Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 Khz - Page 123 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd February 2015, 10:52 PM   #1221
diyAudio Member

Good to hear you have it running since I, too, will be using WAVE IO but I would think two isolators is not good for the long term.

Those isolators are not benign and two cascaded cannot be ideal. Plus you do not have to worry about powering those on the WAVE IO board.

I figure we need to get a pair of those uFL cable assemblies, cut them in half and not use WAVE IOs isolators, just the SOEKRIS ones.

What do you think?

Just noticed from your photograph that both WAVE IO and the SOEKRIS share the same pinout for the ribbon connector. Would not have expected that. Oh, well, so much for convenience ...

Last edited by rickmcinnis; 2nd February 2015 at 10:55 PM.
Old 3rd February 2015, 01:46 AM   #1222
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tods View Post
Have it running with WaveIO.
The WaveIO has its own isolator, so I had to power them both.

cheers
Torsten
Please, definitely use the unisolated outputs of the WaveIO on the uFL connectors. I have two WaveIO boards and am strongly planning to purchase a Soekris R2R. It would be great to see the exact hook up of the two. Kind of wish Soren had put uFL connectors on his board. Such a great and convenient way to go with I2S signals.

Thanks,
--Alex C.
Old 3rd February 2015, 06:53 AM   #1223
TNT is offline TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Personally I would mot call u-fl convenient. But they surely offer the best signal integrity. Luckily we don't need that here.

//
Old 3rd February 2015, 09:20 AM   #1224
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmcinnis View Post
dimdim,

Thanks for your blog!

I was wondering how I was going to figure out how to upgrade the firmware.
Just want to make sure that I can flash the new firmware to the dac with the Amanero still connected without damaging the Amanero?
My motto is better safe than sorry. There’s already been a few members on this thread blowing up their equipment
Old 3rd February 2015, 09:26 AM   #1225
Dimdim is online now Dimdim  Greece
diyAudio Member

I have done it with the Amanero connected with no problems. I don't see a way that a firmware upgrade could damage the Amanero.
Old 3rd February 2015, 10:03 AM   #1226
TNT is offline TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

So did I - it survived!

//
Old 3rd February 2015, 02:40 PM   #1227
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT View Post
Personally I would mot call u-fl convenient. But they surely offer the best signal integrity. Luckily we don't need that here.

//
I have never dealt with uFL but have no choice with WAVE IO.

Getting cables which I will cut in half. Could not imagine attaching those connectors to cable!

PLUS I did not mean uFL was convenient - it was the irony that it would would be so easy to simply connect with the ribbon cable since it looked as it both boards used the same wiring scheme for I2S. I would have expected them to not "match" at all!

So all of that convenience for naught!
Old 3rd February 2015, 02:51 PM   #1228
RollE2k is offline RollE2k  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Actually i like u.fl connectors alot. I think they are simple - looks nice, and best possible performance. I would use them even though there are no "improvement" if it was possible.
Thinking about maybe making a SPDIF-i2s input daughterboard with room for transformer and u.fls and everything else. The problem right now is that i don't have time for it at all, so it will probably come later.
Old 3rd February 2015, 03:34 PM   #1229
diyAudio Member

Help Soren! What does it mean when power led blinks once on power up? It stays off after that. Input is measured at 10v DC, but 3.3v at j2 is measured at 1v?
Old 3rd February 2015, 03:56 PM   #1230
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollE2k View Post
Actually i like u.fl connectors alot. I think they are simple - looks nice, and best possible performance. I would use them even though there are no "improvement" if it was possible.
Thinking about maybe making a SPDIF-i2s input daughterboard with room for transformer and u.fls and everything else. The problem right now is that i don't have time for it at all, so it will probably come later.
Problem is ufl is they are very easy to damage, especially when removing them. But of the options available, they are best for signal integrity.

And a daughterboard would be very cool, I'm sure lots of people would go for it. I don't know how to layout PWB's, but maybe someone else will.

Randy

Hide this!Advertise here!