• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Modifying the Subbu V3 DAC

Tubo,

This is ok (Stixx answer). Could you please testimonie about the sound after if you try the two different resistors shunt values : 10 K (EUVL) and 18.9 K (JG) (or 18.7K if Sussumu RR resistor) ?

@J-P : putted in my next BOM project - about the AYA2 2014 project from Audial and the TDA1541 Distinctive board from the "TDA kit" thread - the MKS2 2mm pitch and the Vishays RPM (hurk... 10 euros, Black Gate price hope similar sounding!) but in axial (radial not sourcable anymore at Mouser... 3.3 uF (iirc the lowest value avaliable) for C35 test (but not for C21 or C22 because the price and happy with Nichicon PLE or Sanyo SP at C22 with the good matching at C21 with smooth Panasonic SEP 10 uf ... try, you shouldn't be disapointed ! very "analogic like")... Really for the curiosity only and to say I tested all the good caps of theh market !

1. Don't do this: C17: 1 Uf X7R + 0.1 uF COG (both SMD 605 case size) Oscillation of the MIC may happen.

I installed stacked X7R capacitors in C17 poistion. I used 10uF with 0.1uF underneath.

Now I have seen androa's advice against this, I'd like to check for oscillation. I have an old scope, but am unsure where to test or what to look for.

I presume you probe either side of the capacitor? Would be grateful if someone can advise on what and how to measure to check for oscillation.

Thanks

Joined 2002
Paid Member
. . . I'd like to check for oscillation. I have an old scope, but am unsure where to test or what to look for . . . can someone advise on what and how to measure to check for oscillation

One side of C17 goes to ground and the other side is wired to the regulator (U3) through an inductor (L3). Put your oscilloscope probe on the side of C17 that hooks up to L3 and look for oscillations. You should just see a 3.3v signal with very low noise. If so then you're fine. If you see oscillations then you've got a problem.

---Gary

Hi,

Have a question please Bud. Is the inductance better then stacked or in horizontal position on the substrate ? (Here it's possible to put 3x 0605 on horizontal position at C17.)

Small COG/NPO are said to be non microphonics about the 0.1 uF...X7R are, is it hearable here is an other question !

Do you have no risk of ascillation with just the 4.7 uF tantalum after the LDO if 10 uF X7R.

It seems simplier to paste Androa results : 10 Uf Tantalum at C17... but I will be curious jut for fun and learning about 10 uf Tantalum before C17 instead 4.7 and a small inductance smd 0603 COG 0.01 uF (datasheet of Fox crystal) or 0.1 uF at C17 alone ! And If the tantalum used at C17 an acrylic Cornell Dublier 1 uF instead (no microphonics, low noise, act as a 10 uF tantalum for damping: constructor datasheet). Surmise JP/Subbu tried this.

Certainly nothing to gain for SQ here but interresting for learning ! If SQ suffer from that, what is the translation for ears in real life (scope is listened by the eyes) ? harchness ?

@ Gary : is there not a cap after the inductor whic is not C17 and 4.7 uF tantalum populated ?

Last edited:
Oups:eek: sorry : is there not traces on the pcb for a tantalum cap between the inductor and C17 traces ? Does it change something about the measurement way you just gave ?

Sorry, I mistake: inductor is after the tantalum !

Well, would like jut for fun to know about this conf : LDO reg ->4.7 (to 10uF) Tantalum->Inductor->1Uf acrilyc cap (C17) or just 0.1 0603 Cog (the last seems to give oscilation?)

Last edited:
hi guys,

I've just installed the jg buffer and it made a really huge improvement. the soundstage depth was very deep and the images locked into place. very musical dac and buffer combo. i haven't tried modding the dac board yet but i will be installing the nichicon 470uf cap on c22 very soon.
by the way, im contemplating on using a super reg power supply (burson seriesII or salas) on the dac board and i was wondering what are your experiences with them? should i stay with the ps board that came with the kit or is it worthwhile upgrading?

regards,

Some came back to the genuine PS and Subbu/JP have maid a better but not avaliable yet PS for an other project ! Some very low noise PS are avaliable at DIYhink (Gary fellow hint). But look at Peufeu measurement elsewhere, the genuine is very low noise.

