Digital Turntable Tachometer and DDS based PSU - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th April 2014, 07:57 PM   #21
Pyramid is offline Pyramid  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones13 View Post
A suggestion I would make : could you offer a version of the Falcon PSU designed to be close to the motor (as mine and yours are) have a female IEC plug, and plug it directly into the motor, skipping the 6 foot power cord that I have bundled up behind my turntable now.
I was going to originally offer 2 options for the cable: NEMA 5-15F (what you received) or IEC C13 which would plug directly into the motor (will limit what you can plug into it). Almost everyone I asked when they bought preferred the NEMA plug, so I stopped asking. I will send you a new cable/rear panel with a 30" cable/C13 socket. They are easy to replace.
Old 8th April 2014, 09:01 PM   #22
Bones13 is offline Bones13  United States
Techie Wanabe
diyAudio Member

Thanks, that would be great. The way your PSU works, it really does not need to be near the turntable or the motor switch. Having them visible down below would work great, since you still just use the original motor switch for on/off.
Old 8th April 2014, 09:35 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Bones13-

You shouldn't even have to use the motor switch anymore. You can turn the motor off with a long press of the STBY button instead.
Old 9th April 2014, 06:03 PM   #24
RCruz is offline RCruz  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Well, I live in switzerland where I have 220v at 50Hz

My TT uses a premotec 24 pole without any fancy electronics... just a cap and some résistors.

I know by experience that reducing voltage to around 70 volts practicaly éliminâtes motor noise but torque is also reduced. Gains in micro detail retrieval are significative but the low torque makes the TT loose some "snap".

I would really like to try one of those PSU's but I Wonder if only one magnet in the subplatter is enough to keep revs going where we need them.
Old 9th April 2014, 06:30 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCruz View Post
Well, I live in switzerland where I have 220v at 50Hz

My TT uses a premotec 24 pole without any fancy electronics... just a cap and some résistors.

I know by experience that reducing voltage to around 70 volts practicaly éliminâtes motor noise but torque is also reduced. Gains in micro detail retrieval are significative but the low torque makes the TT loose some "snap".

I would really like to try one of those PSU's but I Wonder if only one magnet in the subplatter is enough to keep revs going where we need them.
The Falcon is only capable of 120VAC output. You will need a low power step up xfmr to bring it to 220VAC. The wall adapter that powers the Falcon is universal input (100-260VAC) and provides 15VDC @ 1.6A. The wall adapter for the RoadRunner tach is 120VAC input only; the tach will run from any adapter that can supply 8VDC-15VDC, 300mA. One of my customers in Greece substituted his own adapter for the tach.

Regarding reduced voltage, the Falcon always asserts the max voltage at start up (when torque is needed) or when changing speeds. After ~3 secs, it will reduce the voltage to a front panel selectable level (~85-115VAC) for lower noise.

Not sure I understand your question regarding the magnet?
Old 9th April 2014, 06:52 PM   #26
RCruz is offline RCruz  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

regarding the voltage, it seems perfect because I estimeta 70 volts to be the optimal minimum voltage for ultra low noise operation.

If it starts up at full power, it provides more torque at startup... ok

I do not know if it is a magnet that you use as sensor on the platter to cope with rev speed....
Old 9th April 2014, 08:18 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCruz View Post
regarding the voltage, it seems perfect because I estimeta 70 volts to be the optimal minimum voltage for ultra low noise operation.

If it starts up at full power, it provides more torque at startup... ok

I do not know if it is a magnet that you use as sensor on the platter to cope with rev speed....
Yes, we use a small magnet on the platter and a hall effect IC on the sensor PCB. We only need one magnet, because we are counting the time it takes to make one rev. It will work on the platter edge or the sub-platter.
Old 10th April 2014, 10:59 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

Could I use your produtc for a Linn LP12 TT?
Old 11th April 2014, 12:00 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

The Falcon will work with the Linn LP12, provided there is no Valhalla (or other internal power supply) installed, or it is not set up to work with the Lingo PS. If the motor is 220V, you will need a step up xfmr between the Falcon and the LP12.

The RoadRunner tach requires ~6mm clearance for the sensor, which I believe you have at the platter edge or the subplatter.
Old 11th April 2014, 03:52 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

I use Lingo, so I couldn't I use the Falcon?

Hide this!Advertise here!