• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

diyinhk Store

All DAC convert SPDIF to I2S signal before decode.
Everybody know I2S is far better than using one more SPDIF layer

There are many semi-solution to avoid the unlock problem of the best DAC chip ES9018 from I2S input, including changing the DPLL setting but the trade out is lower jitter rejection, use metal shielding cover the DAC chip, use super high quality clock, or use SPDIF input. All method either reduces the sound quality or the unlock problem still exist.

This 24bit 192khz USB to I2S PCB is tested with I2S input to ES9018 with NO unlock problem(default power on setting, default dpll setting, no need metal shielding cover the dac chip, no need to wait for the lock to become stable after power on)

This solution uses 49.152Mhz/45.158Mhz oscillator and it should be better than the original XMOS and other design uses only 24.576Mhz and 11.2896Mhz oscillator

Welcome to comment!

IMG_1289_logo.jpg

Last edited:
use super high quality clock.... reduces sound quality?

haha your board looks pretty ordinary and yes, please do not spam the forum with your uninformed nonsense advertisements, looking at your design I simply dont believe that it does not have lock issues at lowest DPLL.

do you believe that the hive mind of ESS DIYers on this site is using 11.xx MHz clocks? we are running 45/49 and higher quality NDK 90.xx/98.xxMHz as well as running an i2s fifo which completely removes all jitter and galvanic-ally isolates it previous to synchronous reclocking the fifo memory output. leaving only the jitter of the clock itself + clock fanout buffer. so less than 1ps total

btw, you really should use less solder

Last edited:
oh, I am very sorry
but can we focus the discussion on the ES9018 unlock technical problem?
I am happy to see if there is any better solution than this one exist

Many people like big capacitor, eye catching design. I also totally agree that the listening experience is subjective:D

use super high quality clock.... reduces sound quality?

haha your board looks pretty ordinary and yes, please do not spam the forum with your uninformed nonsense advertisements, looking at your design I simply dont believe that it does not have lock issues at lowest DPLL.

do you believe that the hive mind of ESS DIYers on this site is using 11.xx MHz clocks? we are running 45/49 and higher quality NDK 90.xx/98.xxMHz as well as running an i2s fifo which completely removes all jitter and galvanic-ally isolates it previous to synchronous reclocking the fifo memory output. leaving only the jitter of the clock itself + clock fanout buffer. so less than 1ps total

btw, you really should use less solder

thank you very much for your reply!
it's the first reply on the technical side I am looking for:)
I am happy to send you a free PCB to test the NO unlock issue if you are interest:D you will believe after test it

The application note of ES9018 recommend continue ground plane to the IV stage, there are some hot design use two board approach.

Hi , I saw that you are selling this "new design" on ebay for 49$, so my question is what is worth the extra 20 $ from your previous design that costs only 29$ ? is it only that extra jumper added to the board for external power supply? cause judging by the pictures, I only saw that extra feature implemented from your previous design;

Hi , I saw that you are selling this "new design" on ebay for 49$, so my question is what is worth the extra 20 $ from your previous design that costs only 29$ ? is it only that extra jumper added to the board for external power supply? cause judging by the pictures, I only saw that extra feature implemented from your previous design;

:DThis design uses the latest CM6631A rather than CM6631, it may be the first public available cm6631a PCB.
The I2S output frequency of 49$/29$ version is different,
49version Crystal and oscillator are sourced from digikey, 29version crystal also sourced from digikey but oscillators are from shenzhen same as all current cm6631 design.
This version is target for user of ES9018, the volume is low, if the volume is high, the cost should down
hope can help, thanks

yeah look sorry for the obvious frustration, but we and certainly I, get tired of the forum being spammed with advertisements (mostly from your part of the world). when those advertisements hype boards using generalizations that may apply to other less technically savvy forums.... well...

there is at least 5 (probably more like 10 actually) USB->i2s boards here on the forum (some not even commercial designs) that use 45/49 and higher clock speeds for ESS and i'm not aware of ANY that use the lower speeds you speak of, some use isolated outputs, some not, some provide mulrichannel hires PCM/i2s and DSD over USB, with speeds up to 8 channel 32bit/352/384kHz for PCM, or DSD512 for DSD

they include buffered outputs with differential clock drivers, u.fl or w.fl micro BNC connections, 4 layer boards etc etc

so unsolicited ads like yours become the equivalent of junk mail in my letterbox...

