Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 Khz - Page 60 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th November 2014, 12:31 AM   #591
soekris is offline soekris  Denmark
diyAudio Member

I've read great reviews of DAC's with the DAC chip itself driven directly from a standard SPDIF receiver....

I've read great reviews of DAC's with harmonics like mine but at higher levels....

I've read great reviews of DAC's with cheap opamp's as output buffers....

I don't look at a single parameter as the holy grail, but do my best to pay attention to everything and make an affordable reference DAC. So I stand behind my design decisions, maybe after you all get the chance to play with one there might be enough useful feedback to make a successor sometime....

And its too late anyway, all parts for the first production series are at the contract manufacturer, for assembly to be done this coming week....
Old 30th November 2014, 01:37 AM   #592
diyAudio Member

LOL!

I DO like the idea of 'gilding the lily' with a better clock or reclocking scheme, but not nearly as much as I like hearing the magic words in those dulcet engineering tones '...all parts for the first production series are at the contract manufacturer, for assembly to be done this coming week....''.

Soren, you just made my weekend!!!!

Greg in Mississippi
Old 30th November 2014, 07:05 AM   #593
diyAudio Member

That's great news Soren! I know we all are looking forward to trying your thoughtful and affordable design.
I just hope that I made my reservation in time to be in the first run.
Please do be sure to e-mail everybody to let each of us know where we sit in the queue.
Thanks!
Alex.
Old 30th November 2014, 08:36 AM   #594
potstip is offline potstip  Turkey
diyAudio Member

Is there anyone planing to make and I/O connector and volume control board for soren DAC?
Old 30th November 2014, 10:13 AM   #595
esgigt is offline esgigt  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Great news Soren... looking forward to the results.
Old 30th November 2014, 08:37 PM   #596
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soekris View Post
I've read great reviews of DAC's with the DAC chip itself driven directly from a standard SPDIF receiver....

I've read great reviews of DAC's with harmonics like mine but at higher levels....

I've read great reviews of DAC's with cheap opamp's as output buffers....

I don't look at a single parameter as the holy grail, but do my best to pay attention to everything and make an affordable reference DAC. So I stand behind my design decisions, maybe after you all get the chance to play with one there might be enough useful feedback to make a successor sometime....

And its too late anyway, all parts for the first production series are at the contract manufacturer, for assembly to be done this coming week....
Great news

Is there any more detail available on interfacing with the volume control for the DAC. I'd ultimately like to have input switching and volume selectable by remote control.
Old 1st December 2014, 09:43 AM   #597
Eldam is offline Eldam  France
diyAudio Member

Hi Soekris,

Impressive work you did, thank you for sharing.

Sorry if already asked, it's ok for me if members have answers not to waste the time of Soren as he is very busy in this final launch phase :

1-Is it only I2S or as the spidf is bit perfect did you allow also foot prints for BNC plugs on the pcb

2- Is there a possibility with a vias or connector to avoid final oaps and hacking the signal on a daugther board buffer ? It is a voltage output before the first oap (no I/V conversion on a R2R ?) ?
If yes are you not afraid this last " relativly simple" last stage affect the outstanding development maid before on the digital stage ?

3- Are the actual oaps local decoupling cap are X7R ? Are you not afraid of the fhz stability of the class 2 ceramic here in the ears fhz range. Ok inductance is at its best but did you benchmark on your prototype higher foot prints smt caps (aluminium cans, pps) for those oaps? Does it change the subjective result in an ABX test ?

4- Same question for the main decoupling caps: you choosed the best in relation to the datasheet but have you tested some others caps with maybe higher ESR but which can give a total difference of sound (for the best like the worst !) ?

Or does it no affect the sound ? I understand the smt can main caps choice because of the manufacturing, but did you think of a non populated board version for those board with holes to try non smt caps ? Some polymers with leads and 2 mm pitch have 5 mohms ESR (not very often with higher voltage than 6.3 V unluckily : Nichicon PLE or FPcap R5 series, etc). Or does the main caps in the prototypes maids didn't change the subjective sound quality at all when you checked with ears ?

Sorry for two cents or if you feel it's off topic as I'm not technician at all !

Wait with impatience the first batch as I'm on the first list...just a little frightened because the ceramics caps on the final oaps in relation to the outstanding development maid before it....

Last edited by Eldam; 1st December 2014 at 09:46 AM.
Old 1st December 2014, 12:19 PM   #598
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT View Post

Reclocking after FPGA and better close in phase noise will probably be needed...

//

Absolutely. And no variable, digital PLL clocks... ime these don't sound good at all... Alas, adjustable clocks seem inherent of this concept...
Old 1st December 2014, 08:48 PM   #599
Bones13 is offline Bones13  United States
Techie Wanabe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldam View Post
Wait with impatience the first batch as I'm on the first list...just a little frightened because the ceramics caps on the final oaps in relation to the outstanding development maid before it....
Earlier in the thread, it was revealed that there is a mechanism to bypass the final op-amp section, and use whatever output option you are wanting to use.

Perhaps later versions of this DAC will have more "tweaking" options. The board would not be as small, and of course whenever you change one thing, you just want to change more.

A question though for Søren, especially now that the board is in/nearing production, is : do you have a name for your project DAC yet?
Old 2nd December 2014, 05:46 PM   #600
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones13 View Post
Earlier in the thread, it was revealed that there is a mechanism to bypass the final op-amp section, and use whatever output option you are wanting to use.

Perhaps later versions of this DAC will have more "tweaking" options. The board would not be as small, and of course whenever you change one thing, you just want to change more.

A question though for Søren, especially now that the board is in/nearing production, is : do you have a name for your project DAC yet?
You don't need to bypass anything, there is raw output straight from the resistor network, it is pure resistive load which can drive input stage of any amp/preamp with high input impedance and high sensitivity.

Hide this!Advertise here!