Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 Khz - Page 130 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th February 2015, 12:41 PM   #1291
diyAudio Member

You can never please everybody. Unless you sell 3 boards to people who like it already.

What you can do is let people know what they can tweak on your board, a manual with full description of which is which will let a million experiments begin and that is a good thing, that way everybody can play their favorite card - PSUs, batteries, filters, tubes, transformers, moon dust, this is DIY audio and everybody knows where good sound comes from.

I bought the board, it is a very exciting and promising product, I did not expect to have a TotalDAC for cheap(would not mind though), I bought it because it still has a lot of features that are important for me as a test tool.

You opened a can of worms with this DAC, now help us teach them dance and sing
Old 5th February 2015, 12:53 PM   #1292
Eldam is offline Eldam  France
diyAudio Member

A positive thinking.

Stock it worth its price, no problem and as many things can be improved (EQ, FIR, etc...) : it is a positive product. I appreciate some member like FOR want to help to improve a commercial product on the Datas side for the communauty !

A two cents question of a non technician please for the experienced diyers and designers : do the ceramic caps on the buffer output can affect the sound on a bad way ? Can I expect to have better subjective results with the buffered SE ? As far I understand 1.4 V and few hundred ohms of the non buffered SE output is enough for a 47k ohms input pre ?!
Old 5th February 2015, 01:29 PM   #1293
diyAudio Member

After a business trip I found the DAC already arrived, safe and sound. The build quality of board is very high, look lovely!
Now just wait for instruction how to make it sing, very exciting!

Thanks Soerik!.
Old 5th February 2015, 01:34 PM   #1294
Eldam is offline Eldam  France
diyAudio Member

Laptopav : read at the first page (some links and as well the Digital Link section) !
Old 5th February 2015, 02:14 PM   #1295
Can you say Audio?
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebastianL View Post
I power the dac with AC. It's a Gerth Trafo 4815-2 which was suggested by someone earlier in this thread. One of the cheapest ones I could find, just to sort of get the project started. I too am keen on a battery solution.
I have a suitable transformer 'in bound' to compare AC / DC performance. I'm very curious to see. While I understand and accept the logic that the onboard PS's are more than adequate, running with the S03 DC 12V and a Reflektor-D powering the ISO 3.3 - my impressions are much stronger than yours. It's very much in focus, dynamic and for the most part neutral.

Of course, given the differences in our hearing / preferences - this doesn't mean much.
Old 5th February 2015, 02:15 PM   #1296
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj1 View Post
Can you please share details on what amplification you used - or anything else in the signal chain?
Source -
Synology NAS WiFi->Lan repeater ethernet out via MeiCord Opal patch cable (as recommended by Klaus ‘Soundcheck’)->Squeezebox Touch w. EDO applet and BTWS psu, USB out via modded USB cable->Amanero I2S->DAM1021-01 onboard *xlr out via Artisan Silver cable->

1. headfi system -
Questyle CMA800R solid state headphone amp via Aphrodite Cu29 Zeus pure copper cable->LCD-3

2. headfi system -
Stax SR-006t-> Sennheiser HE60 electrostats

* alternatively rca out via Nordost Blue Heaven->

Note that I’m very familiar with the sound and performance of these systems as I have been using them both quite intensively.
Old 5th February 2015, 02:16 PM   #1297
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldam View Post
Laptopav : read at the first page (some links and as well the Digital Link section) !
If that all documents then I have problem , I do not have enough electric and audio DIY experience to start with that!

OK let start ... pull hair first!

If you and everyone could help me some hint to start, I like to find a fast way to make it sound now and go higher level later! May be connect with my AE/AppleTV ?

Last edited by laptopav; 5th February 2015 at 02:22 PM.
Old 5th February 2015, 02:25 PM   #1298
Joschl is offline Joschl  Germany
diyAudio Member

@Eldam
I remember Sřren posted about the unbuffered SE output that only a very low impedance load, less than 2k, will influence the rolloff of the passive filter.
But no other problems are to be expected.
So 47k load is well within the specs for the SE output.
Old 5th February 2015, 02:29 PM   #1299
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spzzzzkt View Post
Sebastian,

I've seen you say this previously and like others felt you had a problem with your setup, so I had a look at the specs of the gear you mentioned.

You've stated you were using a CMA800R Headphone Amplifier and a Stax headphone amp.

The CMA800R has an input sensitivity of 1.2Vrms while the Soekris has a SE output of 1.4Vrms and balanced output of 4Vrms. In both balanced and SE configs you would be overloading the input of the CMA800R.

The Stax 006t - which you noted sounded very musical - has a maximum input level of Max. Input Level at minimum volume level of 30V.

It seems to me that you are bagging out the DAM1021 because you are overloading one of your headphone amps - which is hardly the fault of the DAC.
All along it has been my intention of looking into the impedance match, but for some reason never got to it, assuming that the impedance would more or less match. Thought I had a pair of XLR adaptors lying around that takes care of that, but now I can't seem to find them. It's definitely a thing that's on my list.
I must point out, that with all the dacs I've used so far I've never done anything to accomodate the impedance. Always just connected them 'as is' them straight out of the box.
Old 5th February 2015, 02:49 PM   #1300
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebastianL View Post
Source -
Synology NAS WiFi->Lan repeater ethernet out via MeiCord Opal patch cable (as recommended by Klaus ‘Soundcheck’)->Squeezebox Touch w. EDO applet and BTWS psu, USB out via modded USB cable->Amanero I2S->DAM1021-01 onboard *xlr out via Artisan Silver cable->
How are you powering the ISO 3.3V?
Misterrogers mentioned he is using a reflektor which I imagine would be about as good as you could get.

Also wondering what the source is for your totaldac? The touch?

And thanks for your review, I agree to get all opinions out there.

Randy

Hide this!Advertise here!