Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 Khz - Page 615 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th January 2017, 02:47 PM   #6141
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalrob View Post
Now I consider to do the same just without the LM 1084. I am thinking, that there is a regulator onboard anyway- so- wouldn't building that way, give similar or even better results?
I think the answer depends on who you ask.

The dam1021 also has onboard rectification, so you can feed it AC (in the right voltage range) straight from your transformer. Or you can power it with regulated DC, as you have done. And of course, regulators vary in their quality. You could use discrete LDOs, as you currently are. At least in terms of specs, the LT3042 looks to be one of the better LDOs currently available. And then there are countless discrete circuits, for example the highly regarded shunt power supplies by Salas... and everything in between.

Does it make a difference? I haven't personally done much in the way of comparing, but having read all of this thread, and numerous other threads over the net, and there is no shortage of subjective reports of improvements with increasing power supply quality. And if you're really concerned about power quality, you can bypass the dam1021 onboard regulators and power the specific circuits directly however you want (e.g. batteries).

The real answer is "try it and see".
Old 11th January 2017, 11:43 PM   #6142
diyAudio Member

Hi. Has anyone tried feeding dam soekris with two stacked (bipolar) LPS-1 from uptone?
Old 12th January 2017, 08:23 AM   #6143
diyAudio Member

Hi Matt_Garman!

Thanx for your opinion!

Have to admit, that I'm a little bit lazy at the moment- probably caused by unusually deep temperatures in my region;-)

I fully agree, that real insight is only to achieve by getting results out of own experiments. I will try it out and compare.

My consideration was based on the assumption, that fast rectifying and solid filtering of the demanded DC-current would make life easy enough for the following onboard-regulator circuit (that I won't cut out).

I researched the LT3042 and found, that 200mA would be too limited for solid powering of the DAM.

I personally made the experience, that a heavy transformer (2*4,2 Ampere's in my case), modern 'soft-recovery'-rectifying, ultra-stable filtering (I'm using Panasonic's FM-types- many in parallel), some ultrafast bypass-caps on both sides near the LM 1084 in synergy lead to overwhelming results.

Clean Current- as 'fast' as possible- that's my way to go;-)

One could rate this strategy as complete overkill, of course. But to me it brought beating success and pleasureful listening;-)

Greetingz, Robert

Last edited by metalrob; 12th January 2017 at 08:26 AM.
Old 12th January 2017, 09:34 AM   #6144
diyAudio Member

Here some pics of my soekris-build-up; not yet ready, but stunningly playing;-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg K1600_20160903_111136.JPG (209.0 KB, 317 views)
File Type: jpg K1600_20161008_103805.JPG (297.7 KB, 315 views)
File Type: jpg K1600_20161008_103921.JPG (333.0 KB, 316 views)
File Type: jpg K1600_20161008_104001.JPG (223.1 KB, 307 views)
Old 12th January 2017, 10:55 AM   #6145
diyAudio Member

I had to search for the Soekris in your build...there are all kinds of other wonderfulp stuf to see... looks very good.

R.
Old 12th January 2017, 11:52 AM   #6146
soekris is offline soekris  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
That is one fantastic built, probably the most impressive I've seen so far, congratulations with the work done.
Old 12th January 2017, 01:41 PM   #6147
gavinb is offline gavinb  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soekris View Post
That is one fantastic built, probably the most impressive I've seen so far, congratulations with the work done.
Soren,

Would you mind sharing a photo of you balanced dual dam1121?
Old 12th January 2017, 03:26 PM   #6148
diyAudio Member

Quote:
That looks great! Thanks for posting!

Quote:
Have to admit, that I'm a little bit lazy at the moment- probably caused by unusually deep temperatures in my region;-)
Given how much work clearly went into the build you posted, I think it's unfair to call yourself lazy.

Quote:
I researched the LT3042 and found, that 200mA would be too limited for solid powering of the DAM.
FYI, you can get more current out of the LT3042 by stringing multiples together in parallel. Check out diyAudio member opc's The Wire LT3042 Parallel Reg PSU. Another approach to get more current out of the LT3042 is to add a transistor, like the DIYINHK power supplies. That's what I happen to be using now, although I plan to change to a pair of Sigma11 supplies (actually, a custom smaller implementation of the s11 circuit, waiting on the boards to be delivered). I also have some Salas BIB power supplies, but I'm hesitant to use them due to the heat production.

I don't really expect any sound quality improvement, but I get to say it's "more DIY" using a PSU I assembled rather than a drop-in off-the-shelf module.
Old 12th January 2017, 03:50 PM   #6149
diyAudio Member

Thanx Matt_Garman for contributing to my consideration! Will check that.

Thanx to All for your kind words!

It's not ready yet- still in test-mode;-) External and also internal look will change as some circuits are getting further optimized.
But one's for sure- this thing killed my summer last year;-)

Greetingz, Robert
Old 12th January 2017, 09:05 PM   #6150
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TioFrancotirador View Post
Hi. Has anyone tried feeding dam soekris with two stacked (bipolar) LPS-1 from uptone?
I just finished an adapter to do so last night. Will try sometime this weekend or next week

Greg in Mississippi

Hide this!Advertise here!