Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 Khz - Page 134 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th February 2015, 10:22 PM   #1331
soekris is offline soekris  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandor View Post
Hi Soekris,
I have received the DAC board. The box did not contain any instructions.
Is there a manual other than the schematic of the board posted on this thread?
I wonder whether the installed firmware is version 0.8 or 09. How can I check the version of the installed firmware?
Until the manual is ready, there is great info here: https://hifiduino.wordpress.com/2015...kris-r-2r-dac/

All shipping products so far have rev 0.8 firmware.
Old 5th February 2015, 10:28 PM   #1332
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acko View Post
Aside from this 44.1k 80s technology.... If your DAC is fed with a natively recorded super Hi-res material like DxD (352.8) would it make sense to bypass all these up sampling processes/filtering and operate in true NOS mode?
If feed 352K/384K then the FIR1 filter is bypassed. I have the opinion that FIR2 is best to keep on, it's a short one operating at high sample rates.

But when I release the filter tools and docs, there will be instructions how to bypass that one too....
Old 5th February 2015, 10:37 PM   #1333
diyAudio Member

Talking about filters.... The really critical ones are the 44.1K and 48K ones. I have been researching a little on the net, and found out:

HQPlayer seems to be the reference and their best filters is what they calls "Poly-Sinc" filters, but I don't seems to be able to find any info what they are exactly.... Anybody know something ?

There is something called "Windowed Sinc" filters, have found some references and t.ex. the ScopeFIR package can generate them.

Anybody knows of other tools that can generate them, preferable no or low cost ?

Any other ideas to what the best filters actually are ?
Old 5th February 2015, 10:46 PM   #1334
acko is offline acko  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soekris View Post
If feed 352K/384K then the FIR1 filter is bypassed. I have the opinion that FIR2 is best to keep on, it's a short one operating at high sample rates.

But when I release the filter tools and docs, there will be instructions how to bypass that one too....
Thanks Soren, this is excellent!
Personally, I have this fuzzy feeling about upsampled music, you know trying to fill in missing bits with nulls or approximations and then trying clean out with elaborate filtering that will only color the sound whatever the technology. -I think
So it is interesting to see how this DAC performs with with DxD selections notably
from 2l -Nordic

Last edited by acko; 5th February 2015 at 11:00 PM.
Old 5th February 2015, 10:48 PM   #1335
diyAudio Member

I have a feeling this dac will turn out to be like fine wine. Right now it has just been bottled and tastes a little rough. It's potential is evident though. Time is needed for its full potential to be realised. I think the filters will be one of the key elements. They seem to be just place holders at present until the options are better understood. Soekris might like to collaborate with someone who can really contribute in this area in an open source way...
Old 5th February 2015, 11:06 PM   #1336
acko is offline acko  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzagazza View Post
I have a feeling this dac will turn out to be like fine wine. Right now it has just been bottled and tastes a little rough. It's potential is evident though. Time is needed for its full potential to be realised. I think the filters will be one of the key elements. They seem to be just place holders at present until the options are better understood. Soekris might like to collaborate with someone who can really contribute in this area in an open source way...
I am sure it will be. My own expectation, if it can outperform the 9018 DAC, I for one would change my position from sell to buy (or resell)
Old 5th February 2015, 11:32 PM   #1337
diyAudio Member

All the experts here, is it possible to just run this DAM1021 as a pure 1 bit 2.844mhz pure DSD dac? Just combine all 28bit as one bit and program the Dac to do 1bit mode. Also the pcm value can be used as a perfect volume control. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 6th February 2015, 12:00 AM   #1338
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hop.sing View Post
I got my dam1021 DA in the mail today
Which version? It would be helpful if everyone giving subjective impressions mentioned which version they are using
Old 6th February 2015, 01:39 AM   #1339
casshan is offline casshan  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Hi Soekris,

I just got 9 pieces R2R DAC, thanks a lot!

I'd like to install the dac into my network player, replace the original dac. Does the R2R dac support I2S signal for CS4398?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CS4398.jpg (29.1 KB, 667 views)
Old 6th February 2015, 02:44 AM   #1340
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by casshan View Post
Hi Soekris,

I just got 9 pieces R2R DAC, thanks a lot!

I'd like to install the dac into my network player, replace the original dac. Does the R2R dac support I2S signal for CS4398?
I2S is I2S. You have three connections, plus 3.3V power and gnd.

SCLK -> BCLK
LRCK -> LRCLK
SDIN -> DAT

You'll have to workout where to pick up 3.3V and GND to power the isolators.

Hide this!Advertise here!