Pulsar Clock - Ultra Low Noise OCXO - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th July 2014, 10:00 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Pulsar Clock - Ultra Low Noise OCXO

In the context of the continuous research that involves many audiophiles and technicians in the improving of the listening experience we concentrated to the central role of the oscillator in the digital to analog conversion process.
The analyses led to the implementation of the Pulsar Clock, an ultra low phase noise oscillator capable to assure significant improvement of the sound quality reconstructed by the Digital to Analogue Converters.
The Pulsar Clock is a low power consumption oscillator compatible with the standard DIL14 clock pin layout, it requires 50 mA only for regular operation and just 150 mA during the brief warm-up phase at 3.3 Vcc.

Pulsar Clock is a so extreme oscillator to be classified as a "Dual Use" device whose distribution is ruled by severe international regulations.
For this reason we are authorized by the European Union Authority to distribute the Pulsar Clock in a limited number of countries:
Australia, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canada, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, New Zeland, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Swiss, United Kingdom, Unites States of America.

For those who are not in the above countries and are anyway interested to the Pulsar Clock a specific quotation request page is available to collect your wish, but a quotation will be provided only after and if a specific export authorization will be released by the relevant authority.

For the above authorized destinations a first batch of Pulsar Clock is now available and it is possible to request a quotation for the following frequencies (specified in MHz):
11.289600, 12.288000, 22.579200, 24.576000, 45.158400, 49.152000, 90.316800, 98.304000, 100.000000

The Datasheet and the Quotation Procedure are available at the following link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4J...XNKVWN0UzlvQW8
Old 26th July 2014, 01:47 AM   #2
acko is offline acko  Australia
diyAudio Member

Is this still active?
I have got no response from queries!
Has anyone else tried contacting them?
Old 26th July 2014, 12:36 PM   #3
ULNOCXO is offline ULNOCXO  Europe
diyAudio Member

Here we are Acko!
We didn't disappear, just a little problem we already are working arround.
I sent you a private reply.
Sorry for the inconvenience.

The Pulsar Clock Team
Old 13th September 2014, 03:30 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default ADM7150 for clocks and DACs

To work at their best the most performing oscillators need a good power supply; we designed the Pulsar Power regulator based on the ultralow noise ADM7150.
The board is ideal to power the most demanding oscillators and both analog and digital DACs sections.
The gold plated board provides a +3.3 Vdc low noise output regulated voltage accepting in input a voltage in the +5 and +9 Vdc range with up to 800 mA output current, compatibly with thermal environment.
To enhance the filtering capability both C0G, Tantalum and X7R technologies are implemented on the whole regulation line.
During the design tests it appeared clear the great influence of the Cbyp capacitor, the ADM7150 noise spectral density roll-off capacitor, so we allowed the user to customize such capacitor, both SMD and/or TH, with an easy jumper selector interface to calibrate it for best performance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pulsar Power Schematic 1.0.jpg (65.5 KB, 544 views)
File Type: jpg Pulsar Power Board.jpg (87.8 KB, 536 views)
File Type: jpg Items in Packaging.jpg (84.8 KB, 532 views)
File Type: jpg Pulsar Power driving DAC and Clock 1.jpg (81.3 KB, 529 views)
File Type: jpg Pulsar Power driving DAC and Clock 2.jpg (82.3 KB, 527 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Pulsar Power Datasheet Rev. 1.0.pdf (464.4 KB, 33 views)
Old 18th September 2014, 07:03 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

With the 3-pin configuration Vin-Out,No problem with the mass sharing?.In the Datasheet of the ADM 7150,the best level of noise spectral density is Reached with a value of Cbyp between 500μf -1000μf,why annoy to put a lower value?."A little off topic",The Sanyo Oscon SG serie is a good choice for Cbyp,the SG serie is replaced by the SP,it is also good.

