Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 Khz - Page 24 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd August 2014, 02:16 PM   #231
diyAudio Member

Just keep doing what you are doing, there are only a few people who are at your level who probably know more and who will give you valuable advice, most don't even read the full thread, obviously...

If you ever mention a bigger/smaller number regarding whatever people will automatically want "the best", in your case 0.01%SMD resistors, no matter that this is just a number and there are probably more important parameters about it to consider. It doesn't matter if it might as well work with 1%, just mention the damn thing and there is no going back, so better make it 0.02% or 0.01%, just forget about the 0.05% and hopefully that will give you a better discount and the price can go down a bit.

The price is good for what you offer, there is enough DIY in it, at least for me (actually too much DIY) so just push the guys and give us a link to the shop.
Old 2nd August 2014, 02:21 PM   #232
CFT is online now CFT  United States
diyAudio Member

So Søren we should hear from you how your dacs will sound like in a couple of weeks? What dacs would you benchmark yours with? Thanks!
Old 2nd August 2014, 02:56 PM   #233
esgigt is offline esgigt  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soekris View Post
I don't believe that there is any effect to sound quality when using less precise resistors in the LSB's, and selecting the 14 MSB is more a question about gut feeling, something like still having 4 MSB's at the full precision when the volume control is at -60 db.

I also believe that using 0.01% resistors (beside in the reference) is not going to affect sound quality, although it will probably measure a little better.... That's why I was originally only planning for 0.05% and 0.02% versions.
Thank you for your answer, Søren. It's clear to me now. Also I needed some assurance on the possible effects of the several tolerances on the final SQ.

I'm looking forward to the product itself!

EDIT: and the first auditive evaluations, of-course...

Last edited by esgigt; 2nd August 2014 at 02:58 PM.
Old 2nd August 2014, 04:07 PM   #234
reodds is offline reodds  United States
diyAudio Member

Søren, please let us know in this thread if you are moving to the Vendors posting section.

Thanks, and please keep up your great work!

Roger
Old 2nd August 2014, 05:18 PM   #235
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Moved to Vendors Bazaar as this thread has become more and more commercial rather than a diy project.
Old 2nd August 2014, 09:23 PM   #236
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by soekris View Post
I posted in "digital line levels", mostly to gauge interest, to check if my design was good and hopefully get some technical feedback.
Hi Søren, you know best if your product is good and if it measures and, probably more important, also sounds good. Even if members want things changed I don't see that happen as the hardware design is quite ready in your eyes (also distilled by reading your answers) except for the choice for resistor tolerance. BTW I fully endorse the opinion of Nikola Krivorov that offering choices in resistor tolerance will only lead to more wishes and more questions not to mention more work for you by keeping track of several versions to various buyers and also supporting all versions. The best DAC in the world should have the best resistors in the world . That it seems a good product that will gauge interest you can already see by the enthousiasm of potential buyers. So it is indeed a commercial endeavour/tryout and no DIY. Nothing wrong with that, please don't get a negative impression because of these comments.

The point being that technical feedback without schematic is hard and odd for a ready made module from a manufacturer. It should be either fish or flesh IMHO. You can read that people want things changed (the never ending story of output stages/opamps) as it is in a DIY thread while probably few things will be changed, if at all. I just wanted to give some tips to let this thread not derail into a "question-walhalla" and a feeling of participation in the final design which is kind of chaotic as no schematic will be given if I am not mistaking and participation is out of the question. Something that will give frustration on both sides in the end. That is why I advised on making a technical datasheet of the product concerning all technical merits and possibilities, a connection and drilling diagram and add it to the first post.

Last edited by jean-paul; 2nd August 2014 at 09:53 PM.
Old 2nd August 2014, 09:59 PM   #237
reodds is offline reodds  United States
diyAudio Member

+1 Jean-Paul, you have distilled what should have been said right after post #1. The design is really not up to discussion. Søren is obviously an excellent engineer, knows exactly what he is doing, and needs no further input from anyone.

I for one cannot wait for the kits to be produced, and buy one (or two!) as soon as possible.

Roger
Old 2nd August 2014, 10:11 PM   #238
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by reodds View Post
Søren is obviously an excellent engineer, knows exactly what he is doing, and needs no further input from anyone.
True. It strikes me he wants feedback on a, for the buyers, not yet existing product of which no schematic can be seen. A bit like discussing the road behaviour of a new Ferrari by looking at a picture of it. If technical feedback is wanted it would be better to discuss the design with engineers on equal level or disclose the schematic (a big nono if you ask me). He should not be insecure with such a nice design and skills like that. Besides that, we can not rely on anyone else than Søren and we only have 1 picture to judge the product so technical feedback is hard.

Now only if my technical skills were like my posting skills .....seriously, it is by no means meant as negative comment. We made many mistakes with the GB of our humble DIY DAC. Well you learn from them isn't it ? It is now becoming silent but there were many months in a row that I was replying emails and support questions 7 evenings a week. The question is if I would have listened to warnings/tips beforehand ...

Last edited by jean-paul; 2nd August 2014 at 10:29 PM.
Old 3rd August 2014, 12:54 AM   #239
diyAudio Member

I think we should stop any non-technical discussion from now onward. It really does not provide any useful ingredients.
Soekris has been giving many valuable technical input and we really appreciate that, let it continue that way

BTW, is there any consideration to use LME49990 on the buffer stage? Some say it is a better choice.

I saw another similar implementation from the east. No GB and not a commercial project though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg r2r resistor fpga dac.jpg (210.4 KB, 946 views)

Last edited by rredline; 3rd August 2014 at 01:01 AM.
Old 3rd August 2014, 10:34 AM   #240
tvicol is offline tvicol  Romania
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to tvicol
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean-paul View Post
... It is now becoming silent but there were many months in a row that I was replying emails and support questions 7 evenings a week. The question is if I would have listened to warnings/tips beforehand ...

Leson learned as well ...

Regards,
Tibi

Hide this!Advertise here!