Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 Khz - Page 601 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th November 2016, 10:46 AM   #6001
diyAudio Member

Hi, Dimdim,

Could you elaborate a bit about why a filter with 3db headroom is more desirable? Also what filter would you recommend for Soekris? Thanks.

WYAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimdim View Post
RAW SE is 1.4VRMS = ~4Vp-p

Regarding the "normal reference levels", there really isn't a standard per se.

Most DACs and CD players output 2VRMS..

Btw, the DAM's SE output of 1.4VRMS goes to ~1VRMS once we load a filter that has 3dbs of headroom (we should be using such filters IMHO..).
Old 9th November 2016, 01:15 PM   #6002
Dimdim is offline Dimdim  Greece
diyAudio Member

Paul (former diyaudio.com member) has done an excellent writeup on inter-sample clipping and its implications on the DAM. It can be found here: Back to the Future: inter-sample clipping and headroom | moreDAMfilters

I myself use the second filter from this filters pack: EQHQ variations v1 | moreDAMfilters

Beware that it is relatively old and thus not DSD compatible.. I don't really listen to DSD files so I haven't really auditioned the newer filters that are available.
Old 9th November 2016, 01:35 PM   #6003
diyAudio Member

Thanks.
Old 9th November 2016, 02:12 PM   #6004
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_garman View Post

So far I've been using a transformer with dual 15V 1A secondaries. Plenty of power.

Now I'd like to switch to a transformer with dual 15V 0.5A amp secondaries.
Thanks!
That was my first setup, 2x15V 1A and the LT3042 from DIYINHK on 12V.
Lots of heat on the LT3042 and also on the dac.

Now i use 2x9V and LT3042 on 9V, no more heat. Sounds even better (less stress).

Nice to hear Soren confirm that 9V is enough.
Old 10th November 2016, 03:05 PM   #6005
markusA is offline markusA  Sweden
diyAudio Member

One more question regarding the output.
We have the choice of the RAW SE output or a balanced one. Is there anything to gain by adding a buffer/output stage to the single ended out? Building the buffer (phase splitter?) could be fun but if it's just unnecessary or even likely to degrade the sound, then it would be a little like shooting yourself in the foot and paying for the privilege to do it.
I've been wanting to play around with tubes but I don't want to be stupid, lol. My amps have a fully differential input.
Old 10th November 2016, 03:21 PM   #6006
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markusA View Post
We have the choice of the RAW SE output or a balanced one. Is there anything to gain by adding a buffer/output stage to the single ended out? Building the buffer (phase splitter?) could be fun but if it's just unnecessary or even likely to degrade the sound, then it would be a little like shooting yourself in the foot and paying for the privilege to do it.
I've been wanting to play around with tubes but I don't want to be stupid, lol. My amps have a fully differential input.
Sounds like your setup is a good candidate for dual-mono. I run raw outputs straight to headphone buffer and amplifier, no longer using the onboard buffers.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10th November 2016, 04:22 PM   #6007
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markusA View Post
Another view - I only use the RAW output. It drives a Slagle autoformer attenuator which then drives two stereo amplifiers and an electronic crossover. It seems to drive this with ease. My speakers are very high efficiency which might make a difference.

I tried using the same buffer circuit Pass uses in the FIRST WATT buffer (with a much better power supply) and found it sounded better without the buffer in the top half of the spectrum. Conversely, it had much better defined bass.

I then moved the buffer after the attenuator into the lead that goes to the amplifier and crossover that handles 500 hz down and I am getting the good that heard from a buffer right after the DAC without harming the upper frequencies.

The raw output is robust. I think you will need to try in your system to find out what works best.
Old 10th November 2016, 04:55 PM   #6008
markusA is offline markusA  Sweden
diyAudio Member

No dual mono setup for me, too pricy and I'm not even sure there is any real benefit in this instance.
So, my idea about running a tube phase splitter isn't a complete disaster? I like the glow...
Old 10th November 2016, 05:50 PM   #6009
Dimdim is offline Dimdim  Greece
diyAudio Member

IMHO I find it hard to believe that anything tube-related will actually improve the DAM's sound..
Old 10th November 2016, 06:13 PM   #6010
TNT is offline TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Some distortion is never wrong

//

Hide this!Advertise here!