Last edited by clsidxxl; 18th September 2014 at 07:32 PM.
Old 19th September 2014, 10:32 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsidxxl View Post
With the 3-pin configuration Vin-Out,No problem with the mass sharing?.
In principle a 3-pin regulator doesn't have any problem with the mass-sharing because it operates "in-line" and the ground pin is not used for return of the current flowing through the load, it is instead the reference with respect to the output voltage is regulated.
Through the ground pin flows only the small current that is used by the 3-pin regulator internal electronics, a bias current; I made a quick sketch to show the main and bias currents flow on the PCB where the 3-pin regulator is installed. This current is referred in the ADM7150 datasheet as the Operating Supply Current (Ignd) and is in the range 4 to 9 mA.
A line regulator doesn't galvanically isolates the load by the power source so it must have a unique ground reference. This is also the principle of the star ground, a well defined single reference point for all the ground referenced items on the board. Sometimes this star center could be also the whole ground plane if the application allows it, sometimes the ground plane itself is "star shaped" in accordance to this principle.
In conclusion the 3-pin configuration works on the principle of the mass sharing and EMI/EMC problems could rise only at PCB level, but all the PCBs I have seen in our diyAudio world shows great care to manage this issue.

Quote:
In the Datasheet of the ADM 7150,the best level of noise spectral density is Reached with a value of Cbyp between 500μf -1000μf,why annoy to put a lower value?
Great question! It is exactly what was in my mind when I saw for the first time the datasheet, I started to immagine plenty of thousend of microfarad installed in the Cbyp location, and so I did as soon an ADM7150 chip was in my hands.
At this point I discovered the first issue (well documented in the datasheet), the output voltage needed "minutes" to reach the working range!
We designed the Pulsar Power mainly to power up the Pulsar Clock so here I'm referring to our experience in this application but the same criteria should apply also to DACs.
The most impressive and unexpected effect was the influence of the value of this capacitor on the sound. The quality of the sound was influenced by the value of this capacitor and the good news was that it was possible to "tune" the system to perfection just seeking for the right value of this capacitor.
We tested the effect of all the capacitors required by the ADM7150 coming to the triple technology solution, but only the Cbyp capacitor showed a so impressive and useful tuning property on the sound system.
On different systems the best fit value for the Cbyp capacitor changed so we decided to install the 1uF and 10uF values that in our tests showed the best results leaving the room on the board to allocate other capacitors for a perfect clock tuning.
Why this unexpected effect? I thought long to this issue, in principle the Cbyp capacitor should just filter the reference buffer but somehow it influences also the output regulation. Maybe it makes the regulator, let me say, "slower" to react to load demands while in audio applications we need a quick and prompt reaction to load changes to drive Clocks or DACs output with great precision in terms of time (so jitter) and level. A too large Cbyp improves the noise shape and this could be a benefit for less demanding loads while our audio applications have larger benefit from smaller Cbyp because the ADM7150 noise shape is in any case excellent.
With a well tuned Cbyp we reached performances very very near to a LiFePo4 battery.

Quote:
."A little off topic",The Sanyo Oscon SG serie is a good choice for Cbyp,the SG serie is replaced by the SP,it is also good.
The Sanyo Oscon capacitors are for sure a good choice for Cbyp, their reputation in audio applications is great.
Any design requires a verification with physical hardware; our experience on the Cbyp capacitor tells that much more than any other component its analytical choice need to be verified by an "on the field" experience.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3-pin Regulator Main Current Flow.jpg (54.0 KB, 205 views)
Old 19th September 2014, 09:44 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thank you very much for your very detailed answer.The advantage of your board is its size,it lets you put to the connector of the XO,no worries Cable,and a weld instead of the connector,great
Old 22nd September 2014, 02:23 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default Pulsar Power board size

clsidxxl, your post makes me realize that I never mentioned the exact dimensions of the board, I post them here with the datasheet accordingly updated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pulsar Power Board Dimensions.jpg (22.7 KB, 151 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Pulsar Power Datasheet Rev. 1.0.1.pdf (458.7 KB, 25 views)
Old 22nd September 2014, 07:46 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thanks Pulsar.Is it be possible to have opinions by users of the Pulsar Clock.I will soon order a 45.1584 MHZ i use with the FIFO Ian.
Old 23rd September 2014, 07:29 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Pulsar,technology Oven Controlled is it really beneficial for audio XO ?

Hide this!Advertise here!