Last edited:
yeah look sorry for the obvious frustration, but we and certainly I, get tired of the forum being spammed with advertisements (mostly from your part of the world). when those advertisements hype boards using generalizations that may apply to other less technically savvy forums.... well...

there is at least 5 (probably more like 10 actually) USB->i2s boards here on the forum (some not even commercial designs) that use 45/49 and higher clock speeds for ESS and i'm not aware of ANY that use the lower speeds you speak of, some use isolated outputs, some not, some provide mulrichannel hires PCM/i2s and DSD over USB, with speeds up to 8 channel 32bit/352/384kHz for PCM, or DSD512 for DSD

they include buffered outputs with differential clock drivers, u.fl or w.fl micro BNC connections, 4 layer boards etc etc

so unsolicited ads like yours become the equivalent of junk mail in my letterbox...

Thank you for your understanding, I am also very sorry if the first post causes problem. I should missed some great USB to I2S design, but the complexity and cost of this PCB should be the lowest for es9018 to run with I2S input without unlock problem for higher quality sound that SPDIF:D The two recent famous USB->i2s design tested with ES9018 in this forum uses 24/22 oscillators, according to the ES9018 datasheet 192*fs is minimum, this two clearly is not enough for use to run es9018 at syn dpll clock even at 192khz. Without syn dpll clock to i2s signal, there are power on stable problem and sound distortion issue as we know.

Last edited:
well yes, there are some still using 22.xx/24.xx (none lower) but neither of those are designed specifically for synchronous operation with es9018 and with the OSF enabled, any that are specifically designed for synchronous mode run the higher speed clocks. like the i2s fifo, Electrart, EXU21, waveIO latest version, USBPAL and then a whole raft with the 22.xx/24.xx clocks for hirez but not sold for synchronous mode with OSF enabled

neither is yours really suitable, I do not see any suitable connector or termination for MCLK. if its not intended for synchronous mode operation, then it really doesnt matter a great deal if the clocks are slower

I think it speaks more of the complete lack of real non upsampled native hires music content above 96khz, people do not really care that much if they are not being held back. there is some of course, but only very specific henres and much of it is not mastered at that resolution

192x FS is not really enough in my experience, 256x is preferred.

Last edited:
Welcome to comment!

1 Can you public schematic of the converter?
2. What firmware do you use( is it your's or standard copied from another converter)?
3. What are differences between your's and other avaliable on ebay?
4. Avaliable technical documemtation of CM6631 is very short (16pages),
do you have full documentation with registers and firmware programing specification?
5. What about PC side drivers for UAC2.0 (from C-Media or other vendor e.g.Asus)?

Best regards
JarekC

well yes, there are some still using 22.xx/24.xx (none lower) but neither of those are designed specifically for synchronous operation with es9018 and with the OSF enabled, any that are specifically designed for synchronous mode run the higher speed clocks. like the i2s fifo, Electrart, EXU21, waveIO latest version, USBPAL and then a whole raft with the 22.xx/24.xx clocks for hirez but not sold for synchronous mode with OSF enabled

neither is yours really suitable, I do not see any suitable connector or termination for MCLK. if its not intended for synchronous mode operation, then it really doesnt matter a great deal if the clocks are slower

I think it speaks more of the complete lack of real non upsampled native hires music content above 96khz, people do not really care that much if they are not being held back. there is some of course, but only very specific henres and much of it is not mastered at that resolution

192x FS is not really enough in my experience, 256x is preferred.

the MCLK in this PCB is used for compatible to other DAC, ES9018 do not need MCLK, the X49 and X45 with GND connector is used to connect to the ES9018 oscillator input for syn dpll mode operation. It is tested and run without the famous ES9018 unlock problem and it's no need to wait for the lock to become stable after power on

All of the above usb to i2s design is complex and great, but the cost must also double or triple of this CM6631A PCB:D the only trade off of this PCB is user need to switch between x49 and x45 for 44.1/88.1/176.4 and 48/96/192 syn dpll mode opteration. It's left for the diyer design an add on module to switch between the syn dpll clock or switch manually.
I am using 384x FS personally:D but the cost is a matter for publicly available

1 Can you public schematic of the converter?
2. What firmware do you use( is it your's or standard copied from another converter)?
3. What are differences between your's and other avaliable on ebay?
4. Avaliable technical documemtation of CM6631 is very short (16pages),
do you have full documentation with registers and firmware programing specification?
5. What about PC side drivers for UAC2.0 (from C-Media or other vendor e.g.Asus)?

