Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 Khz - Page 101 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th January 2015, 08:30 AM   #1001
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlevoice View Post
BTW: In my experience the Amanero is prone to clicks & pops when changing either sample rate or tracks - mostly so in foobar and less so in JRiver (although it's still there to some extent).
I have never experienced any clicks or pops w. SBT, Amanero and my R2R dac.
Old 26th January 2015, 08:53 AM   #1002
DQ828 is offline DQ828  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimdim View Post
Hi guys,

Here is a teaser:

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
I'm teased
Old 26th January 2015, 09:07 AM   #1003
diyAudio Member

UPS called today... They have a package for me
Old 26th January 2015, 09:07 AM   #1004
Dimdim is offline Dimdim  Greece
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DQ828 View Post
I'm teased
I will of course release the code and all the HW specifics once I have my board and had a chance to toy with it a bit.

Last edited by Dimdim; 26th January 2015 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Quote added
Old 26th January 2015, 09:12 AM   #1005
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT View Post
Ok, so it pops when tracks changing fs. Confirmed. NB: with Amanero Combo384.

Between pops, it rocks

I'll get back with more impressions. I'm positive.

//
Some more please TNT! If you could have a review with SPIF that be great!

Thanks!
Old 26th January 2015, 11:27 AM   #1006
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laptopav View Post
Some more please TNT! If you could have a review with SPIF that be great!

Thanks!
Quote:
I only have USB possibilities.
//
It seems that TNT doesn't have any sources with S/DIF atm.
Old 26th January 2015, 11:34 AM   #1007
RollE2k is offline RollE2k  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebastianL View Post
It seems that TNT doesn't have any sources with S/DIF atm.
Since he does have a Squeezebox touch he does have source with spdif, i think the problem is rather not having any spdif input transformer :-)
Old 26th January 2015, 01:35 PM   #1008
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollE2k View Post
Since he does have a Squeezebox touch he does have source with spdif, i think the problem is rather not having any spdif input transformer :-)
Silly me
Old 26th January 2015, 03:15 PM   #1009
SGK is offline SGK
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soekris View Post
****************** NOW TAKING ORDERS ********************

I have been working on a little side project, now it's time to present it for everybody here....

It's a DAC module based on a discrete R-2R sign magnitude DAC design, with FPGA based reclocking and custom digital filters, < 1 ps jitter clock generator, with 28 bit resolution so there is headroom, oversampling up to maybe 3.072 Mhz. Up to 24 bit / 384 Khz input from SPDIF, I2S and USB (via USB to I2S interface board), with isolation on the I2S interface. The board will be very flexible, with digital volume control and filter parameters that can be downloaded, a possibility is also to add digital crossover filters, but that will probably not be ready for first production lots, although the board is firmware upgradable over a simple serial connection.

The basis R-2R network has an output voltage of 1.4V RMS and output impedance of 625 ohm and can therefore drive a lot of things directly.... There is also onboard balanced output drivers that can drive high impedance (>= 300 ohm) headphones directly. The power supply is also onboard, just add a 5W toroid transformer.

It is a small mostly surface mount PCB, and yes, I have working prototypes, see below.... But it's not really something for home assembly, with the FPGA in BGA package and 600 pcs SMT parts.... So yes, if there is enough interest it will go into real production, with sales though two existing online shops in US and EU.

Performance of first prototypes using 0.05% resistors is better than expected, see 1 Khz -1 db and -60 db FFT plots. I believe that the sound quality will be the absolute best, better than any Delta Sigma DAC, in class with discrete DAC's from totaldac and msb technology. And for way way less cost :-)

An exciting project. I wonder, for a relative newbie, how would you compare the performance specs to, say, Theta Digital's Generation VIII S3 DAC?
Old 26th January 2015, 03:49 PM   #1010
soekris is offline soekris  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Thanks - looks interesting. How does one manipulate this settings?

//

Aha its not a setting but a control out pin.... Sören, can this be exploited somehow?
In principle any source should output zeroes when it don't have valid audio, if you need a "mute" pin then the source (read amanero) have a problem....

On the other hand the R-2R DAC shouldn't output anything without valid input data.... I'm currently muting by uC firmware, but that only check the input every 100 mS. There are supposed to be real time muting in the FPGA, but I had trouble with it, and as I otherwise didn't experience any problems with my setup (using a DIYINHK usb interface), I decided to complete that part later....

There is no direct mute input to the R-2R DAC, I just need to work on completing the FPGA mute circuit...

Hide this!Advertise here!