• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

AudioPower DPS-500-DA in GB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
danny_66 2x DPS-500-DA/FO / with frame
pinnocchio 2x DPS-500-DA/FO with frame
Eric06 2x DPS-500-DA/FO / with frame
Catal 2x DPS-500-DA/FO with frame
Jokari69 2x DPS-500-DA/FO / with frame
maxidcx 2x DPS-500-DA/FO / with frame

I m following you guys :)
Roberto, still not clear to me if the Frame is connected to GND (OV),
Personally I do not like to have 0V connected to Earth. can you confirm if this is possible ? do you provide a milar or silicon isolator ?

Thanks !

Hi,
I hope that all of you have had a good Easter as I passed in the family.
The Sicilian cassata was very good :) (typical dessert with ricotta and sponge cake).
----
Just for completeness, place on my thread some measure, some you've seen before on another thread, with the addition of some info to better understand the benefits of this new topology, compared to the conventional switching regulated. (developped in 2009,first production date 2010).

596 pcs around the world, with 592 customers very happy for the Audio result, in both class D / AB. only 4 issues, of course, replaced with new one module immediately.

Pic1:
Ripple 100Hz @11,8A(720W) (resistive Load->positive rail) measure on CN DC Output
CH1->Probe 1:1 (AC) 200mV/Div. 5mS/Div. (Full 150Mhz BW Vert. CH) Also measured to 350Mhz BW and 1Ghz Analog input scope.
CH2->Probe 10:1 (DC) 20V/Div. 5mS/Div. (positive rail on CN DC Output).
----
Extra info included in the pic, are not related to ripple, but in timing/relation to other internal functions of the DPS-500. as eg. the synchronous controller coupled to the phase AC Line. (as a PFC, but without the disaster of PFC ,it's just for audio).
----------------------------------------
Pic2:
Simplified diagram of the "linear regulator" in the DPS-500-xx.
----
Package Info:
The package includes (for each smps) a complete set, mylar form (220x95mm) + insulators (visible in the picture before putting), all stainless steel screws and connectors. PCB color = Blue.
----

Extra Info (related this GB)
I have taken the liberty of changing the standard version "DA" and push it at 61-63V.
Total of 30pcs, 24pcs currently available.
Since this product has received the CE mark, the change involved the entire set of measure, including EMI / RFI, and ac line behavior under load, including the PF (Power Factory).
This means that we can have more qty,after this job, but not any time soon.
----
Regarding the letters "FO", I decided to change to "Formula One". No problems with LC, who will receive the samples in a few days and will certainly show the measurements. absolutely no problems.
In practice, as I have already said, this smps has no particular characteristics made for the First One Amp, and therefore does not bind the name to LC.

The DPS-500 has excellent conditions for any amplifier, including BJT.
This is the reason of development and research that has been done.
Also, please accept my decision, I not want to participate in gB of the First One for smps.
Wrong or right, I am free to do as I want. in full compliance with all of you.

Regards

Attachments

• DPS-500-DA-FO-100Hz-Ripple-12Amp.png
    DPS-500-DA-FO-100Hz-Ripple-12Amp.png
    604.9 KB · Views: 263
  • Power Regulators note.png
    Power Regulators note.png
    186.7 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:
Hi Roberto,

Are you saying that the current GB here for the "FO" version is no longer available?

Thanks
Do

I think I have explained it well .. with my English. :)
This GB is valid, as it was open independently of the First-One amp.
It will be closed when the end 24pcs available.

In the near future, it will be available again, this special version at 61V of "DA".
I do not participate directly in the smps GB, for first-one thread.

Hi Roberto, not sure you have seen my question above about 0V in post #64.
May be I should take the Heatsink instead of the Frame, so I have no electrical connexion between the Aluminium and the chassis ?

Another question about this GB, will you ship when all the 24 units are reserved , or before ?

Thank you!

Hi Roberto, not sure you have seen my question above about 0V in post #64.
May be I should take the Heatsink instead of the Frame, so I have no electrical connexion between the Aluminium and the chassis ?

Another question about this GB, will you ship when all the 24 units are reserved , or before ?

Thank you!

Hi Maxidcx, your question I answered post #65
Package Info:
The package includes (for each smps) a complete set, mylar form (220x95mm) + insulators (visible in the picture before putting), all stainless steel screws and connectors. PCB color = Blue.
----
I have well tested with frame, it's a clean way of assemble in side of your case.

If some want, I can send even now (the 24pcs are ready).