Best regards
JarekC

C-media has property and NDA for the schematic, firmware and the full technical documemtation of CM6631. The different can be found in the pcb feature section. The PC side driver is from C-Media. We don't have PCB with ASUS firmware/driver, it's counterfeit and it's asus intellectual property. But you should also surprise to know that the ASUS one essence firmware/driver uses SPDIF out from CM6631 and no dedicated 49.xx and 45.xx oscillator is used. Technically, it's ridiculous.
The latest asus 0111 firmware should be the same, I am happy to see if somebody have time to test and report.

the MCLK in this PCB is used for compatible to other DAC, ES9018 do not need MCLK, the X49 and X45 with GND connector is used to connect to the ES9018 oscillator input for syn dpll mode operation. It is tested and run without the famous ES9018 unlock problem and it's no need to wait for the lock to become stable after power on

All of the above usb to i2s design is complex and great, but the cost must also double or triple of this CM6631A PCB:D the only trade off of this PCB is user need to switch between x49 and x45 for 44.1/88.1/176.4 and 48/96/192 syn dpll mode opteration. It's left for the diyer design an add on module to switch between the syn dpll clock or switch manually.
I am using 384x FS personally:D but the cost is a matter for publicly available

of course es9018 needs MCLK.... you are not making any sense. maybe the ess dac you use has a local clock and you are running the dac and your USB module asynchonously? if you are connecting your unit XO's to the XO on the dac... theres your MCLK...I dont see any suitable connector, but if you are doing that, this says nothing about your jitter performance, running synchronously the quality can be much lower without causing unlocks.

the 'famous' unlock problems with ESS are when running too low DPLL bandwidth when the dac is running asynchronously, nobody is reporting any unlock problems when running synchronously. if the jitter is high the performance wont be great, but it wont cause any unlocks unless you do something stupid

Last edited:
of course es9018 needs MCLK.... maybe the ess dac you use has a local clock and you are running the dac and your USB module asynchonously. which makes many of your comments a bit meaningless IMO

I use self-design ES9018 PCB:D
Actually, no ES9018 PCB available in the diy market is good enough.
I am happy to share this ES9018 PCB with IV stage to the public for only 99 soon(includes soldered es9018 chip):p half half the cost of the famous hot design and with continues ground plane to the IV stage as the es9018 application note recommended

I am happy to share this ES9018 PCB with IV stage to the public for only 99 soon(includes soldered es9018 chip):p

finally some good news about this ES9018 (compared to his cheaper ES9023 brother), I will buy 1 board from you so please inform us when it's ready, thanks

p.s.
aren't you thinking about building a new board or ading to your existing CM6631 design an ES9023 cheaper DAC plus maybe some small aluminium enclosure , so that buyers get a fully working async USB DAC which has standard 2Vrms output and can drive also headpones on the same output?
if you route out also an I2S output on the enclosure (using 8 wire cat5 cables just like with the network connections) it could be a hot selling product, allowing the user to use his personal and preffered DAC too;
just a hint

I use self-design ES9018 PCB:D
Actually, no ES9018 PCB available in the diy market is good enough.
i'm sorry looking at your PCB, i'm not impressed with your research, or PCB design

maybe its OK value, but again your comments inflating your design without proper research
i'm not a huge fan of 'that' PCB either, but its not the only one available....

Last edited:
anyway i'll leave you to it, i'm sure some will snap up your bargain. just a hint, I dont design an ESS PCB in case you think that, but insulting other designs while trying to sell your own doesnt usually go down too well.....

Last edited:
anyway i'll leave you to it, i'm sure some will snap up your bargain. just a hint, I dont design an ESS PCB in case you think that, but insulting other designs while trying to sell your own doesnt usually go down too well.....

I am sorry I am just trying to list the technical fact and different between similar function design, I have no intend to insulting other designs. Please accept my deeply apologize to you again.
I am very happy and you are welcome to provide comment to improve this PCB:D
I am not trying to make money from the audio sector, it's a hard area. I just want to share something cheap, good, high performance, reasonable and simple design to others, there are many ridiculous design like asus essence one uses spdif instead of i2s internally, some other usb to i2s PCB even uses double via in USB2.0 trace and sell hot...sorry may be I told too more again:p

Last edited: