View Post
Please Budha, if the sound can be heard where you live without air and forgett what I'm going to write as the wisdom is far from me : so please give me your pardon !

3 bis : TOTALDAC prices

Sorry can't resist ! Hey maybe you will never receive the dac as this is a Madof plan at this price... but in case of doubt: go to answer number 3 for a better serviceplease
I'm sorry for the low prices. Maybe I should start using buzz words like "Platinum", "Signature", "Femto Clock", "Carefully tested", "Select component", "Exclusive Technologies".... And then add $100 per word used :-)

Hide this!Advertise here!