• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

TSSA V1.7 mosfet Current feedback amp module

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sonny hi,

Got around to check mine too and when the output passed 38V P-P there it burst out. Could listen to the MOSFETS buzzing along too.:D
The 470pF U2 D to S cap cured it. Thanks.
BTW I still get a bit peaky corners square wave like this one. Its there if lower frequency test signal also. What best compromise method do you possibly recommend to iron it out?

I do not see it as a problem, but C12 and C13 can be changed to an higher Value.
150 or 220pF.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I will see to find some silvered mica ones in those values to test at a point. As I am suspicious of small peaks on the square's corners could be hardening transient tonality a bit in any amp. Maybe there is more musicality to squeeze out of the 1.7. BTW the bandwidth is 750KHZ now (anti oscillation capacitor mod included).

I ahve the circuit on my table, but i am curious about the optimal gain for headphone amps... Any suggestions????

gain of 4 (6db) would be ideal enough to cater 16-300 ohm phones. Some phones could go as 600, but quite rare. High impedance phones (300/600) usually don't need a lot of current but voltage only.

Planar phones such from hifiman, audeze, etc. usually stay in 32ohms, but they need a lot if currents to sing. Though not always, these phones usually benefited from pushpull or bridged type of last stage.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Yeah, let us know your mod

Thanks
Do

Salas,
Please post what you come up with. I am a sucker for soft corners. I like the idea that this amp can sound even better than it already does.

Before I had any proper values SM caps for that (could not find any locally), Vgeorge came up to test since he has some SM values in his stash. He sent me screenshots and we discussed. Conclusion is that compensating there is not productive. The square becomes slower for slew rate and eventually distorted in shape, before the little pointy corner fully goes. Demonstrably, Sonny already had brought the amp to equilibrium regarding the overall design including tradeoff between non linear Ciss of the output MOSFETs (Drain out amp shows Miller), damping, and speed. So no VAS comp tweak helps further. Its down to the design concept. Maybe it would take a CFP OPS to buffer and/or some comp in the bias CCS speed, don't know. Those would bring in another set of worries nonetheless. Lets wait for Sonny to possibly evolve future versions with time to also examine such details. He is well aware of the fine traits in this line of amps obviously.

Below shots from left to right order are with 100pF (standard), 150pF, 300pF VAS comp capacitors.

Attachments

• 100pf.jpg
    100pf.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 366
  • 150pf 2khz.jpg
    150pf 2khz.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 357
  • 300pf 1khz.jpg
    300pf 1khz.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 323
Meantime where you all are waiting on me...

I have found an electrolytic cap that makes is possible to remove bypass caps for C2 and C3 (C4 and C5 is the bypass caps)

I can get this one in 1000uF which means that instead of 1.5Hz cutoff it is now 3Hz.

As seen in the curves attached the ESL and ESR values are that low that up to 5MHz it outperforms the Panasonic FC types.

I have them in stock for around 0.67€/capacitor.

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    244.1 KB · Views: 260
  • ESL.jpg
    ESL.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 254
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.