Digital Turntable Tachometer and DDS based PSU - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd March 2014, 12:25 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Do you need to use your own adhesive for the magnet and sensor, or are they "self-stick"?
Also, this might be a dumb question, but can the magnet effect the cartridge in any way? Might that depend on how thick/thin the platter is?

Thanks!
Old 23rd March 2014, 12:44 PM   #12
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
diyAudio Member

Whats the difference between roadrunner and roadrunner lite ....
Old 23rd March 2014, 02:34 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
As I understand it, the Lite version has no frequency counter. That's it. You just don't get to see what's happening in real time.
Old 23rd March 2014, 09:33 PM   #14
Bones13 is offline Bones13  United States
Techie Wanabe
diyAudio Member

I received the Falcon and Roadrunner right before heading off to the beach this week. Looking forward to setting up this coming week. I had always thought the VPI was priced a bit high, and this gear, at half the cost, appears to be more functional, and small enough to sit underneath my VPI Scout if desired. I am thinking that the mess of power cords might be best not all coiled up under the turntable, but kept somewhere lower, and having only the power cord and sense cord coming up to the table.
Old 24th March 2014, 12:35 PM   #15
Pyramid is offline Pyramid  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure_Brew View Post
Do you need to use your own adhesive for the magnet and sensor, or are they "self-stick"?
Also, this might be a dumb question, but can the magnet effect the cartridge in any way? Might that depend on how thick/thin the platter is?

Thanks!
The magnet has a glue dot applied to it and while it adhesive is fairly strong, it is not permanent and can be removed completely if needed. Super glue can be used as a permanent adhesive.

The sensor PCB has removable double sided tape applied and can be moved fairly easily.

I have not been able to observe any interaction between the magnet and the cartridge; all of the platters I've experimented with are fairly thick (1" or more). On thin platters, it might be best to install the magnet on the subplatter as Big Kahona did in his review. Metallic platters should be no problem as they will provide shielding.
Old 24th March 2014, 12:40 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure_Brew View Post
As I understand it, the Lite version has no frequency counter. That's it. You just don't get to see what's happening in real time.
Pure_Brew is correct; the RRLite has no display, it is powered directly from the Falcon PSU over the serial cable and provides the feedback to the PSU over the same cable. The RRLite is the same size as the RoadRunner Sensor PCB (0.8" x 1.25"). It comes with the same magnet and is attached the same way.
Old 1st April 2014, 12:41 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Default Digital Tach and PSU

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCruz View Post
Following with interest
Care to expand on that?
Old 8th April 2014, 07:16 PM   #18
RCruz is offline RCruz  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramid View Post
Care to expand on that?
Trying to understand how it works, I am following this thread with interest.

Can your product power a 24 pole ac motor like the one in the linn or ariston ?
Old 8th April 2014, 07:41 PM   #19
Bones13 is offline Bones13  United States
Techie Wanabe
diyAudio Member

I got my Falcon and Roadrunner up and running. I ended up with a set-up like in post #2, as the tach cable is shorter than the connecting cable between the boxes. Its fun to watch the speed correct to 33.3333.

A suggestion I would make : could you offer a version of the Falcon PSU designed to be close to the motor (as mine and yours are) have a female IEC plug, and plug it directly into the motor, skipping the 6 foot power cord that I have bundled up behind my turntable now.

I might look to hard wiring one to the box one day.

Wonderful gear - works great - many thanks!
Old 8th April 2014, 07:54 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCruz View Post
Trying to understand how it works, I am following this thread with interest.

Can your product power a 24 pole ac motor like the one in the linn or ariston ?
The number of poles will not affect the operation of the PSU. The speed of the motor = (line freq*60)/#pole PAIRS. On a 60Hz line, your motor would be 300 RPM and have a pully twice as large as a 600 RPM version (12 poles/6pairs).

The Falcon PSU can accomodate 50Hz/60Hz pulleys and either small spindle (preferred) or large spindle through front panel programming.

The only other thing to be aware of is the presence of an internal power supply like the Valhalla that would get between the out AC signal and the signal reaching the motor (the Linn Majik power supply is only a filter, so would not interfere). The Valhalla could always be disconnected, but may need to be done by a shop if the end user is uncomfortable with modifying the table.

Hide this!Advertise here!