The sound result are also very dependant on the caps choosed : respect the BOM for the PS and chhose always the alternative parts, i.e. : the 0.1 wimas, the acrylic decoupling for the two 4.7 uf elna S2 is more virile but not specially better than the FM. For the ref decoupling : Silmic 2 is always near 4.7 (5 uF is the best noise decoupling for the chip) and the FM cap more than 4.5 uf... but don't know if it's hearable ! Big FM caps have low ESR, but I surmise improvements can be maid here with others ref... I don't have the courage myself... It is good enough like it is.

Tubo if no Sanyo SP avaliable, please use Nichicon PLE and maybe Panasonic SEP for different sound character test at c22 to set up "sur mesure". don't forget C21 : SEP 10 uF.
Would like your testimonies with JG buffer if difference are huges or not after the caps change. For me they are huge in my transparent system but I don't use the JG buffer yet...lasy and also the problem of minimal buying on the BOM...parts are missing !

Last edited:
Hi Eldam,

I will let you know for sure. I'll be changing c22 later with a nichikon 470uf PLF. Fortunately I got my jg buffer from a fellow member here. i'll probably upgrade to a better ps for the jg buffer. I'm currently using an adjustable LM power supply for it.

regards,

No tantalum cap at C22 ? where did you see that ?

I didn't like the PLF! The PLF has nothing for itself here and the PLE sound much much....much better... very two different caps here in my own tests ! I will keep the board as it is and just wait for the PLE or try to find a New old scon Sanyo OSCON SP (Partconexion ?)

In another way : I did no test with the JG buffer ! So here it's maybe a loss of time to play to much with C22. Look Page 36 all the tests I maid and go just above for the little mood BOM I maid with keeping in mind that the JG buffer seems to add a great improvement ! Here I surmise the 4 caps of the buffer to have more signifiant role to setup to your system and/or own tastes !

I'll check what cap i have for c22. i thought i saw a tantalum cap there. I'll try the one i have right now and see what it does. ill place an order for the PLE soon to test. I just might have a 470uf sanyo in the bin. i hope its still there.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Just got the word from Subbu that our new PSU boards have been made and some will be sent to me for further prototyping and testing. As you know we tend to make stuff as good as possible which takes time and as a result it is commercially not wise. Still we do it like that and we're proud of it too ;) This PSU is not officially meant for the V3 but for Squeezebox Touch, O2 Joggler and various other mediaplayer, DAC etc. devices. In other words, it is suitable for any device that needs a good low voltage linear power supply if only to get rid of mediocre performing and radiating SMPSes.... It is a compact, low noise, low loss/heat, low wiring one board solution (no modular thinking at Subbu Audio) and it can deliver 5 V DC at 3 A available at 2 outputs. Other voltages are possible but those are not tested yet. Those who wish to try can use it on V3. I will open a new thread on it when the boards are here.

Last edited:
Sounds interresting.

Doesn't know that SB Duet or Touch need so much current !

Do we plan to allow negative voltage like -5V or -15V (no I don't think at all to the TDA1541 :D) ?... or +15V for the JG Buffer !

Hope you will try some Nichicon and Rubycon to challenge the Panasonic FM for main filtering... some says Nichicon FC (little brother of the FM) is said to be good as first cap after the bridge...if staying with FM after the Pi !

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
They do need some current if you connect an external harddisk, USB drive etc. It is also better to have some "reserve", headroom or whatever it can be called.

We don't plant to add negative voltages as we don't care much about TDA chips as those are obsolete with a high risk of getting fakes etc. I did the design to make it as versatile as possible for higher current single supply low voltage devices as described in the earlier post. If one wants to power the fridge with it that is fine with us but we intended its use for aforementioned devices. Take it or leave it. First boards will be delivered with appropriate Rcore transformers (Europe only considering shipping costs). Heatsink is onboard of course, no modular designs at Subbu Audio for now. Please remember that we won't be rich by offering this device, I just need one or two myself...See it as a service if you need such a PSU.

Since it is higher current snap in caps are used, no Pana FM available...please check datasheets for hard data on current etc.

Last edited: