Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 Khz - Page 114 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th January 2015, 01:02 PM   #1131
TNT is offline TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soekris View Post
What left/right issue ? I believe I got the channels right, I did check....
In my system they become reversed. I checked it several times.

Strange..

//
Old 29th January 2015, 01:04 PM   #1132
dady is offline dady  Europe
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to dady Send a message via Skype™ to dady
I received this morning two boards from SOEKRIS.EU.
Thanks Søren. (Are you?)

Last edited by dady; 29th January 2015 at 01:07 PM.
Old 29th January 2015, 01:05 PM   #1133
TNT is offline TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The positive supply draw about 3 times as much current as the negative, in my test here I have around .18A / 0.06A at 10V input, total about 2.4W, the current is almost independent of input voltage.
On what Fs and output level?

//
Old 29th January 2015, 01:16 PM   #1134
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmcinnis View Post
SebastianL,

I could not help but think you are describing the effect of incorrect polarity.

If you have a way to invert polarity (which everyone should) I bet that recording might sound just fine.

Wish all resolving gear would include a polarity switch!

This DAC not having a balanced output makes it impossible to change polarity with a switch on the output.

Maybe your player has this function.

Maybe SOEKRIS can incorporate this into the firmware? Sure would be a boon to enjoyment of ALL recordings.
I doubt that is the problem as I have been playing the same couple of albums with a number of different gear. Also if the material is 180 degrees phase inverted I would get a sensation of nausea which I don't. (Believe me, I've tried that several times having worked as a pro audio technician).

Edit: I'm also feeding the dac board AC, and using the same signal cables I've used for years, so I hardly think I'm having a polarity issue.

A polarity function on the dac would be a good idea though.

Last edited by SebastianL; 29th January 2015 at 01:38 PM.
Old 29th January 2015, 01:21 PM   #1135
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT View Post
In my system they become reversed. I checked it several times.

Strange..

//
I thought that the Amanero was causing this, but I might be wrong. I have the same left/right mismatch.
Old 29th January 2015, 01:47 PM   #1136
soekris is offline soekris  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT View Post
On what Fs and output level?

//
Doesn't really make a big difference....
Old 29th January 2015, 01:49 PM   #1137
soekris is offline soekris  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebastianL View Post
I thought that the Amanero was causing this, but I might be wrong. I have the same left/right mismatch.
Let me check and correct if needed.
Old 29th January 2015, 01:50 PM   #1138
Eldam is offline Eldam  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikola Krivorov View Post
I was asked by a friend who has an XMOS OEM board which requires external master clock if that could be made to work the the DAM1201 - is there a way to send the clock to the USB to I2S board? (link to the board: OEM board - I2S over USB Audio )
One of the pin of the main DAM1201 connector is a MCLK output !

But this is not very usefull: such links needs a good coax and also the connector is important. Here the lacke of uf-L addes connectors on the DAC makes hard the connection work ! To rephrase it, you risk to have issue quality just with the plug you will add to your MCLK !

that's my understanding but at least I'm not a electronic technician ! I have a lot of hassle to make my independant wires to connect the I2S and SPIDF and avoid shorts ! Why such a connector on the DAC !

I really think a revision board will need more serious connector for the MLK output, the 50 ohms I2S like the 75 ohms SPIDF (layout for a PE or NEvawa pulse transformer... this connector really complicate things as already said there is no official standard for classing the outputs.

Is this pcb you link needs the external 5V or does it accept the voltage provided by the USB as well ! (as the DAM1201 has an isolator). Has it a 3.3 V output for the isolator chip of the DAM1201 ?
Old 29th January 2015, 01:52 PM   #1139
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by picovolt View Post
We're you using the same output off of the DAM 1021 in both cases? It seems like it, first you say XLR out, second time balanced out, which is the same, right? I wouldn't expect a big "synergy" difference, since both headlamps are SS. Possibly overloading in the first case? Or impedance issues? In any case, it's great that you got such a "musical" output. I've got my board in now, but still need to set up for input and power, so I'm a few weeks away at my slow pace.
Yep, using the exact same onboard balanced XLR output in both cases. The only analog output I have so far.
The Stax 006t amp is a hybrid amp w. a tube output stage. Might make a difference.
Overloading or impedance mismatch might also be a possibility. Have to check that.

Quote:
... There is also onboard balanced output drivers that can drive high impedance (>= 300 ohm) headphones directly.

Last edited by SebastianL; 29th January 2015 at 01:58 PM.
Old 29th January 2015, 03:22 PM   #1140
Eldam is offline Eldam  France
diyAudio Member

Could someone explain to me please in the SE spidf shematic Soren provides (I linked like Soren did the links in first page to open it fastly on the other thread as well) where the 1.2 V goes ?

On THE J2 1.2V ? Is this an input 1.2 V on J2.... I don't really understand what is the J2 utility ?

So J2, 1.2V pin to J3 IN- with a 1K R between. And between IN- and a J2 GND via I putt a 0.1 5 mm pitch legs MKT ?

Am I ok ?

So a two cents question as well : no problem to feed this 1.2V if SPIDF is connected to a device without playing (but switched on) while the USB entry is playing ? The FGPA will connect only the input where it sees a clock signal ? So I don'care if the LVMS for the SPIDF and the isolation chip for the USB are both powered as far as I don't inject in the same time two playing signals. It's to know if the DAM1201 can be connected to two different sources without deconnecting the wires !

Last edited by Eldam; 29th January 2015 at 03:29 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!