• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

diyinhk Store

Hi Misak,
You may indeed be correct, I don't claim to be a tech.... Just testing, it shouldn't damage anything to try it. I can always drop in an analog supply... right now the little supply that I posted seems quiet, and is plus or minus just a couple of % from its posted voltage under load...Ripple current was good also. Haven't actually put the supply in the box with the boards yet, but I'll most likely at least give it a listen. I've seen digital supplies in with DVD and CD players many times. From my feeble brain logic, it should at least work.... its a busy time for me at the moment. It will most likely be a couple of weeks before I listen to it. I'll let you know.

Hi Tim,
no problem, my previous post was informative only.
Feel free to use your way ;-)
I will be glad if you post your experiences even with switching power supply.

I have now ODAC and i'm affraid that i must buy ES9018K2M with low noise power supply for hear some improve in sound. But the cost of ODAC was only 99USD and ES9018K2M+dual 12V+5V power supply+transformer=255USD :-(

The little supply that I posted switches right at 200k, it only varies by a few hz at full load, it is filtered now at every stage, it is quiet and fairly well regulated. I expect it to work fine and sound decent. If need be, a simple cap & coil will add some nice filtering. Yes, a really good analog supply would be better, but I do expect this to be quite good and about one tenth of the cost. If I'm way off, I'll let you know. Tim

Hi, I am quite new to the DIY DAC thing, but after getting a Raspberry Pi I am very interested in them. The problem is that the more I read the more confusing it gets.

But I ended up at here...with some questions.

Can I loose the USB part when using a raspberry ?
If so do I need a separate clock?
And which kind of extra power supply would I need?

Xerxes

Hi Xerxes75,
I'm not sure that I'll solve any confusion. What are you trying to accomplish? I will answer your questions based upon that you are looking at using Raspberry PI as a computer audio product... If that is the case the Raspberry is not the best choice... I believe most people use Linux on Raspberry. What operating system are you using? Linux? That changes the need for drivers. Most computer audio programs require 4gb ram to do a decent job i.e. Foobar 2000 or JRiver.
As far as using USB... You need to feed your files some way to your DAC. Whether that be by USB, SPDIF or Toslink, so no, you don't need to necessarily use USB, but it is becoming the most accepted format.
Do you need a separate clock? Again, I am assuming that you have been reading about Adaptive vs Asynchronous mode of getting your files to the DAC.... An Adaptive system lets your computers clock time your files before the DAC, An asynchronous system takes the files from your computer and re clocks them at the DAC.... Asynchronous is known to have better timing, lower jitter and overall better sound and which type of power supply do you need?
Assuming that you are going to use the DIYINHK DAC that this thread is about? The standard practice would be an analog supply, this DAC requires 3 feeds. 1 - 3.3v, 1 - 5v and 1 - 12v.... if you didn't want to use a power supply, batteries sound excellent. I am a bit off the normal path and will most likely hook up my switching supply this week end.
I'm not sure that I answered a single question as you intended. There are a bunch of people on this forum waaaay more knowledgeable than I am, read this, give good example of how you want clarification, I'm sure someone will chime in and help out. Tim

Hi Timlub,

Thanks for your reply. I want to use the Dac in combination with my Raspberry using Volumio or RuneAudio and I want to connect it direct via I2S using the P5 connector on the board. The reason I ended up here is that there are numerous examples using the Raspberry and the ES9023 DAC and adding a clock, I want to use less boards etc.
Off course I can just go and buy a Hifiberry or some sort, but I want to aim a bit higher (and less obvious).

Xerxes