Just for info...This "operation" of the aluminum frame, has had a considerable cost, I have dealt exclusively to offer a product "ready". I did not gain on the frame, see price.

regards

Attachments

• frame-1.jpg
    frame-1.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 217
Hi,
I want to take advantage of this break in the afternoon, to explain a few things related (in general), smps used in audio.
First, I show a measure of HF-Ripple DPS-500, pushed to the limit (continuos current) 12.6 Amp on the positive rail, measured on the output connector. (PIC1)
----
Just a few words about smps ripple:
On a linear psu, we have a sinusoidal ripple with very close to twice the line frequency, then, by (50 Hz), we have 100Hz. Obviously there is nothing else that can disturb (except for some spurious coming from the ac line, if the psu is not done well.

In the case of smps, we have a dominant at 100Hz (which can be not SIN) with sub modulation, of the frequency of switches.
To this are added, (A)spike in exact position (time) of the change OFF-ON, due to the switching of the FETs / IGBTs. and other signals derived from the imperfect adaptation of the primary inductance, parasitic, etc, etc, and in the end, the (B)ripple High frequency in Khz range (switching frequency). the ripple go measured in percentage or Vpp.

Classical view of what it contains a simple measure of the ripple, performed in the high acquisition, is shown in the two pics,taken from measurements on two standard topologies of smps.

Now, with some simple interventions outside the smps, it is very easy to reduce to a minimum, the residual HF (HF-Ripple-note B), considering also that in percentage of 20mV/Amp, does not produce catastrophic changes in the harmonic content and is eliminated by most audio analyzers, just to get good measurements.

For spike (notes-A), things are very different, these are in the range of MHz-GHz, can not be eliminated, they are the first reason, the lack of official use in large scale of the smps in the high-fidelity sector. also, by nature, inherent to these spikes, they propagate on the surface, via air, and via induction, both to the DC output, and vs. to the ac line. directly, and indirectly (bidirectional).

It is easy, to represent the effects of these spikes, with a simple fft at the output of the amplifier, but very complex to describe the effects on the harmonic content of the sound envelope.

The sole fact of filling a fft with harmonics, independent of what actually will change on the audio, it is already a big problem, have a fft full of harmonics, when a company wants to show the measures that have a nice amp. :)
This is a serious problem in the world high fidelity, not a joke.
Continue... show the fft with 3 model of smps.

I explained in a simple way, I apologize to other Eng.
diy perhaps are not well familiar with smps.

Attachments

• DPS-500-DA-HF-Ripple.png
    DPS-500-DA-HF-Ripple.png
    565.2 KB · Views: 195
  • HF Ripple.jpg
    HF Ripple.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 180
  • High-Spike-output-smps.jpg
    High-Spike-output-smps.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Are all Audiopower products Made in China?

??
We not produce nothing in China.
Also,All components buy with paper agreement directly from manufacturers.
just for info, we have laboratory with modern high level instruments 80% by Tek. all new (no surplus).
why ask ?
Ah... sorry, now understand eheh. yes "CE" logo distance..know. but is not as seem. this is a graphical issue. no problem, we have all documented and customer can require free.
---
Accept my logical deduction also, when a group is seriously equipped for research and development, also supported by long experience, there is no reason to be dishonest.

Last edited:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2b/Comparison_of_two_used_CE_marks.svg

I now attached image, all Audiopower products have "China Export" on pcb, some also have "China Export" on coloured plastic transformer cap, few items have CE Europe mark on plastic. Is funny, European product pretending to be Made in China then?

edit: attachement did not work, so I add link

Right for this is absourd.
Real fact perfect demostrabile is european with all certifications, started from big company locate in Italy (Milan and Torino) where we print all the pcb.
Some pcb have graphical error in logo. this is all.

I'm happy that you check it :) hope check other, in others pseudo..productors eheh!

I think it's time to stop that some developers are unable, then try to obfuscate the good products. why do not change the type of work?.

Last edited:
Regarding the CE i found this-

''CE stands for Conformité Européenne, which is French for "European Conformity." A product in one of the controlled product categories cannot legally be sold in the EU unless it has passed the tests to receive the CE marking.''

Regarding the CE i found this-

''CE stands for Conformité Européenne, which is French for "European Conformity." A product in one of the controlled product categories cannot legally be sold in the EU unless it has passed the tests to receive the CE marking.''

Yes, LMAO, logo used on all Audiopower pcb's I have seen in photographs on website and this forum isn't European logo but infact the China Export logo:D You got conformity statement with your Audiopower products (I remember you bought some?)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.