• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 KHz

At some points, because Soekris has a very integrated vision of the production doesn't mean diyers not may add some not smd improvements as they did already.

Let me be clearer : Soekris, because the very good synergy of all of you and the incredible good work already made had launched a V2.

It's not impossible to him to make the life even easier to the diyers and to thanks them for the improvments to launch a v3 with some vias on the pcbs to "hack" the factory design ! e.g. : add some vias for some bigger caps or supply connection from some other supply typologies or bigger bank caps, etc ! Even 0 ohms smd straps could be thinked in this V3 to allow diyers to desolder it to tweak with reversing possibilities (add it again).

Just two cents...

Soren, if the transistor regulator mod turns out to be a big improvement, will you consider integrating it into your next revision?

I have long time ago investigated and simulated with a transistor buffer, and decided against it. One problem is that in order to get low output impedance, you need a higher load current, which consume extra power. So no.

At last! I have it! "Muzg" discrete 3.3v V3 stabilizer for clock. Looks good, tiny, small and complex, good parts! But for now i must play some music on standard zldo17 3.3v builded stabilzier to see what change. Damn im happy! for now im thinking to change bulded 5v stabiliers:)

Attachments

• SAM_1389.JPG
    SAM_1389.JPG
    526.9 KB · Views: 879
  • SAM_1390.JPG
    SAM_1390.JPG
    186.5 KB · Views: 844
At last! I have it! "Muzg" discrete 3.3v V3 stabilizer for clock. Looks good, tiny, small and complex, good parts! But for now i must play some music on standard zldo17 3.3v builded stabilzier to see what change. Damn im happy! for now im thinking to change bulded 5v stabiliers:)

It'll likely be just as effective as adding more capacitance/filtering to the current clock like others have done, except the capacitance route is far cheaper. Without a frequency counter that contains an OCXO or rubidium referenced 10mhz source you're never going to be able to compare the jitter from the stock 3.3V rail supplied clock vs any upgrades anyway.

Can you tell us how much it was?

I didn't see any prices on his blog page.

Resultats of mod is very good.Plenty of 3D sound, deeper and wider sound stage. I| have listening to Shpongle - Are You Shpongled album and i can fairly tell that it is impasible! Outstanding efects! Damn but im still thinking about next mod, i have in mind two mods:
-change builded +-5v stabilizers to MUZG's shunt mini stabilizers
-change diodes for LT4320 ideal bridge diode
Some adwice?

Input for v3 stabilizer is 12.7v dc, it is same power like we have on the soekris power input. Stabilizer is worm, but not hot. V3 stabilizer is not shunt wersion it is V3.0 – series regulator with transistor differential amplifier, NPN output, LED voltage reference, CCS bias circuit. I was consulting what stabilizer will be good for clock, and we chouse this, shunt version with 12,7 dc input and 3.3 on out will be hotier. Like the all shunts stabilzier. https://muzgdiy.wordpress.com/2015/05/18/vx-x-voltage-regulators-versions-explanation/ take a look a versions of stabilziers. I will probebly change builder 5v stabilizers for somethink better, mayby i will be shunt version. Some body added a picture with no builded stock stabilziers and has connected output power suply, but i lost it:(

Resultats of mod is very good.Plenty of 3D sound, deeper and wider sound stage. I| have listening to Shpongle - Are You Shpongled album and i can fairly tell that it is impasible! Outstanding efects! Damn but im still thinking about next mod, i have in mind two mods:
-change builded +-5v stabilizers to MUZG's shunt mini stabilizers
-change diodes for LT4320 ideal bridge diode
Some adwice?

I use a USB to I2S adapter, and only use the I2S input with this dac. I use the same power for the adapter, and iso3.3V, and found that improving that voltage made a significant difference, more than I expected honestly.

This is not recommended, but I've removed the opamps that provide +/-4VDC, and provide my own power to the ladder, and that was significant. But I also never made any of the recommended changes to that circuit, so I don't know how my dac compares to the more standard mod.

Randy

So you dont have 16capacitors mod? BC transistor mod? Sory for questions but my english i very poor. I dont want to add my own power suply to ladder, i dont think it is sens to do it, just change +/-4VDC stabilizer to somethink better, coz we allready have good power suply on the soekris stock power suply, Ihave salas 1.1 shunt. Can You show pictures of 4v dc mod? how to conect our suply.

So you dont have 16capacitors mod? BC transistor mod? Sory for questions but my english i very poor. I dont want to add my own power suply to ladder, i dont think it is sens to do it, just change +/-4VDC stabilizer to somethink better, coz we allready have good power suply on the soekris stock power suply, Ihave salas 1.1 shunt. Can You show pictures of 4v dc mod? how to conect our suply.

No, I don't have the 16 cap mod, or the bc transistor mod.

My dac mod info

My approach was to provide as good as power as possible at the power user. IMHO, using a salas shunt for the 12V input doesn't help that much, because there are regulators after the salas. Instead, I replaced the internal regs in the dac.

But, there are many ways to do this, and I have not compared my dac to one with the standard mods, and that is unlikely to happen.

Randy

YOu have betery power suply, I dont want to do this way. I think i will be good resultats even we change bulded 4v stabilizers. Can you write on your pictures where to connect new +-stabilziers ? LEgs of builded are that smal that is problem to mesure it.

My pictures show where I connected the + and - batteries, you would connect +/- stabilizers to the same places.