AudioPower DPS-500-DA in GB - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th February 2014, 05:33 AM   #11
Just DIY!
diyAudio Member

Hi Roberto,

I have finally received my chassis and will start assembling my Quad VSSA (LC version). I'll be using two Hypex SMPS180A400 and two of your marvelous DSP-500/DA modules. Now here's a few questions for you.

1 - I want to use two VSSA for mids and highs and two VSSA for bass drivers. For best sound quality, where should I use the DPS-500/DA?

2 - If I want to piggy back two DPS-500/DA modules with a 6.5mm aluminum plate in between them and attach the DPS-500/DA to the bottom plate of the amp by their heatsinks, is there any screws that should be isolated or they all go to chassis ground?

3 - If I decide to stack the DPS-500/DA instead of Piggy back them, any recommandations? What to do and what not to do?

Is it ok to piggy back or stack them or not recommended at all?

Thanks
Do
Old 25th February 2014, 06:51 AM   #12
AP2 is offline AP2  Italy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinnocchio View Post
Hi Roberto,

I have finally received my chassis and will start assembling my Quad VSSA (LC version). I'll be using two Hypex SMPS180A400 and two of your marvelous DSP-500/DA modules. Now here's a few questions for you.

1 - I want to use two VSSA for mids and highs and two VSSA for bass drivers. For best sound quality, where should I use the DPS-500/DA?

2 - If I want to piggy back two DPS-500/DA modules with a 6.5mm aluminum plate in between them and attach the DPS-500/DA to the bottom plate of the amp by their heatsinks, is there any screws that should be isolated or they all go to chassis ground?

3 - If I decide to stack the DPS-500/DA instead of Piggy back them, any recommandations? What to do and what not to do?

Is it ok to piggy back or stack them or not recommended at all?

Thanks
Do
Hi Dominic,
Without any doubt, use the DPS-500 for the bass, it offers excellent timbre, very dry. and, in the case of VSSA amp, ensures perfect rebalancing of the power stage, between a transient and the other.
I would recommend using the DPS-500 horizontally (like the pic post # 3) and changing the spacers with plastic. in this case, the heatsink are isolated from the chassis.

I not have in mind , how the Hipex 180A400 are arranged inside the case, considering 4xsmps.
Old 25th February 2014, 01:34 PM   #13
Just DIY!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP2 View Post
Hi Dominic,
Without any doubt, use the DPS-500 for the bass, it offers excellent timbre, very dry. and, in the case of VSSA amp, ensures perfect rebalancing of the power stage, between a transient and the other.
I would recommend using the DPS-500 horizontally (like the pic post # 3) and changing the spacers with plastic. in this case, the heatsink are isolated from the chassis.

I not have in mind , how the Hipex 180A400 are arranged inside the case, considering 4xsmps.
ok, it is just space that is the issue but I'm pretty sure I can make things fit.

So you're suggesting to change the standoffs to plastic? Should ot least one of them be metal for chassis ground safety? If yes, which one? I know that the two front (opposite to heatsink) have ground logo but not earth logo

Do I have to put in a shield cage around the SMPS to ensure there is no leakage of EMI/RFI to the amp modules?

Thanks
Do
Old 25th February 2014, 01:52 PM   #14
Banned

Quote:
ok, it is just space that is the issue but I'm pretty sure I can make things fit.

So you're suggesting to change the standoffs to plastic? Should ot least one of them be metal for chassis ground safety? If yes, which one? I know that the two front (opposite to heatsink) have ground logo but not earth logo

Do I have to put in a shield cage around the SMPS to ensure there is no leakage of EMI/RFI to the amp modules?

Thanks
Do
Hi,
The two screws side high voltage, are connected to EMI grid,then we put to heart gnd. then,only two require isolation.
A great contribution is just cleaning the Vcc output, this is an important benefit, not only for the class D. In addition, the irradiation and the driving (EMI / RFI) is the lowest obtainable.
Old 25th February 2014, 01:55 PM   #15
Just DIY!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP2 View Post
Hi,
The two screws side high voltage, are connected to EMI grid,then we put to heart gnd. then,only two require isolation.
A great contribution is just cleaning the Vcc output, this is an important benefit, not only for the class D. In addition, the irradiation and the driving (EMI / RFI) is the lowest obtainable.
The 2 screws on the high voltage side are the one with GND logo, so the two screws on the heatsink side need isolation, correct?

Thanks
Do
Old 25th February 2014, 02:02 PM   #16
Banned

Quote:
The 2 screws on the high voltage side are the one with GND logo, so the two screws on the heatsink side need isolation, correct?

Thanks
Do
The logo to say "put to gnd of the frame," it is a little confusing.
the two screws high voltage side, are connected only to the emi filter, no more, so they have to go on the frame.
Isolate with plastic spacers, the two screws side dc output.
remains the problem of the heatsink. if you use the heatsink included, this does not touch the frame, and is connected to gnd output. therefore remains isolated from the chassis.

Info:
I need that the heatsink is connected to gnd in the pcb, I remind you that this is not a standard smps. on board we have a class A amplifier stage, with 10MHz BW and two feedback loops (diferrential).
The DPS-500 running very stable even with no load or inductive load.

Last edited by AP2; 25th February 2014 at 02:17 PM.
Old 25th February 2014, 02:27 PM   #17
Just DIY!
diyAudio Member

Something like that

Click the image to open in full size.

Ciao!
Do
Old 25th February 2014, 02:30 PM   #18
Banned

Yes,very simple thank.
Today I work just on some update datasheet.
Wow! ...who developed this ..ahah!

Last edited by AP2; 25th February 2014 at 02:34 PM.
Old 28th February 2014, 10:11 AM   #19
Darb is offline Darb  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Hi Roberto,

I would be interrsted to use this smps dps-500-da for the first one amp. What did you think about this? Why will the "S" version better?
Old 1st March 2014, 08:43 AM   #20
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darb View Post
Hi Roberto,

I would be interrsted to use this smps dps-500-da for the first one amp. What did you think about this? Why will the "S" version better?
Hi Darb,
Both use same pcb version, the difference is in the power-units(trafo), just the "S" version is designed for high voltage,obvious with different current sustain in case of big.A-B class as 4-5 power devices on power stage for side.
This version of the "DA", dedicated to the first one amp also, the savings is about 65 , complete set including Nichicon audio grade. One problem...in case of gb, i can offer only 25pz D/A version., others qty available on AudioPower shop.

Regards

Hide this!Advertise here!